Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible purchase questions - guildence pls

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Ok so been to look at an 09 plate 35i today and test drive tomorrow, car looks well equipped and straight , but I can see evidence of water in the bottom of the rear lights, are they known for leaking ? -and should I check l somewhere on the boot ?

Also how do I tell which level hi fi it has and which level nav ?

Which style alloys are prone to cracking ?

Anything else I should check ?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Bryan, I think the e89 rear lights were subject to a recall for water ingress? I'm sure some e89 owners will know more than me :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Would be unusual to find 18s cracked although not impossible , 19s are predominantly the offenders & namely the style296 multi spoke
Virtually impossible to check unless on a ramp as the cracks will be on the inner lips
Additionally listen for any unusual engine / turbo noises on cold start / warm start & again when turning the engine off :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Obd scan to see if theres fault codes present.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:38 pm

The light seals can fail as well as the boot seal rubbers. Check behind the seats, if there are two sub grilles you will either have the advanced or pro speakers, the advanced being 11 speakers, the pro 14. The pro has a mid in the dash and a mid and tweeter centre between the roll hoops extra to the advanced. If no subs etc you have the pitiful business 6 speaker rubbish, utterly pathetic in itself and especially for an expensive roadster, so you would have to add aftermarket subs and amps etc, if sounds are your thing. AFAIK the sat nav is no different to the last ones made, just an update to today's maps needed. Do the usual car buying checks, and try to get someone to start the car from cold with you at the rear so you can see the exhausts, smoke on start up could mean the turbo impeller shaft oil seals are on the way out, expensive to put right.

Best of luck, hope it's a winner for you.
Last edited by john-e89 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Ok I've used the Vin decoder and I don't understand these options, could someone help explain what they are please

Exterior mirror package
Store age compartment package
Lighting package
BMW teleservices
Control teleservices
BMW online with extended info
Voice input
Country spec release of teleservices
Cop control
Deflection crossover operation .

Thanks in advance
Bryan

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 pm

Tail lights were never recalled, should have been.
Try talking down £300 to have them replaced.

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 pm

flybobbie wrote:Tail lights were never recalled, should have been.
Thanks, has anyone changed them themselves ?

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 pm

mr wilks wrote:Would be unusual to find 18s cracked although not impossible , 19s are predominantly the offenders & namely the style296 multi spoke
Virtually impossible to check unless on a ramp as the cracks will be on the inner lips
Additionally listen for any unusual engine / turbo noises on cold start / warm start & again when turning the engine off :thumbsup:
Cheers Andy

They are 296's :headbang: ,engine sounded good to me from start up but will try again tomorrow

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:01 pm

john-e89 wrote:The light seals can fail as well as the boot seal rubbers. Check behind the seats, if there are two sub grilles you will either have the advanced or pro speakers, the advanced being 10 speakers, the pro 14. The pro has a mid and tweet in the dash and centre between the roll hoops extra to the advanced. If no subs etc you have the pitiful business 6 speaker rubbish, utterly pathetic in itself and especially for an expensive roadster, so you would have to add aftermarket subs and amps etc, if sounds are your thing. AFAIK the sat nav is no different to the last ones made, just an update to today's maps needed. Do the usual car buying checks, and try to get someone to start the car from cold with you at the rear so you can see the exhausts, smoke on start up could mean the turbo impeller shaft oil seals are on the way out, expensive to put right.

Best of luck, hope it's a winner for you.
Cheers John I will check the seals, and according to vin decoder it has pro nav and pro hi fi :D , it did sound pretty good to be honest :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:10 pm

I think its either 11 or 14 speakers.
We have 11 and its pretty good although I wish it had the same range of adjustment that the X6 has.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:28 pm

Dietcokeman wrote:
flybobbie wrote:Tail lights were never recalled, should have been.
Thanks, has anyone changed them themselves ?
Yes, I have had them off to seal them.
Just search this forum.
Even replacements may leak unless there has been a radical redesign.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Chris_D wrote:Obd scan to see if theres fault codes present.
:lol: I was waiting for that. You got caught out and you're giving everyone else the heads up, understandable I guess, but in reality I don't believe many buyers will be taking along OBD scanners to test drives.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Marlon wrote:
:lol: I was waiting for that. You got caught out and you're giving everyone else the heads up, understandable I guess, but in reality I don't believe many buyers will be taking along OBD scanners to test drives.
I think its a sage piece of advice and could make all the difference in influencing someone to make an 'informed purchase'... Or not.

I wouldnt say i got 'caught out' per se, as the codes i got from my own basic scanner when i went to look at the car i ended up buying alerted me to the fact that there were some potential issues. Specifically, the running-lean codes- which turned out to be the teabag of all holy lower intake boots.
1000 miles into the purchase and i'm now experiencing problems that were either existing or which have developed since purchase, specifically a dodgy throttle body, a leaky cam cover gasket and failed ccv system. Whether these are/were related I'll never know.

However, a lot of issues can be hidden in those codes. A lot of issues that either a seller doesnt know about, or wants to deliberately conceal. Either way, knowledge is power and if it can be gained politely via a simple scan procedure with the sellers consent, then why not?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:19 am

Marlon wrote:
But now I will be. Buying a car is such an emotional purchase, that it's useful to get some insight to see what issues may be lurking around the corner...
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey