Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So... Had a nice chat with a lorry this morning

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:41 am

"This junction was busy when this happened, but not one person decided to stop. "

Really? Sounds like America! And I always thought the British were so much more civilized....

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:41 am

Sorry to hear this. Glad you're Ok and hope you get it sorted soon. :(
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:12 am

Sorry to hear this.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Hopefully the insurance company and BMW resolve it quickly.

Have they given you a curtosy car?
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

PotterZ28i

Post by PotterZ28i » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:24 am

Main thing is your ok, hopefully the car can be sorted and your back on the road soon :thumbsup:
E89 sDrive28i M Sport

Rathean

Post by Rathean » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:29 am

Z4Rick wrote:"This junction was busy when this happened, but not one person decided to stop. "

Really? Sounds like America! And I always thought the British were so much more civilized....
Probably on a par with America these days, some would do anything for you but their numbers are less with each generation.

OP glad you're OK! I feel your pain, back in my Porsche Boxster days I was shunted at speed from behind by someone who didn't see me queued at the back of stationary traffic... pushed my poor motor into the large Audi in front so it was a double-ender!

Her insurance company were not best pleased when I refused their nasty-ass local garage and insisted on a Porsche bodyshop to do the repairs :evil:
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:56 am

Z4Rick wrote:"This junction was busy when this happened, but not one person decided to stop. "
Pretty much the norm nowadays, everyone is far too busy or scared to get involved.

My wife and I witnessed an accident on the M5 a few years back - we were behind a 7 series going through roadworks when a shed in the outside lane veered over and side-swiped it; not once but three times. Police arrived and pulled both cars off at the next junction; we followed as we had (a) witnessed it, and (b) called said police. Police had to CS gas the driver of the shed as he was pretty incoherent and violent - speaking to the police they assumed either drugs/alcohol or both were involved as car stank of cannabis and all the passengers were out of it. Case took 2 years for the CPS to prosecute, I was a witness and was told by the defence attorney I was either (a) mistaken, (b) prejudiced (defendant was white... go figure) or (c) lying and in cahoots with the 70-year-old driver of the 7 series. The drugs evidence was inadmissible due to a procedural error, so it was mine (and the 7 series driver's) word against his and his mates. Ended up getting off with a warning; on the way out of the courtroom we were followed by the defendant and his friend to the car park - when I stopped and asked them if they wanted anything they just laughed and ran off.

So I can understand people not getting involved, but would I do it again? Absolutely.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

dk345

Post by dk345 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:26 am

hopz121 wrote:Sorry to hear this.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Hopefully the insurance company and BMW resolve it quickly.

Have they given you a curtosy car?
Yeah, i was driving away in my courtesy car a few hours after it happened. It's only a 118i, but I needed a car quickly for work and a weekend away tomorrow.

As per my phone call earlier, the HGV driver's insurance company still have no record of an accident ever happening.
2013 Mineral White 35iS

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:50 am

Did the HGV stop at the scene?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Sorry to hear the news and glad you are ok! Nice to see you being calm about it, as getting irate wont change anything.

Hope you get it sorted soon :driving:
///MC - Bought to drive. Eventuri / Eibachs / Stubby added

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Ahh not good, hope your gets resolved better than when a Polish lorry driver decided to try and drive over the front of my stationary Elise.
Very messy and despite taking photos of the lorry driver, his documents, his lorry and the scene, he or his lorry were never found on any driver/vehicle database anywhere.
In hindsight I should have involved the old bill, but with all the paperwork/photos I thought I was covered, as it was I had to claim on my insurance which was a little painful.
Still the main thing is that there are no injuries; cars can be fixed, people less so.
E85 2.0l 2006 Zeeee 4 Roadster, black with black leather, whippy spec. and a few toys.
3 kids, one wife so a Zed makes a perfect family car in that you leave the family at home... :D

DraizetraiN

Post by DraizetraiN » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:59 pm

I know its not exactly the biggest car crash in the world but that looks so painful...and as for grinding metal as you parked up, christ that must have hurt. Real wince inducing pain.

I dunno what I'd do if anyone did that to me. I'd either go mental...or burst into uncontrollable floods of tears. Probably both actually.

Terrible luck mate. Hope they do a good job fixing it up and I'm sure they will.

dk345

Post by dk345 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:Did the HGV stop at the scene?
The driver did stop, thankfully. His first reaction was to blame me, saying I was in the wrong lane :|

I'm glad I called the police. I don't think there was any malice involved, but it makes me feel better that they were there, checked out both cars, both drivers and decided that we were both driving legally (and sided with me, obviously :P )

When I got the car back to BMW the tech said that the engine and gearbox lights on the dash could just be a result of the "shock" the back of the car received. Hopefully that's all it is. I feel much better having it in a BMW garage as opposed to the Stoneacre place the insurance wanted it taking to.

When I eventually got out of the car I needed a minute alone away from the truck driver to compose myself. No point making the situation worse by going off on one... But boy did I want to.
2013 Mineral White 35iS

SO8

Post by SO8 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:55 pm

Ouch !!

Really sorry to see this. I am sure it will get fixed up as good as new. Luckily looks fairly superficial damage but sad nonetheless.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Can sympathise with that. Good thing you did call the rozzers and hopefully it's a relatively painless fix.

Learning point: always use extreme caution when passing or even next to any vehicle on the inside of a roundabout.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Sorry to hear this, hope you get it sorted as best as possible. Unfortunately your car will never feel the same, I have had cars damaged in the past and they never feel like your cherished baby again :(
We were coming out of London on the A40 Tuesday night in the Z and a prick in an artic decided to indicate and move over at the same time, I had to brake hard to miss the Cwnt, then gave him full beam and a good blast on the horn as we past him. I drive a HGV some days and would never behave like that, there are a lot more bullies driving trucks these days.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981