Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

14 speaker upgrade query.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Bonjourno,

I have the pro 14 speakers in my E89 with the 650 watt amp, it's good and well worth the £750 I think it was option, however, as with most things it could be improved as the subs lack depth being the main culprit. So, my plan is to change all the standard mids, tweeters, and woofers with Focal units in the original locations along with adding dynamat to each, then add two earthquake under seat subs powered from a separate sub amp, OR a single 10" JL audio sub in an enclosed box in the boot, again fed from a separate sub amp. I very much doubt the standard 650 watt amp will fire the new Focals, (I haven't got RMS figures on these yet) so I'm expecting to have to change this for a more powerful amp. The thing I'm pondering on is am I being silly to change all the component speakers as a good SQ system usually consists of components up front, and bass from behind, so putting components in the shoulders and between the roll hoops might upset the staging, or has anyone any other ideas for a system.

Any thoughts welcome thanks.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:14 pm

You keeping this now :thumbsup:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:21 pm

John.....I'm surprise , when looking at my potential purchase yesterday, I actually thought the base was intrusive , I played with the settings and found the equaliser was set to a base bias setting , with a few tweaks I managed to get it set up with a nice less base bias sound .

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:01 am

markplant wrote:You keeping this now :thumbsup:
Think so cheers Mark, I've worked a way round having to sell, next spring will be the defining time. Just planning some mods ahead if it stays.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:25 am

Glad to see your reconsidering :thumbsup:

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:18 pm

john-e89 wrote:
Think so cheers Mark, I've worked a way round having to sell, next spring will be the defining time. Just planning some mods ahead if it stays.
Excellent hope it works out, if your having a shop do the audio get over to source in chapeltown near Sheffield, speak with Paul the owner or Phil , am sure they have a focal demo car, even if its just to discuss your options
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:48 pm

14 speakers????????????? i only have 2 ears :rofl:

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 pm

I have to say that 14 speakers seems overkill in a two seater especially as they are all fairly poor quality- reading what the sound junkies write on here.

Being partly deaf I actually thought the standard six speaker system was better than the DSP I had in the 'M'. :o It's a sports car not a concert hall. :poke:
Glad to hear your hoping to keep your car now John :thumbsup:
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:50 am

Thing with this is it's not outright volume I'm looking for its quality, ok I do like a bit of thump on a country jaunt but nothing silly and this just lacks some depth to it, so it's about enhancing and improving what's there rather than building an all out gung ho chav blaster system.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:52 am

markplant wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
Excellent hope it works out, if your having a shop do the audio get over to source in chapeltown near Sheffield, speak with Paul the owner or Phil , am sure they have a focal demo car, even if its just to discuss your options
Phoned Paul the other day Mark, I've been down there a few times in the past for bits and pieces, they're a good set up.

Cheers for the post though fella. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:35 pm

I agree with the statement "bias towards the lower frequencies" - I've found that I've had to push both ends to get to an acceptable sound .
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: