Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washer bottle

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Washer bottle

Post by flybobbie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Few days ago used the screen wash to wash my hands?
Noticed it had a milky appearance.
So today cleaned out the washer tank and full of milky and mildew mould and filters nearly bunged up.
Only been 12 months since I last cleaned it out.
Not used any additives since I used some stuff from Halfords that stained the bonnet.
I think part of the problem is because it's at the rear of the engine bay it gets warm and is ideal breeding ground for whatever is in drinking water.
Now clean, not too keen on using chemicals, will refill with boiled tap water and see if that makes difference.
If not perhaps some clear pre mix wash fluid is the way to go. (or just clean it every 12 months).

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Washer bottle

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:37 am

Just wondered if yours is a pre-facelift as my washer bottle is at the front of the engine bay?

Anyway when I bought my Blue one the washers managed barely a dribble, so I had to take the tank out and flush it - it had an additive but was full of gunk at the bottom. Maybe more than one brand had been used and it reacted, but anyway I refilled it with fresh screen-wash mix and so far all good!

I'm sure I read on here that they are supposed to have additive (officially the expensive BMW sort of course) but I hope if I stick to one brand it should be OK.

I had to do the same when I got my 325ti and it's washers have been fine for 18 months or so.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

srhutch

Washer bottle

Post by srhutch » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 am

Mr Tidy wrote:Just wondered if yours is a pre-facelift as my washer bottle is at the front of the engine bay?

Anyway when I bought my Blue one the washers managed barely a dribble, so I had to take the tank out and flush it - it had an additive but was full of gunk at the bottom. Maybe more than one brand had been used and it reacted, but anyway I refilled it with fresh screen-wash mix and so far all good!

I'm sure I read on here that they are supposed to have additive (officially the expensive BMW sort of course) but I hope if I stick to one brand it should be OK.

I had to do the same when I got my 325ti and it's washers have been fine for 18 months or so.
E89 as per the section it's posted in :wink:

Been using Tesco or Asia concentrate in both of mine for the last 5 years plus with no issues. Mixing may cause issues, or even lack of use might have an effect.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Washer bottle

Post by flybobbie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:06 am

I think I will have to stop being mean and invest in some screen wash.
Just one of things I have never noticed with other cars.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Washer bottle

Post by Nictrix » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:10 am

I have used a Halfords concentrated screen wash for years and years with no problems at all.
3 years in the Z with no problems either.
Never just use water, it doesnt clean your window.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

R.E92

Washer bottle

Post by R.E92 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:17 am

I had that in my washer bottle. Think it's because I don't use washers that much. They tend to just leave water marks down the side windows :(

Have made a point now of trying to empty the screenwash every few months. Doesn't help that the dealer keeps topping it up.

InvisibleName

Washer bottle

Post by InvisibleName » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:38 pm

R.E92 wrote:I had that in my washer bottle. Think it's because I don't use washers that much. They tend to just leave water marks down the side windows :(

Have made a point now of trying to empty the screenwash every few months. Doesn't help that the dealer keeps topping it up.
How often is your car with the dealers??! When ever my car goes in, I make sure they make a note on the service sheet "Do not top up washer bottle" - works every time.
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

R.E92

Washer bottle

Post by R.E92 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:44 pm

InvisibleName wrote:
R.E92 wrote:I had that in my washer bottle. Think it's because I don't use washers that much. They tend to just leave water marks down the side windows :(

How often is your car with the dealers??! When ever my car goes in, I make sure they make a note on the service sheet "Do not top up washer bottle" - works every time.
Fairly often :)

One of the perks of the N54 engine!

It's more a case of me not using the washer fluid at all. I've probably only used 5L in total in the 3yrs I've had the car. I'm quite thrifty :rofl:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Washer bottle

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:04 am

srhutch wrote:
E89 as per the section it's posted in :wink:

Been using Tesco or Asia concentrate in both of mine for the last 5 years plus with no issues. Mixing may cause issues, or even lack of use might have an effect.
Doh - I found the thread in New Posts. :oops: Must try harder!

Yes, I've been using Tesco fluid too - seems to work pretty well removing even sticky stuff like tree sap.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black