Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I have gone and done it!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

I have gone and done it!

Post by john-e89 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 pm

To be fair the E89 comes pretty well equipped as standard.

The mirror switch is just in front of the lekky windows switch, next to the mirror adjustment wheel.

Enjoy your new Zed, if you're smiling then that's all that matters. Congrats on the purchase. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

sammyz

I have gone and done it!

Post by sammyz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Nice looking car. You're right it's the engine that's the gem in these cars so enjoy it. :thumbsup: Bigger wheels and non run flats would be your starting point.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

freemadw

I have gone and done it!

Post by freemadw » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:06 am

The mirror switches are on the drivers door in front of the window controls:
Mirrors.JPG
Mirrors.JPG (26.51 KiB) Viewed 716 times
If you only have the slider switch and not the button, you don't have folding mirrors.
Only the passenger side mirror flips down when in reverse, you have to make sure that the mirror slider switch is set to the drivers side. If it's set to the passenger side, the mirror doesn't flip down.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

new_world99

I have gone and done it!

Post by new_world99 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:26 am

sammyz wrote:Nice looking car. You're right it's the engine that's the gem in these cars so enjoy it. :thumbsup: Bigger wheels and non run flats would be your starting point.
As I don't have a garage to store the old alloys, I want to be able to just drive to a place, pay my money and drive out with new (bigger) alloys and new tyres when these eventually wear out. Any suggestions?

I like the look of the ones on Maniac's but perhaps in gun metal colour.

Thanks for all your advice by the way folks :thumbsup:

sammyz

I have gone and done it!

Post by sammyz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:44 am

I'd have a good read through the forum especially the wheels section, lots of ideas for wheel choices. 19s are the usual upgrade although the car looks fine on the right set of 18s. Mr Wilks - Andy is the wheel guru and will provide sage advice should you need it on off sets, colour, tyres etc. Enjoy!
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

new_world99

I have gone and done it!

Post by new_world99 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:37 pm

benv6 wrote:Nice one mate and welcome to the forum :)

If you want more sound from the exhaust there is a quick MOD where you unplug small pipe next to both sides of the exhaust (seen a video about it on youtube) just google it and let us know what you think.
Thinking about doing this and it seems simple. Haven't managed to find a thread on the forum - can someone please kindly point me in the right direction?

Basically I want to know if anyone can recommend which bits and pieces to use for a neat fix. I saw on youtube someone used a couple of blue plugs but I haven't managed to find any for sale as I don't know what to search for. https://youtu.be/NYfZ5ZOW1cg

The car is glorious by the way :D

Thanks!

benv6

I have gone and done it!

Post by benv6 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:11 pm

new_world99 wrote:
benv6 wrote:Nice one mate and welcome to the forum :)

If you want more sound from the exhaust there is a quick MOD where you unplug small pipe next to both sides of the exhaust (seen a video about it on youtube) just google it and let us know what you think.
Thinking about doing this and it seems simple. Haven't managed to find a thread on the forum - can someone please kindly point me in the right direction?

Basically I want to know if anyone can recommend which bits and pieces to use for a neat fix. I saw on youtube someone used a couple of blue plugs but I haven't managed to find any for sale as I don't know what to search for. https://youtu.be/NYfZ5ZOW1cg

The car is glorious by the way :D

Thanks!
I will have to try it as well, I am sure I can find something at MAPLIN.

I wonder if some experts can let us know if there is a downside to this MOD or if it is pretty safe ??
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

I have gone and done it!

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:15 pm

I've read that it robs low end torque as it reduces back pressure to the engine :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

new_world99

I have gone and done it!

Post by new_world99 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Used one of these and it sounds much better in town.

Just checking, there's only one side to be done right? (I have got twin exhausts but only the driver's side seemed to have the valve).

I am satisfied that there is no difference to the power delivery whatsoever - think about all the aftermarket exhausts, de-cat etc. It is clearly purely introduced as a noise-reduction mechanism at low refs.
Attachments
20161118_161449_resized.jpg
20161118_161449_resized.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 636 times

new_world99

I have gone and done it!

Post by new_world99 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Had a puncture to one of the rear RFTs and thought might as well changed to Michelin PS all around. The steering is now much more precise - the car no longer vaguely goes to the direction I point it to!

Also with a pair of gloves and the heater on full blast, it was surprisingly comfortable with the roof down even at around 6-7 C :wink:
Attachments
20161119_152439.jpg
20161119_152439.jpg (61.4 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

I have gone and done it!

Post by Maniac » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Yes near side mirror dips as that's kerb side and to help you park. Not offside as you shouldn't be parking that side against a kerb.

If you have folding mirrors (unlikely given the basic spec of the car but you might be lucky) can be moved by a switch next to the door mirror controls.

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

I have gone and done it!

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:42 pm

new_world99 wrote:Had a puncture to one of the rear RFTs and thought might as well changed to Michelin PS all around. The steering is now much more precise - the car no longer vaguely goes to the direction I point it to!

Also with a pair of gloves and the heater on full blast, it was surprisingly comfortable with the roof down even at around 6-7 C :wink:
Welcome To the Michelin PSS club. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

ibroker

I have gone and done it!

Post by ibroker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:17 pm

new_world99 wrote:Used one of these and it sounds much better in town.

Just checking, there's only one side to be done right? (I have got twin exhausts but only the driver's side seemed to have the valve).

I am satisfied that there is no difference to the power delivery whatsoever - think about all the aftermarket exhausts, de-cat etc. It is clearly purely introduced as a noise-reduction mechanism at low refs.

Yes there is only one side that has a valve. Makes little difference to the sound and no difference to power at either end of the spectrum. Not to many options out there for an aftermarket exhaust for the E89, some are also pricey. I have quad pipes on mine and the car crackles and pops a treat, that with a 400hp remap the cars a blast. I had a 35i before my 35is and the remap from the standard 305hp is huge and very impressive. Evolve automotive did my first one and Celtic tuning on the 35is. DO IT!!!
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

new_world99

I have gone and done it!

Post by new_world99 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:21 pm

I have done a few minor mods - got rid of the run flats, put on LCI repeater and BMW 'stubby' antenna. I think it's updated the look of the car somewhat :)

Next on the list is back box exhaust mod and lowering springs. Decided against changing alloys for now as I don't have anywhere to store the old ones and also bought a full set of NRFs after a puncture.

I am interested in your thoughts!
Attachments
Z4.jpg
Z4.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 580 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

I have gone and done it!

Post by buzyg » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:49 pm

:o A manual. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. :D