Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New tires, big gains...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4Rick

New tires, big gains...

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:25 pm

After flogging my stock Potenza RFs at the track a few weeks back, and in full knowledge that winter comes quickly in these mountains, I decided to address the 'tire issue' on my car, (2013 35i, 22,2320 miles). I cut a nice deal with Tire Rack for a set of 4, 17", staggered, unmounted Yokohama Ice Guard ig52c tires and had a local tire shop balance and mount them yesterday. I had driven 45 miles to this tire shop because they advertised the latest Hunter Road Force balancing machine, so the bad manners of the Potenza's was fresh in my mind.

The drive home was an epiphany. I lost 8 pounds per wheel with non-run flats according to my bathroom scale, and the difference in handling was stunning. No rear end bounce on bumps in hard turns, solid, straight tracking, quiet and much softer ride over small bumps. Cornering was nothing short of spectacular. I am resigned that these tires will live much of their life in my garage and on dry pavement, but needed cold weather rubber that would be outstanding on ice and serious sudden snow for my trips up and downstate. Frankly, I have no idea how they will perform in those conditions yet, but, so far they are far superior to the B-stones.

Now all I got to do is avoid a flat tire! Well, THAT, and shop for some 19" wheels and dry rubber for spring! Leaning towards Verde PARALLAX wheels and Conti DW tires. Here's the wheels: http://*************.com/images/article/verde1.jpg