Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z Thievery

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Deepseaskateboard

Z Thievery

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 am

So Z4 may be ok on the drive.... but I would need a fortress in which to park an X6 by the look of it!!

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Z Thievery

Post by MACK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Interesting stats but I'm not sure I believe the 1 series figure is that low, not with all the M135i etc that get pinched!
The low theft rate is probably a key factor in keeping zed insurance premiums reasonable. When you play around on the price comparison sites etc mines cheaper to insure than a similar age/value 1 series diesel covering the same mileage. Strange as the 1 series is a group 26 car and the zed 44.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

freemadw

Z Thievery

Post by freemadw » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:58 pm

I did think the 1 Series numbers seemed a bit low given how many you see. Mind you, there aren't that many M135i/M140i's about.
I would imagine that the X6 numbers were influenced by the OBD vulnerability.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

jamiez

Z Thievery

Post by jamiez » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 am

Would you really want your car back should it be nicked tho? And with a tracker installed you are going to increase that chance.

If it's stolen / recovered then it will be recorded against your car and it will immediately be worth alot less and harder to sell. Cat D qualification I believe.

I had an e85 stolen back in 2009 and if was never recovered.
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Z Thievery

Post by Stark » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:13 am

I see people on high end cars using steering locks. Any point if you haven't got the keys to steal it with?

Anyone using steering locks on here?

Doddsy

Z Thievery

Post by Doddsy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 am

jamiez wrote:Would you really want your car back should it be nicked tho? And with a tracker installed you are going to increase that chance.
I've always said I wouldn't want it back too. Although I would be really gutted if the Z4 was nicked.
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

ric19

Z Thievery

Post by ric19 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 am

Yes I stick a Dislok on mine at night, help me sleep better :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Z Thievery

Post by MACK » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 am

jamiez wrote:Would you really want your car back should it be nicked tho? And with a tracker installed you are going to increase that chance.

If it's stolen / recovered then it will be recorded against your car and it will immediately be worth alot less and harder to sell. Cat D qualification I believe.

I had an e85 stolen back in 2009 and if was never recovered.

It all depends on whats happened with it while its stolen I suppose.

If its literally been driven to a lock up or left on the street and its recovered, why wouldn't you want it back if all you would be doing is replacing it like for like. Its probably not been abused as the thief wont want the attention when driving it and if its car key theft there wont be any damage. A main dealer could then reprogram the security system to block the stolen keys etc and for relatively little cost your back motoring. the alternative is a claim and the hassle and expense of excesses, loss of NCB and of course finding another.

If its been gone for weeks and joyrided to death, well that's a different matter.

Just to clarify
Cars are only markered with HPI etc as stolen recovered if there's been a insurance payout. Not if their stolen and then recovered the next day by the Police etc and have never been a total loss to an insurer. Its only when they have paid out for a vehicle and its later recovered that this happens.
Cat C/D is entirely separate and applies only to accident damaged vehicles, not stolen recovered etc.

Where was your E85 taken from? Was it a home burglary or was the car specifically the target?
Last edited by MACK on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Z Thievery

Post by Marlon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 am

Stark wrote:I see people on high end cars using steering locks. Any point if you haven't got the keys to steal it with?

Anyone using steering locks on here?
I went out and bought a Stoplock Pro after having a nightmare that my car was stolen :cry:

As you can see it doesn't loop through the M wheel and its a very tight fit but its a good deterrent for the opportunist, plus it wins the Auto Express steering wheel lock group test 2016 :)

Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Deepseaskateboard

Z Thievery

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:47 am

The tracker may help to shut down their operation. I read a group was recently caught with a whole bunch of stolen cars after they stole a 3 Series with a tracker.

The day I notice the car missing would be the day I locate it, and if the police arent sitting around, hopefully they will get it the same day.

Im not sure how long these things take tho.

The tracker I have in mind can be live tracked from a phone, so its location can be viewed in real time! Hehe.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Z Thievery

Post by Nictrix » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:24 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote:So Z4 may be ok on the drive.... but I would need a fortress in which to park an X6 by the look of it!!
:o :o :(
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Paulr

Z Thievery

Post by Paulr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 pm

What happens these days is to nick the car and park it up for a few days in an old car park somewhere, and come back to it a week later to see if it was trackered. If not they carry on.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

obewan

Z Thievery

Post by obewan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm

I noticed on opening 'maps' on my iPhone that as well as myself, the position of my car was also indicated. Not quite a tracker but could be useful
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Deepseaskateboard

Z Thievery

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:25 pm

obewan wrote:I noticed on opening 'maps' on my iPhone that as well as myself, the position of my car was also indicated. Not quite a tracker but could be useful
How did you get this working?

Is this a feature on a more modern E89 with bmw online features?

obewan

Z Thievery

Post by obewan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote:
obewan wrote:I noticed on opening 'maps' on my iPhone that as well as myself, the position of my car was also indicated. Not quite a tracker but could be useful
How did you get this working?

Is this a feature on a more modern E89 with bmw online features?
I didn't knowingly :D
No on line features with my car
I paired my new phone with the car and a few days later noticed it also showed my car position - even when I was away on a business trip at the other side of the country
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport