Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any one want to Dual? - Completed 13.57 Secs

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:10 pm

Nictrix wrote:Excuse me for being stupid but is that not how everybody pulls away??

No, the proper way is much more harsh to the clutch and transmission

*Turn DSC fully off
*Full Clutch, select gear
*Rev to around 2,500
*Release clutch to bite point
*Then release clutch and accelerator at same time
*Likely event of wheel spinning and increasing damage on Clutch etc.

And in an Auto

+Press both break and accelerator at same time - until it start to move forward
+Then release break and full on power

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:
Nictrix wrote:Excuse me for being stupid but is that not how everybody pulls away??

No, the proper way is much more harsh to the clutch and transmission

*Turn DSC fully off
*Full Clutch, select gear
*Rev to around 2,500
*Release clutch to bite point
*Then release clutch and accelerator at same time
*Likely event of wheel spinning and increasing damage on Clutch etc.

And in an Auto

+Press both break and accelerator at same time - until it start to move forward
+Then release break and full on power
Sorry I didnt mean how everybody pulls away on track, i meant how everybody normally pulls away.
Good to hear that you are mechanically sympathetic with your car and still getting reasonable times.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:21 pm

stuartinzg wrote:I'm not a fan of standing starts, too many variables with the track and tyres. Too much pressure on the drive chain etc. Would only entertain rolling starts. The Z needs a decent LSD in any event - the 35iS I saw online with an LSD was hitting 4 seconds 0-60 as the rear brakes weren't trying to bring it to a stop :roll:
I don't think there's a lot to be gained from an LSD on the drag strip. The highest 1/4 mile times for the N54 are on cars without an LSD.
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-Drag-Racing.html
That's a 10.7 without an open diff.

If I step on it in 1st I'll leave 2 black marks along the road, it's not a case of 1 wheel spinning out of control.

Tyres will be the biggest factor for tuned 35i/s cars. I'm on 265 PSS on the rear and can get pretty good traction in second without needing to limit boost. Maybe some sticky R888s would be even better.

I don't think any Z4s are going to get close to that time though. You really need a standard slushy auto for that, the DCT is slow off the line as you can't brake-boost.
I do agree that standing starts are brutal on the transmission. 1/4 mile events just seem like a fast way of trashing your drivetrain.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 pm

No, you can engage launch control on the DCT or dump the clutch with higher revs so that you launch fast.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:48 pm

stuartinzg wrote:
No, you can engage launch control on the DCT or dump the clutch with higher revs so that you launch fast.
I would love to know what time you can do Stuartinzg, 12.8 Secs?

As distance is such an distance we can have an virtual race - lol

As I can not find many reference points for 35i/35is - as looking at reported 1/4 miles in real world they are normally about .2 or .5 out. This can be down to not ideal track surface and having about 1/2 tank a fuel.

Only can find 35i @ 13.3 and a 35is @ 13.1

So I expect an stock car with none pro driver been around - with 1/3-1/2 tank of fuel been around the below figures.

35i @ 13.5/7 and a 35is 13.3/5

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:03 am

you got lucky against me at santapod you put me off my start talking to the steward before.......lol

you did get a brillaint start though with turbo power and more torque it was a good duel my E85 3.0i Z4 against your E89 2.8i. didnt you run 13s that day i got a 14.1s was my fatest run in my E85. Do you think you'll be under 13s soon?

would be good to see how a facelift e85 3.0i does against yours

have a look throught this your times are up there with the fastest bmw's. only M3 GT, X6M, S3 dinnan and few others have sub 13s times. Would be good to see the 35i against yours surely thats one of the quickest if the 0-60 is 4s there isnt many bmw's quickjer than taht on paper

paper and real world we know are two different matters though heance why you beat so many with more power

http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-ma ... mph-times/

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:14 am

goldbcfc wrote:you got lucky against me at santapod you put me off my start talking to the steward before.......lol

you did get a brillaint start though with turbo power and more torque it was a good duel my E85 3.0i Z4 against your E89 2.8i. didnt you run 13s that day i got a 14.1s was my fatest run in my E85. Do you think you'll be under 13s soon?

would be good to see how a facelift e85 3.0i does against yours

have a look throught this your times are up there with the fastest bmw's. only M3 GT, X6M, S3 dinnan and few others have sub 13s times. Would be good to see the 35i against yours surely thats one of the quickest if the 0-60 is 4s there isnt many bmw's quickjer than taht on paper

paper and real world we know are two different matters though heance why you beat so many with more power

http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-ma ... mph-times/
At santa pod I was running 13.8 secs - so 13.5 is a great improvement - I really doubt I can get Sub 13 Secs - I will have to use an much harsher launch technique - which I am not keen in doing. I know at Santa pod the only thing quicker than mine was an 35is that did an 13.7. On the day I was quicker tha E85 Alpina and Z4M - as traction was an major issue for high powered cars.

So this little 2 ltr does well,

Interesting that there was an M4 that was less than 1 sec quicker

We going to Shakespear next year as the owner of the 335d wants an rematch - as our last dual he killed me (as I was suffering from heat soak - issue with turbo cars)

Below are two videos of my duals with the 335D - and currently its 1 : 1

The video is from an 335D running 350 Bhp - and I was against an 335i with an JB4 and meth injection knocking out just Shy of 500 BHP - and I won that round as well. - Getting power down was an issue at york and the Right lane was definitely less grip.

Roud 1
https://youtu.be/RliHTcGvcVc

Round 2
https://youtu.be/0QpLRJrhqO4

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Another owner in the states:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... vs-Z4-35is

This is stock, I'd expect this to be better on mine with MHD Stage 1
for those who are unfamiliar with numbers for z4 35is:
0 - 60: 4.3s
1/4: 12.7@112
---
sorry guys i was away for little bit

1/4 mile trap speeds are on point, i was able to get a good jump on e92 m3 with dct, not for long but still.

i'm coming from 07 e92 335 which was 384 rwhp and trapped a bit faster times then Z but i was impressed how close it is performace wise (straight line)

steering is bit numb i agree.

also a think to keep in mind that z4 35IS has an overboost function for the first 7 seconds which makes it generate same boost as tunned (15psi)
There are a few on the forum that don't believe him, but I do - I can't find it now, but a chap in the US who I copied my mods from has an LSD and posts 4 second 0-60 and 11's on his 1/4 (modded).
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:55 pm

That is seriously quick, I have noticed that USA guys do get much better times. I know a few USA guys with Generation F 328is with similar mods to me are achieving sub 13 secs - however, they do have an DCT gearbox.

If you can get sub 12 secs - that will be an excellent result and if I was you be pleased with the result.

I would expect your car to be at least 1 sec quicker than mine over an 1/4 mile. But the key issue is traction - as said before I was against an 335i with JB4 with Meth injection in the charge pipe - but his extra 150+ bhp did not make him quicker.

So when you going down to the track?

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:35 pm

I would expect Stuart's car to be 12.5~ on the 1/4 mile. An extra 100bhp and the DCT transmission would easily make for a second quicker than the time you posted.

But as you have already stated, it's down to how well people are capable of launching their cars. You quite often see vastly superior cars being out-dragged purely because the driver doesn't have the experience with a launch.
A rolling race is a better indicator and seems to be the most common comparison for higher powered cars. Either that or a flat mile race. 1/4 mile is just over too fast!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 pm

R.E92 wrote:
I don't think there's a lot to be gained from an LSD on the drag strip. The highest 1/4 mile times for the N54 are on cars without an LSD.
How do you know that has an open diff?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:33 am

GuidoK wrote:
R.E92 wrote:
How do you know that has an open diff?
Dorsey is a member on E90Post.
Here's a list of mods; http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190045

He states no LSD.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Interesting regarding the no lsd. Sub 11 sec is very fast.
Usually real dragracers have a solid rear axle. they call it a spool diff but its a lightweight straight lock. Either that or clutch plate (salisbury/ramp style, not speed differential like an M diff).
The thing is that there is no such thing as equal grip. there is always one wheel with more grip than the other, so if you have the power, locking up the rear is always the best thing. And as you're going just in a straight line, there is no need for different rotational speeds, so diffs that lock up are best.
But obviously getting the best tyres is the most important thing, because in the end its the traction (grip between tyre and road) that gets you going...
Who knows what time he can put down with an lsd or spool (but that would ruin his road capabilities ;) )
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 pm

I had a go at this at Santa Pod yesterday. Never been before and I went as a bit of laugh with an old mate who's just bought an M135i Auto. I did three runs in all, with mechanical sympathy at the forefront of my mind off the line, but even so I was rubbish getting the car away cleanly, and my reaction times were rubbish on the first two. My best 60ft time was 2.47s and my best 330ft was 6.23 so it shows you how slow I was getting away. Nevertheless, I did manage 13.8 at 106.92 mph which wasn't bad. My mate beat me on all three runs but it was all down to him getting away cleaner and the auto was a big advantage too. He did a 13.4 at 107mph. I was catching him up on 2 of the three runs though so if it had been a standing km or 1/2 mile I reckon I would've done him, even with the crap starts.

We saw what was reputedly the fastest road legal Nissan GTR in the UK record an 8.5 at 171mph and that was with him giving the heavily modded Civic he was up against a deliberate head start. It went off like a scolded cat, it was incredible. It must have been very low 2's to 60mph and probably high 3's or low 4's to 100mph.

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:37 pm

original guvnor good times - shame with the starts - as you could have whipped my ass!

As my best times are:-

60 F/T 2.1451

However my mates M135i

60 F/T 2.2861
QTR 13.232 @ 107Mph

And to been honest any longer than 1QTR you be passing me bye

How busy was last weekend?