Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

28i Opinion?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
R.E92

28i Opinion?

Post by R.E92 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:
R.E92 wrote:I think if I had to take a step backwards in displacement I would go for something more economical than the 28i. Losing 100bhp and not getting any increase in MPG would sting!
From been an previous N54 driver my MPG increased on average 10 MPG so in percentage terms that 50% increase!!!!
On a good run - you can easily achieve 50+ MPG - but I purchase a economical car so I could drive quick and not be an issue - rather having an uneconomical car and having to drive frugal.
Your signature says you are getting 32mpg. 4 more than my tuned N54. That's a big sacrifice for 4mpg!

Admittedly my car doesn't move much from 28mpg. I've tried eco runs before and not really noticed much of increase so just stick to mashing the pedal.

My 28mpg average was calculated from journey mileage and fuel receipts so should be pretty accurate. I have to keep a record of all that stuff for claiming business mileage!

I don't care much for fuel saving but if I started doing more than 15k a year I might start to take notice of diseasel cars. Would need to see at least 60mpg to get me out of a large petrol engine :)

It's hard to know what car to recommend. It sounds like you've already ruled out the alternatives.
My next car will probably be a Merc SL or 6 series GC. Quite like the idea of ultimate comfort and lots of speed.

Twin Turbo

28i Opinion?

Post by Twin Turbo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:49 pm

28Mpg is an good result - but I was getting 20/22 out of my re-mapped 335i - as the sound from the 335i is so intoxicating. Never used to listen to the radio - only station needed was 335i

Hence comparing MPG on cars are difficult as different driving styles and conditions - the only base line I can use is my N54 335i - as that is my best way of comparing.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by TitanTim » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:19 pm

john-e89 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Hopefully the move from a nice sounding straight six to a clattery, piston slapping 4 cyl won't be too irksome especially on those cold mornings :cry:

Tim.
Tim let it drop, you've got rid, time to move on... :lol:
Just my opinion john, you did ask good or bad, would hate for you and others to be dissapointed, look at it as looking after fellow forum members :D

How come you're wanting to trade down?

Tim.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by john-e89 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:11 pm

TitanTim wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Hopefully the move from a nice sounding straight six to a clattery, piston slapping 4 cyl won't be too irksome especially on those cold mornings :cry:

Tim.
Just my opinion john, you did ask good or bad, would hate for you and others to be dissapointed, look at it as looking after fellow forum members :D

Tim.
Fire away Tim, all opinions, warts and all, are welcome and encouraged.

I don't really want to trade down but having not worked for much of this year and possibly half of next with on going health issues and a few heart op's pending, I've given my building business up and need to retrain as a sparky, the car is draining money away, it's time to stop the flow. One has to cut ones cloth. :roll: :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by TitanTim » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:16 pm

john-e89 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
john-e89 wrote:

Tim.

I don't really want to trade down but having not worked for much of this year and possibly half of next with on going health issues and a few heart op's pending, I've given my building business up and need to retrain as a sparky, the car is draining money away, it's time to stop the flow. One has to cut ones cloth. :roll: :thumbsup:
:)

Thanks John, I can understand now, good luck with the inpending sparky training, its a good business to be in along with plumbers, people always need them.

Have you weighed up the running costs of the 28i against the 35i? My 20i was only doing around 23 urban compared to 21 in the M135i it never seemed to be the most economical of motors for some reason, I don't know how much of real difference there would be.

Sorry, I don't mean to over negative on the N20 engine, if BMW had stuck with the 2.3 and 3.0 6cyl I would probably still be in a Z4 today, the 35i was a bit out my budget compared to the M140i, performance for the pound and that.

Tim.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by Angie4m » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:
Angie4m wrote:Btw its brakes on a car.

You break a dish or break your leg.

Interesting discussion and comparisons going on. As you were boys.
Thanks my dyslexia is kicking in again.

Funny story when at College doing Law - I miss spelt prosecution to prostitution - told my lecture they are the same thing - great exceptions but they both screw you for money.
:rofl: :thumbsup:
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Twin Turbo

28i Opinion?

Post by Twin Turbo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Have to admit the 140I must be a hoot to drive - my mate has an 135i and loved it on track - however MPG and tyres just eats them both.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by john-e89 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:58 pm

TitanTim wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.

:)

Thanks John, I can understand now, good luck with the inpending sparky training, its a good business to be in along with plumbers, people always need them.

Have you weighed up the running costs of the 28i against the 35i? My 20i was only doing around 23 urban compared to 21 in the M135i it never seemed to be the most economical of motors for some reason, I don't know how much of real difference there would be.

Sorry, I don't mean to over negative on the N20 engine, if BMW had stuck with the 2.3 and 3.0 6cyl I would probably still be in a Z4 today, the 35i was a bit out my budget compared to the M140i, performance for the pound and that.

Tim.
Running costs are not much of an issue really for the miles I do a year Tim, 4K ish, give or take. The 30i has 7 more bhp than the 28i but the all important torque is up from 320 to 350NM if I remember correctly, couple that with approx 100kg less weight giving better handling allegedly. It's the same with the 35i, more power, around 60 bhp but again over 100kg heavier, yes a 6, but all out power is not top of my list. Really I should buy a Boxster or MX5.... :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

R.E92

28i Opinion?

Post by R.E92 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:38 am

If handling is top of the list then the MX5 or Porsche would be ideal.

The only saving grace of the Z4 is raw power in my eyes. If I could get a Cayman or Boxster north of 400bhp without huge expense then I'd be driving one of those :driving:

But I understand that cars are rarely a rational decision. There's plenty of good cars that I just don't like for no other reason than looks or perceived image.

Rathean

28i Opinion?

Post by Rathean » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:44 am

stuartinzg wrote:John, maybe you could try something left field, such as a TT-S or 370z ?
Not driven a 370z but the TT is an entirely different experience to a z4 or boxster. Brilliantly engineered use-everyday car and great engines but they are not at all engaging to drive, even on the limit. Feels more like a saloon than roadster, and after 50k miles in mine I stopped looking forward to the drive.

z4 makes the commute almost enjoyable at times :driving:
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by john-e89 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Maniac wrote:It's really not that frugal. 4 pot thing aside, I've driven one and the most obvious benefit was less weight at the front which meant it turned in much better than the 6 cyl cars. Sound was not the same obvs.
What made you buy the 35i over the 28i then Maniac? Just the power difference? Or does the lack of a 6 play a part if it's not down to pure grunt?
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

28i Opinion?

Post by pvr » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Can you get a 28i with DCT or more the standard auto box?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by Nictrix » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:44 pm

john-e89 wrote:
Maniac wrote:It's really not that frugal. 4 pot thing aside, I've driven one and the most obvious benefit was less weight at the front which meant it turned in much better than the 6 cyl cars. Sound was not the same obvs.
What made you buy the 35i over the 28i then Maniac? Just the power difference? Or does the lack of a 6 play a part if it's not down to pure grunt?
My guess would be that the 28i model was not available until 3 years after Maniac purchased his 35i.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by john-e89 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:02 pm

Nictrix wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
My guess would be that the 28i model was not available until 3 years after Maniac purchased his 35i.
Ah ok cheers Nictrix, be interesting to hear which he'd pick out of the two had both been available at the same time.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

28i Opinion?

Post by john-e89 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:34 pm

pvr wrote:Can you get a 28i with DCT or more the standard auto box?
7 speed DCT is only for the 35i and IS PVR.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29