Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuse Box from hell

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Rockford

Fuse Box from hell

Post by Rockford » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Just wanted to have a vent more than anything!

Who on earth thought the design for the E89 interior fuse box was remotely fit for purpose?

Three screws in passenger footwell that are impossibly difficult to undo, pull cover off, manual vaguely suggests there will be a "Shiny catch" which I am to simply release to reveal the wonderful array of fuses. What a total load of rubbish - spent 15 minutes with a torch to no avail, finally found a forum post about it and located a tiny silver thumb screw high up in the dash board requiring me to contort my (no small) frame in to the foot well to reach.

Horray, the catch is undone! Except now you need to pull the unit out which is attached via huge wiring looms with next to no slack so the best you can do is sort of lever it at an angle and worry the entire time you are going to snap a connector.

The fuse guide is like a mini puzzle (albeit it one that I did eventually solve) - I haven't put the damn box back yet, I ran out of light and patience so the car is sitting on the drive until I can face the reverse job.

Tell me I am not alone? The O/H's car is a 15 second job to access.

(For anyone who may find this useful - my A/C, boot light and heated seats all stopped working, turns out they are controlled by Fuse 77 (10a mini blade) which can blow when changing an interior light).
2019 BMW M40i First Edition Frozen Orange
2014 BMW M4 DCT Yas Marina Blue

Previous Zeds:
2010 BMW Z4 35i DCT (Evolve: 360BHP)
2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i manual

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Fuse Box from hell

Post by flybobbie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:51 pm

Yep, right pain in the ass.
Just wait till you try locate and turn that screw thing.
From memory I think there are some lugs to locate first.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Fuse Box from hell

Post by Chris_D » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:37 pm

It's my own theory that BMW now design-in deliberately time-consuming-to-service serviceable parts, thereby increasing margins on servicing costs, when taken to the dealership that is.
The relatively newest bimmer I own is an E93 320d convertible and it took me 2 hours on Sunday to swap in a new battery due to having to remove 4 bits of surrounding trim, umpteen screws and fasteners and then all the gubbins loaded up onto the positive terminal connector.
Bonkers.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Fuse Box from hell

Post by john-e89 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 pm

Chris_D wrote:It's my own theory that BMW now design-in deliberately time-consuming-to-service serviceable parts, thereby increasing margins on servicing costs, when taken to the dealership that is.
The relatively newest bimmer I own is an E93 320d convertible and it took me 2 hours on Sunday to swap in a new battery due to having to remove 4 bits of surrounding trim, umpteen screws and fasteners and then all the gubbins loaded up onto the positive terminal connector.
Bonkers.
Not so Chris it wouldn't make sense to do that. They'll 'tell' you it takes a long time with the reality being it doesn't, the 'technicians' will have a trick to do it quickly so they can fit even more cars in the workshop to 'take a long time over it as it's in an awkward place Madam' thus making even more profit. Smoke and mirrors my friend... :x
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Fuse Box from hell

Post by ronk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:52 pm

john-e89 wrote:
Not so Chris it wouldn't make sense to do that. They'll 'tell' you it takes a long time with the reality being it doesn't, the 'technicians' will have a trick to do it quickly so they can fit even more cars in the workshop to 'take a long time over it as it's in an awkward place Madam' thus making even more profit. Smoke and mirrors my friend... :x
Couldn't agree more!
For example I had a job done on my old Disco 3 - the book said take the body from the chassis - they had a work around and did the job without any nonsense like that!
Last edited by ronk on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ruffedlemurz4

Fuse Box from hell

Post by ruffedlemurz4 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 pm

Yes. So scarey to access it. I thought I was going to break panels or my fingers. My cigarette lighters weren't working when I first had the car and I almost took it back to BMW to sort it.
2013 E89 2.0 msport in space grey
Comfort pack with cruise, storage, lighting, wind deflector, heated seats, stubby.

Steve S

Fuse Box from hell

Post by Steve S » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:46 am

What a pain in the arse to simply change a fuse. Like others, the cigarette lighters' fuse had blown in my E89 and when I removed the cover panel and fought with the fuse panel to bring it out to where I could see it, there wasn't any guide as to which fuse did what or its rating. The instructions in the Owner's Manual are a joke :evil: Thankfully, Mr Google found me a copy of the fuse information and when I replaced #8 everything worked as it should. Tomorrow's job is to stuff it all back in place without breaking anything. I don't think it would be possible to come up with a design that has worse functionality. :x
Last edited by Steve S on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
2010 S-Drive 35i 6-speed manual :driving:

clarker63

Fuse Box from hell

Post by clarker63 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:56 am

Yes, IMHO probably the worst piece of design in car history... unless someone knows better :rofl:
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

AnubisZed

Fuse Box from hell

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 am

For information.....

Replacing the fuse box;

Have a kneel pad and kneel down, this gives freedom of movement of both hands.
Slide passenger seat all the way back.
Slide fuse box extension back into housing (ie; towards the front of the car) - Assuming you have slid it out in the first place!
Try to place any "loose" loom up into the trim area first
Then gently raise the fuse box upwards into it's home.
Use your left hand to hold the fuse box as high as you possibly can
Use your right hand to turn the metal "turn-Key" clockwise - it is not a full screw, only a quarter turn is required
There are two lugs on the front of the kick panel, you need to locate these into the plastic retainers on the bulkhead.
To engage the three screws you may need to move the kick panel around a bit as the carpet does get in the way and prevents it from seating correctly.

Hope that all helps.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Himi

Fuse Box from hell

Post by Himi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:59 pm

i did a right school boy error... wired in a hardwire kit and didn't check the connection... yeap after putting everything back i found the kit to be dodgy... was a brilliant experience to do this a few times!

AnubisZed

Fuse Box from hell

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Himi wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:59 pm i did a right school boy error... wired in a hardwire kit and didn't check the connection... yeap after putting everything back i found the kit to be dodgy... was a brilliant experience to do this a few times!
At least you know how to do it now!! :D :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q