Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should I Part with my OEM Seats

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ibroker

Post by ibroker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:48 pm

I have replaced the seats in my car which means I have a set as below, not my car in this picture but the same. I have been asked by a non board member if I want to part with them. Had a scout on ebay etc and have never seen any for sale, black cream or otherwise? Has anyone else seen any come up? Had a look on the for sale section here and also nothing.

Its very unlikely I will put them back in the car but I am unsure for what he has offered if I should just stick them in the garage and forget them, if they never appear on ebay etc and as such are that irreplaceable if you follow. As the car ages it becomes less and less of an issue I guess. Im on the fence!!!
Attachments
c.JPG
c.JPG (67.47 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

willgill

Post by willgill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:07 pm

They will certainly sell for very decent money (I'd guess well over a grand), I guess it all depends on whether you need the cash or care about the future resale value of the car in its OEMguise

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Most people are after an original car, I'd keep them for the car's future value.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Unless you can keep them pristine and totally dry I'd sell them. They'll get damp in most garages.

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Most people are after an original car, I'd keep them for the car's future value.
Rob
Agree with Rob I recently p/x'd my Z and I'd replaced the original seats, going from the all cloth type to partial leather but I'd kept the originals.
Dealer wanted the originals and that's what he did.
I would keep although they are a pain to store.
2.2R Toledo Blue

ibroker

Post by ibroker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Maniac wrote:Unless you can keep them pristine and totally dry I'd sell them. They'll get damp in most garages.
That didn't even cross my mind but is spot on. Looks like it may have tipped the balance in the long run.

Not worried about the originality of the car there many years away from classic status only then will the issue become relevant

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:50 pm

I would put them back in the car.
Might get shot for this but although your new seats look nice they dont suit the car. :?
The angles of the seats look all wrong compared to the roll hoops.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ibroker

Post by ibroker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:02 pm

It was change the seats or sell the car. I could not live with the lack of comfort the standard seats provided. They did not agree with me hence the change, there a very poor seat.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:40 am

I'd opt to keep them to put back in the car if you ever wish to part company with it....of course if you're keeping it forever then sell them.
I think those trim colours were only available with the Valencia Orange exterior....hopefully someone more knowledgable can confirm this.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 am

ibroker wrote:
Maniac wrote:Unless you can keep them pristine and totally dry I'd sell them. They'll get damp in most garages.
That didn't even cross my mind but is spot on. Looks like it may have tipped the balance in the long run.

Not worried about the originality of the car there many years away from classic status only then will the issue become relevant
Don't agree about the classic status thing, I think the majority of buyers looking at modern cars like to see an unmolested/unmodified example.
I wouldn't have bought my car if the original bmw seats weren't fitted, maybe I'm overly fussy :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 am

What is your plan with your car? In terms of keeping it forever? If so, sell the seats. Upgrading in a few years? Keep the seats and wrap them very well! May need to release funds at a later date? Also keep seats.

I'm in to modifying cars but I'd disregard buying yours based upon the seats you have in it.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:25 am

I'd be put off buying a car with non standard seats, would have to be a lot cheaper to make me consider it. As others have said, you want to keep hold of them if you plan on moving the car along in the next few years.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 am

ref them getting damp in a garage, my dads had a set of e36 seats in an unheated damp garage for circa 10 years and have no mould on them, just covered with a tarpaulin. They wont be an issue just as long as you dont leave them in the back garden! A quick hoover & wipe with a damp cloth will be fine if you come back to them.

Its not like it a bog standard 3 series, its a special Z4 with a special standard trim- i'd defo be inclined to keep them unless he's offering you a substantial amount!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am

Bear in mind that you might get a grand for them now, but how much are you going to loose by not having them in the car come resale time, plus what you could sell the seats currently in the car for. Storage long term usually isn't an issue. If your worried about it wrap/seal them in plastic sheeting in a warm dry environment and then place them in the garage/shed etc. Will be fine. When you think about it, its no worse than them being in a car stored long term in garage.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ibroker

Post by ibroker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:51 am

Going to wrap them up and keep them. The consensus seems to be they may be required if I ever sell it so for the 500 to 1000 they may or not be worth I think it prudent to retain them.

Appreciate everyone's input. :happyclap: :happyclap: