Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Importing 2013 Z4 2.8l from US to France

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:37 am

Hi,

Foremost - Appreciate your interest on the thread and thanks for reading/providing feedback

I am relocating from US to France for over an year and tend to bring my beloved Z4 to France. Depending on future, I may take it back however that is not certain. I would not go back during the entire time and therefore the option of storing somewhere in the dark is out. Bit of research tells me that US/EU specifications could be different which may result in outfitting changes. I have contacted BMW as well, awaiting answer, I suspect the response would be a political one...hence the thread.

So here is the ask, and I am sure some of you here owns EU spec Z4. What are the difference (or expected ones) between US and EU spec? And if at all somene has experience in importing already, your input would be much appreciated.

Throw in your 50cents guys...all comments are welcome (I know.... you are thinking ....what a dumb A... :headbang: .) come on. :)

Thanks
AM

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:58 am

Would it not be easier to sell and buy an EU spec thats similar, there are plenty of cars in the EU as they are made here. Also means no hassle in terms of shipping importing and converting to EU spec.

Thats what I would do anyway.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:28 pm

The only difference I could think of would be the speedometer. France would be kph and US only show mph, unlike UK cars.
Think Canada show mph and kph on same dial same as UK.
Some grey import cars to UK would stick mph speed scale over the dial.
Also keep in mind the shipping time, you might be without the car for a month or so.
I'm sure service men have probably shipped cars, need someone like that to pass a opinion.

MadScientist

Post by MadScientist » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:45 pm

tomscott Thanks. - As the plan is to go back, I would hate to sell it. I paid close to 58k and now it wont go more than 25k. I maintained it well and knows that I never abused it. I dont mind spending 1-2k on changeouts.

flybobbie Thansk - the speedometer is in km/h as well as mph.

TeeZee

Post by TeeZee » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:51 am

All US BMW's have a km/hour scale in the speedo
Attachments
speedo.jpg
speedo.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 672 times
2011 E89 Z4 30i
2003 E46 325i Touring

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:41 am

You need a certificate of conformity to prove your car meets all eu safety and emissions requirement , you'll get this from BMW . I'm not sure how it will differ from American cars but in England it's just a generic document . Then physically get the car there , have it tested at an approved centre then take all of your docs to your local government office , prefecture I think it's called , and you'll be given the paperwork and a registration for your department .
I've helped a mate do it with an English car and it was relatively easy , but obviously it may be different in your case . Your probably better off looking on the living in France forums , they are a wealth of knowledge for everything and a lot of Americans post there .
Good luck , as said , your probably better off selling and buying there although cars are expensive in France . I lived there a couple of years and I've had property there for years , they complicate some things unnecessarily but it's just a case of getting stuck , I lived by the rule , a problem is just something to solve , not lose your mind over !

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:58 am

Seems a bit expensive to ship the car to France just to use for a year. You seem to be able to keep the car's US registration for 6 months if you are not a french resident. Would give you time to register it. Some facts here for your interest but remember the french can be very difficult on bureaucracy. A few years ago I sold my corvette to a frenchman. He had a lot of trouble but managed to find a friendly garage who helped him register it eventually.
http://www.frenchpropertylinks.com/esse ... rance.html

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:29 am

I think the issue is you have an attachment to the car for personal reasons and obviously the security of knowing its history.

If you are not moving permanently (even if you may do in future) then I assume shipping it over will be quite an expensive folly.

You need to do the sums:
Cost of return shipping of the car (I expect a good few thousand, plus the potential for loss/damage)
Cost of taxes, registration etc. to enable using it in France.

Is there anywhere/anyone you can leave it with in the US you trust? Family? Storage?
With some TLC beforehand you could happily lay the car up for a year with no issues.

If you buy a Z4 in France then it is yours to sell and I doubt it would loose as much value as you'd pay out in all the associated costs of bringing yours over. If you do stay then you have the option to do that anyway if you really want to.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

benv6

Post by benv6 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:24 pm

I went to live in france 3 years ago, took my UK car with me and registered it over there, quiet a straight forward process.

The Certificate of a conformity from BMW is the main thing you need, and because the car comes from outside the EU then you will have to pay a tax (dédouanement) depending on the Value of the car or how much you paid for it or the horsepower tax (Can't remember) - it wont be cheap in all cases especially the horsepower tax which is something very common in France !!!

I know the french car market quiet well and cars aren't cheap, A Z4 in France will turn a lots of heads :) , it is a very rare car!!! you can always have a look at the main french car sales website https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/offre ... 9&parrot=0

I honestly don't think that what you are doing is sensible as the french administration is very bureaucratic, it will cost you quiet a bit and stress you out - I can assure you that it won't be the 1k or 2k you thinking of ;)

Have you thought of buying something from the UK and take it to France ? It is much more easier, CHEAPER and you will stand out with a RHD car :)
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage