Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Silly question ! Ride comfort ?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Ok so I know obviously that the bigger the wheel size the lower profile the tyre and the harsher the ride , and that M sport suspension is harder than standard, but I also read often that the adaptive suspension is very plush . So my question is really is adaptive in its softest mode softer than standard non M sport suspension ?

I'm looking for as plush as a ride s I can get, so I know 18 inchers are better and non run flats etc but also what is the softest suspension from stock .

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Dietcokeman wrote:Ok so I know obviously that the bigger the wheel size the lower profile the tyre and the harsher the ride , and that M sport suspension is harder than standard, but I also read often that the adaptive suspension is very plush . So my question is really is adaptive in its softest mode softer than standard non M sport suspension ?

I'm looking for as plush as a ride s I can get, so I know 18 inchers are better and non run flats etc but also what is the softest suspension from stock .
Not a silly question at all, adaptive suspension is the softest suspension as you can get in normal mode. Yes also it makes sense to avoid run flats and probably go for a smaller wheel size as well if you can stand to look at bottletop wheels.

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Having just ditched the run flats and having adaptive suspension I would suggest that combination will give you the most compliant ride. Big difference on my car on 18s. I would expect the difference to be as good or better on 19s. Wouldn't go smaller than 18s on an e89.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Maniac wrote:
Dietcokeman wrote:Ok so I know obviously that the bigger the wheel size the lower profile the tyre and the harsher the ride , and that M sport suspension is harder than standard, but I also read often that the adaptive suspension is very plush . So my question is really is adaptive in its softest mode softer than standard non M sport suspension ?

Not a silly question at all, adaptive suspension is the softest suspension as you can get in normal mode. Yes also it makes sense to avoid run flats and probably go for a smaller wheel size as well if you can stand to look at bottletop wheels.
Cheers Maniac, that clears a few questions up. I thought as much, seen two cars that were on my radar, but only driven one with non adaptive suspension and 19 inchers with run flats and it did seem very harsh on anything less than a billard table surface, the second car gets tested tomorrow and has adaptive and 18 inchers with non run flats so i expect from what you have said it should be much softer especially as the suspension allows for a softer setting. ........no heated wheel on this car though :( , on a positive though its got 30k less miles !

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:03 pm

If I can just chuck my hat in the ring, having just changed to non run flat MPSS I honestly wouldn't want to go to 18's, I think it would be too soft. On 19's with comfort mode it feels perfect for the weight of the car for pure cruising, any more would upset it, make it wallow. As it is it's super smooth and compliant but with control, any less I think you'd lose that control, if pushing on you need to switch to sport with adaptive.

Just my tuppence worth of course, hope you find what suits you. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks John, any input is welcome and i will see tomorrow as it appears i will be going from as hard as it can be to as soft as it can be with the 2 cars in question. My E85 is on 16 inch bottle caps at present with run flats and its a very comfy ride compared to when i run MV2's or 107's on it, so i guess im looking for something that can be somewhere in the middle. I am also aware of cracking rims on 19 inchers so that has to be considered too.