Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CTEK connections & arrangements?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 am

How do you connect your CTEK to your E89, please?
Has anyone made semi-permanent connections?
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:45 am

In my e85 I connected a fly lead/socket directly to the battery-it was long enough to reach into the boot area so simple to hook up to :thumbsup:
The e89 battery is in a similar place so shouldn't pose any difficulties.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:30 am

Smartbear wrote:In my e85 I connected a fly lead/socket directly to the battery-it was long enough to reach into the boot area so simple to hook up to :thumbsup:
The e89 battery is in a similar place so shouldn't pose any difficulties.
Rob
And then CTEK in the boot ... and cable out to mains via ... ?

In other words, is there a good, non-squashing place for the mains cable to exit the boot?
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 am

I found I could shut the boot without any damage to the lead, there's enough give in the rubber boot seal to get away with it.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:50 am

I fitted a cigar lighter socket in the boot area to the battery to charge phones, tyre pump, etc.
Do that then perhaps that could be used as a handy point to connect a charger.

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:52 am

First off, buy yourself a CTEK extension cable (Amazon, ebay etc). Then take a look below.

The 2 core extension cable (red and black) is just the right length to run from the jump start terminal (big red cover, back of the engine bay slightly right of centre) to the front of the bay just behind the LH headlamp as you look at the pic. You then just need to find a suitable earthing point for the black core (I used a fixing on the suspension turret). Just make sure all connections are clean and free from any contaminant, then put a smear of vaseline or similar over the connectors.

Lightly cable tie the CTEK extension cable to existing runs but keep away from heat sources where possible (helps keep smoke and flame where it belongs, not loose in the engine bay). Only downside is you have to pop the bonnet when connected - but with a bit of ingenuity this could probably be overcome.

I seem to remember the BMW blokey saying connect this way rather than direct to the battery, might even be something in the handbook about it - can't remember. Cars in the showrooms connect like this so the lights can stay on etc for punters to look at without the battery going flat.

This was how I did it anyway. Took about half an hour. Been working fine for 2 years now.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:02 am

Thank you all very much.

I assume the official BMW policy is that they don't want the battery + connections + a live CTEK (or equivalent) in an unventilated boot. This is a pity, because it seems to be a convenient solution.
Vidi, vici, veni

eff1guy

Post by eff1guy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:21 am

Smartbear wrote:I found I could shut the boot without any damage to the lead, there's enough give in the rubber boot seal to get away with it.
Rob
+1 I've had a CTEK comfort connector permanently connected to the battery in the boot of my TT for the last 6 years and never had a problem with the cable getting damaged
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:00 pm

My 2016 E89 book categorically states that the under bonnet pins should be used.
I know many choose to ignore this and have done so without detriment but I will continue to obey the instruction.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: