Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

To cover or not to cover?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Sgreen

Post by Sgreen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:19 pm

My toy has nearly reached her third birthday and I am trying to work out if to take out the extended BMW warranty.

I was wondering if anyone had taken out the extended cover, if so is it worth the money?

Regards

Sharon
Supra twin turbo, great in a straight, rubbish around twistys
NSX, pretty cool but no heated seats and can't get top down
Z4 23i sdrive, now gone, got the wrong car, need more power.
Z4 35is loved and missed
Z4 M40i one word sums it up Wow!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Sgreen wrote:My toy has nearly reached her third birthday and I am trying to work out if to take out the extended BMW warranty.

I was wondering if anyone had taken out the extended cover, if so is it worth the money?

Regards

Sharon
Has your car proven reliable since you've owned it? I would rather put some cash in a piggy bank each month just in case-if it doesn't go wrong you're winning :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Sgreen wrote:My toy has nearly reached her third birthday and I am trying to work out if to take out the extended BMW warranty.

Regards

Sharon
Has your car proven reliable since you've owned it? I would rather put some cash in a piggy bank each month just in case-if it doesn't go wrong you're winning :P
Rob
It's been argued about a fair bit on here Sharon, most go with taking a warranty out, fair enough, personally I'm with Mr Bear here, stick the cash in a pot until if it's needed, but you've got a nice little party fund saved if it isn't. My theory is that insurance companies exist because they make oodles of money, some you have to have, but the least you can have the better in my book. Everything's a risk, yes there are the odd big failures but you hedge your bets.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:30 pm

I expect the e89 will be different. However thus far mine has cost me £400 for a new radiator fan in 5 years. If it explodes tomorrow the money I've not spent thus far on warranties should cover it. :D Fingers crossed, I don't think it will any time soon, but you never know. :D

Ask yourself, can I afford to fix it if it goes bang? If you can, then do your own insurance and stick the money in the bank. If not, then take out insurance with someone else, simples. :wink:

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm also of the opinion that touch wood nothing too major is likely to happen. My cars ten years old this year, ive owned it for six months and had it serviced today by my local Indy who has advised the wheel bearing has just started to pack up. It's the only money outside of consumables it's cost me. It's going to cost me £150 to put right but I would have lost a fair bit more if I was paying the warranty. Dealers don't like warranty work and often try to avoid taking the blame. Money put away each month for me.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Mine is due to beout of warranty in 7 months and at the momentIagree with putting money aside each month. The dual clutch is a worry if that goes bang though.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:34 am

are there any week points about any of the E89 cars that cause concern ?
2016 Z4 M Sport 2L 181hp/130hp per ton
2015 Ariel Atom 2L 245hp/445hp per ton

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 am

Rocket Man wrote:are there any week points about any of the E89 cars that cause concern ?
Not really. The E85 has the dreaded roof motor and coil spring issues.
The E89 has the cracked alloy problems with 296/326 wheels that's mainly caused by the RFT's. Other than that not really any comon problems across the range.

I had a £3000 job done under warranty during 2nd year of ownership. Set of injectors and a module.
If I keep paying my £48 a month for the next few years I'll still be quids in even if I never make another claim.
If I didn't have the warranty I'd be putting £100 each month into a bank acount coz nothings cheap on these cars. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:53 am

Some may disagree:-

BMW N54 engine

Common problems

1. The most common problem of N54 engine is connected with high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). It will serve you not more than ~50 000 km (30 000 miles) of mileage in case you use fuel of low quality. The main symptoms of HPFP problems include reduced power; the price of new HPFP is not very high.

2. Sometimes problems of white smoke may also occur. This is when you need to check the coolant level which is the main cause of such problem in the majority of cases.

After 100,000 km (60,000 miles) of mileage high pressure fuel injectors often go out of order in N54 engines. The same duration term is for water pump and turbocharger. Spark plugs will serve for about 20,000 km (12,000 miles) of mileage.
Abovementioned figures also depend on level and type of usage.

Summing up we can say that this engine is rather reliable and powerful. Owners will hardly face any problems. At the same time this motor has high level of durability and long lifespan. In addition it is the best bet for those who like different tuning experiments. This is why BMW N54 is one of the best engines ever produced by major bavarian automaker.

Full link here: http://mywikimotors.com/n54b30/#Problems

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Rocket Man wrote:are there any week points about any of the E89 cars that cause concern ?
Yup. The roof microswitches are a problem. Had 2 of mine go. Luckily it was under extended warranty.

I pay £36 a month with £100 excess. Bmw typically charge £120+vat per hour. It won't take many hours work to ramp up a bill in excess of my yearly premium. That's not including parts, which are again a lot and sometimes only available from
Bmw.

Now I know you can take it elsewhere that's cheaper, but I think some garages might struggle with some of the more tricky e89 things, such as the roof.

Me personally, I like the piece of mind for less than £450 a year.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Timdon

Post by Timdon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:17 pm

I am so glad I took the extended warranty , I pay £29 a month with a £250 Excess ,last year I claimed for new injectors,and auto gear box leak over £2000 and this year a water pump ,all this on a 2012 with 20000 miles on, maybe I'm just unlucky . :thumbsdown:

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:37 pm

This, for me, is a thought provoking thread as in October this year I face the same question as the OP. To make matters worse I have an excellent, well proven Indy less than 10 miles away who helped me out "for a drink" even though the car was under BMW warranty.

For those that have the BMW extended warranty does it cover EVERYTHING the original warranty covered under the same terms and conditions?

I've only ever had one extended warranty (Harley Davidson, some years ago now) and it proved to be useless. Nasty bearing type sound from the engine. Warranty wouldn't entertain any investigation, said come back when it's a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE. What??? :o

The dealer fudged some words and got a top end strip down approved - then the warranty company wouldn't pay the workshop rates saying H-D rates were too high. Got it sorted in the end - but swore I'd never have one again.

So I'm a bit on the cautious side, but from what I've read on here people seem to fare better with their claims. Hasten to add that the extended warranty I had was insurance not manufacturers.