Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone 6s Incompatible

bigyin

iPhone 6s Incompatible

Post by bigyin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:24 pm

2010 E89 Z4 35i not sure what software version it's on but I don't think it's been updated since new. Issue I have is when plugging in my IPhone 6s with lightning cable to usb in armrest the iDrive says not compatible. Guessing I need to update the software but BMW.com has no updates for my chassis number. Anyone help me out with a link to download and up to date software version?
Cheers guys
Space Grey 35i M Sport DCT
M Performance Grills
Graphite Grey 325M alloys

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone 6s Incompatible

Post by Maniac » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:04 am

In late 2010/early 2011 the COMBOX was added which allows software updates. Prior to that you can't download updates.

My car won't work with my iPhone 6 as an iPod. Which I don't care about as I use a much larger capacity USB stick in the car anyhow.

bigyin

iPhone 6s Incompatible

Post by bigyin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks for the heads up. Been searching everywhere for an update. I prefer to use Spotify for music so really need it updated. Can you add the combox then?
M Performance Grills

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone 6s Incompatible

Post by ronk » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Maniac wrote: My car won't work with my iPhone 6 as an iPod. Which I don't care about as I use a much larger capacity USB stick in the car anyhow.
My current car has the combox but I use a USB stick by choice - I cant see why anybody would want to accidentally leave £600 of iPhone / iPod in the car !

The price of 32gb thumbnail sized USB v BMW lead ?
My limited 4k tunes from iTunes are all copied from the iMac to USB :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone 6s Incompatible

Post by Maniac » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:25 pm

bigyin wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Been searching everywhere for an update. I prefer to use Spotify for music so really need it updated. Can you add the combox then?
The current hardware isn't update able by software. COMBOX can be added but it is complex and has downsides. I'd suggest a google for it as its been done a few times with mixed outcomes.

bigyin

iPhone 6s Incompatible

Post by bigyin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:43 pm

So frustrating that it's compatible up to an iPhone 5 but nothing beyond. Not a fan of constantly having to add tunes and updating tunes on a usb stick. Guess I'll have to go down the y cable route as I know that works. Thanks for you input guys. Fabulous car by the way, what an engine the 35i has!
M Performance Grills

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone 6s Incompatible

Post by ronk » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:04 pm

bigyin wrote:So frustrating that it's compatible up to an iPhone 5 but nothing beyond. Not a fan of constantly having to add tunes and updating tunes on a usb stick. Guess I'll have to go down the y cable route as I know that works. Thanks for you input guys. Fabulous car by the way, what an engine the 35i has!
Just drag them across as you add them - it only takes a lot of time the first time?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: