Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So... Had a nice chat with a lorry this morning

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Big Red Cat

Post by Big Red Cat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:17 pm

That must have been pretty scary, glad you are OK & hope it is sorted quickly.
My New love - 05 Alpina Roadster, Black Sapphire, black leather #308
My first love - '07 2.0l Titanium Silver Pearl Grey Oregon leather
Daily drive - '05 e61 535d Titanium silver, black Dakota leather

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:57 pm

dk345 wrote:
extrablatt wrote:Really sorry to hear. I hope you're alright. That's rather nasty looking.

Did you by chance have a dash cam? My OH was nearly sandwiched between two lorries this morning sent the footage to the police.

Be safe out there, there are some loonies on the road.
Unfortunately no dash cam. I've been umming and ahhing about one for a while, but couldn't find anything I'd be happy with. I want unobstrusive, neat and reliable. Quite hard getting that in a Z4.

Hopefully the insurance claim goes smoothly. The police took my side though, so if they play silly beggars I'll just ask my insurers to speak with them. Nice chaps.
Lucky the police are with you. Fingers crossed the insurers see sense.

He has the Thinkware F750 in his 335i and it fits quite discreetly, which is now deprecated by the F770. It's two channel, is slightly smaller, has its own wifi hotspot and a gyroscope. If it detects an impact, it saves the last couple of minutes and saves to the HD.

In case you were interested, here's the footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsu8la7g80M& from his near miss, which he sent to the haulage firm and the Thames Valley Police.
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:50 am

I used a Garmin 10 in the car when I owned it ... it runs off it's own battery for allegedly an hour (read 45 mins) which I found enough to go to and from work with. After that or on a run I used the cigarette lighter. I have seen many things on dash cams now at work which have saved loads of grief ... they are well worth it - just remember if you get one with GPS it records your speed :wink: :roll: (my Garmin 10 doesn't)

I would suggest from your description of the way the collision occurred it can only be seen as the lorries fault. Were any marks left on the road do you know as to where the collision occured / debris / tyre marks, etc ?

I take it the lorry didn't have cameras as a lot do now ... ?
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

Marky Mark

Post by Marky Mark » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Nightmare hope your ok and get it sorted. Hope he has insurance and is not working illegally if so you will get sorted by who owns the HGV. Hope you get your Z back in tip top condition you've been so calm with this good luck :thumbsup:

dk345

Post by dk345 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:43 pm

extrablatt wrote: In case you were interested, here's the footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsu8la7g80M& from his near miss, which he sent to the haulage firm and the Thames Valley Police.
That's actually some pretty impressive footage, given how dark it is. It'll probably be my luck that I'll pull my finger out and get a camera and then have many more years incident free motoring :P
SO8 wrote:I would suggest from your description of the way the collision occurred it can only be seen as the lorries fault. Were any marks left on the road do you know as to where the collision occured / debris / tyre marks, etc ?

I take it the lorry didn't have cameras as a lot do now ... ?
There weren't any marks left on the road surface. The only debris is bits of my car, the front of his bumper and some collapsible bollards that I went through on the grass verge. The kerbing has marked and looked fresh, but stand a few feet away and it blends in with the sea of other tyre and wheel marks.

So, had a weekend away and forgot about it all, or at least tried to. Have been ringing various people today to work out the state of play. Third party insurance has now admitted an accident happened but they're not admitting liability. My insurers are chasing them using the description and images I have provided.

As I want my car fixing I've paid my excess to get the ball rolling and will have it claimed back from the other guy at a later date. Car is with BMW York being assessed and I believe they sent the repair quote to the insurers today. Rear bumper and rear wheel arch need to be back-ordered from Germany.

Engine and gearbox lights have thankfully not persisted and the car is passing the diagnostic tests they're running. Rear suspension is fine, but two new 326Ms and tyres required. Going to be at least next week before the German parts are here, so it's just a case of waiting.

Meanwhile I'm driving around in a 120i, 66 plate, 1100 miles (it had 450 when I picked it up :driving: ). Nippy enough but I do dislike the 1 series' interior. It's not a patch on the Z4 and really does feel like you're driving a much more basic car. I know it is basic, but with a sticker price of £26k I expected a bit better.

Anyway. Will update the thread when I know more!
2013 Mineral White 35iS

freemadw

Post by freemadw » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Good to hear that the damage isn't as bad as you feared. Hope it's back on the road in the next week or so.
Had a guy in a van do the same to me today, turning right at a roundabout from the left hand lane. Fortunately I was able to avoid...
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

dk345

Post by dk345 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 am

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! IT'S BACK!!!! :D

Picked up the Z4 from BMW this afternoon. Don't have any pictures to hand as I was in a rush, but you can't tell it's had a knock.

Drives as good as it did before the accident, new body panels have blended in perfectly with the original paint, everything put together well. Even hoovered inside for me.

£7,000 and nearly three weeks later but I'm back where I should be. Two new run flats have put me off my planned upgrade to a better "normal" tyre, but as they were running low anyway I'm taking it as £500 back in my pocket as I've not had to replace the tyres!

Obviously I'm going to give the car a thorough check over at the weekend when I properly wash it and apply the wax for the winter, but I don't expect to find any problems. Very impressed with the service from BMW Cooper York, they've kept me up-to-date every step of the way and have been very helpful. Only delay seems to have been caused by the insurance company.

Glad to hand the 120i back and get a real motor again :P Happy Chappy.
Last edited by dk345 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mineral White 35iS

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:11 am

Great news :driving: :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

HubertK

Post by HubertK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:23 am

dk345 wrote:GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! IT'S BACK!!!! :D

Picked up the Z4 from BMW this afternoon. Don't have any pictures to hand as I was in a rush, but you can't tell it's had a knock.

Drives as good as it did before the accident, new body panels have blended in perfectly with the original paint, everything put together well. Even hoovered inside for me.

£7,000 and nearly three weeks later but I'm back where I should be. Two new run flats have put me off my planned upgrade to a better "normal" tyre, but as they were running low anyway I'm taking it as £500 back in my pocket as I've not had to replace the tyres!

Obviously I'm going to give the car a thorough check over at the weekend when I properly wash it and apply the wax for the winter, but I don't expect to find any problems. Very impressed with the service from BMW Cooper York, they've kept me up-to-date every step of the way and have been very helpful. Only delay seems to have been caused by the insurance company.

Glad to hand the 120i back and get a real motor again :p Happy Chappy.
I would do some research on waxing a fresh paint as I've heared that paint needs to cure and outgas for atleast 2-3 months before waxing or closing the "pores" in any way.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:28 am

Nice one! :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

dk345

Post by dk345 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:34 am

HubertK wrote:I would do some research on waxing a fresh paint as I've heared that paint needs to cure and outgas for atleast 2-3 months before waxing or closing the "pores" in any way.
Thanks for that, not something I'd even considered before. Will do some reading tomorrow whilst at work (in break times, obviously...).

It'll definitely be getting a wash though. Parked underneath a tree when I arrived, so covered in leaves and dirt.
2013 Mineral White 35iS

freemadw

Post by freemadw » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:20 am

Good to see you've got your Z back. Safe journeys.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

Marky Mark

Post by Marky Mark » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Great news :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Good news. I've also heard about not waxing straight away. Not sure how long.. but I'd leave it at least couple of weeks to be sure. :driving:
Last edited by warmasice on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Glad to hear you have your pride and joy back.

Bet you missed t power in the 120i
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather