Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts on Cracked 296 alloys please

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:41 pm

mr wilks and Marlon are right, of course.

In the real world, wheels need protecting with the best reasonable profiles.

And correct pressures.
Vidi, vici, veni

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm

I take a different view. The only real evidence I have seen is that the 296's fail. I think it is enough to know they have a problem with the design/manufacturing of that wheel since it seems to be pretty much a 296 issue. Potholes, small sidewalls, RFT vs. non RFT also play a role, but in the end, its the 296 wheels that occasionally FAIL!

I needed a set of wheels for track and summer driving, so I set about learning all I could about alloys and was blessed to have an old school chum who runs an injection molding business. He uses several different processes for making wheels and simply steered me towards wheels that were NOT gravity fed, but low or high pressure molded wheels for the significant strength gains.

The problem is the 296 is a GREAT looking wheel on the Z, so I found a wheel that looked pretty close rather than clinging to a "BMW OEM only" ethic, and now have higher confidence my wheels are not prone to cracking.

Here's an article on the subject:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/te ... ?techid=90

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Z4Rick wrote:I take a different view. The only real evidence I have seen is that the 296's fail. I think it is enough to know they have a problem with the design/manufacturing of that wheel since it seems to be pretty much a 296 issue. Potholes, small sidewalls, RFT vs. non RFT also play a role, but in the end, its the 296 wheels that occasionally FAIL!

I needed a set of wheels for track and summer driving, so I set about learning all I could about alloys and was blessed to have an old school chum who runs an injection molding business. He uses several different processes for making wheels and simply steered me towards wheels that were NOT gravity fed, but low or high pressure molded wheels for the significant strength gains.

The problem is the 296 is a GREAT looking wheel on the Z, so I found a wheel that looked pretty close rather than clinging to a "BMW OEM only" ethic, and now have higher confidence my wheels are not prone to cracking.

Here's an article on the subject:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/te ... ?techid=90
I would add the 326 wheel to that list as well, seems like its not rare for them to crack on the rear inside rim :(
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

SpiketheBike

Post by SpiketheBike » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm one of those who downsized to 18s. Still running RFTs. Did not want the worry of not having a spare. Ride is, I think, slightly better, but it's totally subjective I guess. :)
2011 Z4 SDrive 23i Highline pack. White with Coral Red leather, 18" 293s with RFTs & Pirellis. LED interior lights. Cree 80W Angel Eyes. Stubby