Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DCT is new to me

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:36 pm

When I come home fron holiday I'm collecting a new 35is which has the DCT system.
I've never driven one before but accept that it's good - not heard anybody say anything derogatory yet - bur what should I expect and how do they drive in the real day to day world of stop start, hill starts etc!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by john-e89 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:52 pm

Don't sweat it Ronk seriously, the biggest drawback with the DCT is they are a bit clunky and slow changing into reverse and then back into drive, 3 point turns are a pain to do quickly, other than that you'll love it, so smooth and quick changes especially when pressing on. Hill starts are a doddle, pull up to a set of lights, foot on the brake, lights go out, foot off the brake, car stays put, foot on the gas, away you go, simple as that. Use the paddles and the changes will surprise you, they are so quick, seamless and smooth. Day to day they are faultless, smooth and calm when driving in every day situations. Have your hols and look forward to it, you won't regret it. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

R.E92

DCT is new to me

Post by R.E92 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:55 am

john-e89 wrote:Don't sweat it Ronk seriously, the biggest drawback with the DCT is they are a bit clunky and slow changing into reverse and then back into drive, 3 point turns are a pain to do quickly, other than that you'll love it, so smooth and quick changes especially when pressing on. Hill starts are a doddle, pull up to a set of lights, foot on the brake, lights go out, foot off the brake, car stays put, foot on the gas, away you go, simple as that. Use the paddles and the changes will surprise you, they are so quick, seamless and smooth. Day to day they are faultless, smooth and calm when driving in every day situations. Have your hols and look forward to it, you won't regret it. :thumbsup:
Spot on description.

It can also be a little hesitant when rolling to a stop and then pulling away again, mainly a problem on roundabouts when going for gaps in traffic. You eventually learn to drive around the small issues.

techathy

DCT is new to me

Post by techathy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:34 am

You know when the car will hesitate pulling away because the engine revs will stop being related to road speed. I find that it's great to roll to a stop in 2nd then drop into 1st just before pulling away. This seems to give the pickup more pep. I drive in manual mode most of the time.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by Maniac » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:05 am

The hesitation is due to the fact that it's disengaged gears/clutches ready to slip into first and engage at a full stop, something it doesn't do in most other driving scenarios. When you apply throttle again it has to slip the clutches to get the gears spun up ready for engagement, no synchromesh or squishy slopbox components to do this for you.

It's the only minor downside for me, low speed hesitation or confusion. Other than that it's one of the single best things, aside from the N54, about this car.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for that !
I just didn't know what to expect. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:59 am

ronk wrote:Thanks for that !
Hey Ronk fancy a game of tiddlywinks? There's only you and me left today, they've all legged it to zedfest...
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:16 am

I think you are on your own - I'm off to a friends 70th birthday party.
Im at that stage of life !

techathy

DCT is new to me

Post by techathy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:39 am

john-e89 wrote:
Hey Ronk fancy a game of tiddlywinks? There's only you and me left today, they've all legged it to zedfest...
I'm here too :(

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:59 am

techathy wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
I'm here too :(
Did'nt you fancy it Techathy?

It's a shame as Stuartinzg offered me a drive in his fettled 35is, it would have been very interesting to see what difference his suspension mods have made, an area I'm interested in improving if I keep mine. I still think there's a very good car lurking in there, just a matter of extracting it. Power wise I'm not overly interested in, especially after reading about the clutch packs problem you and others have described, seems folly to go that route but hey, it's not my money. I bought some barely scrubbed in MPSS off Kermit, itching to try them out.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:06 am

Mrs K heard somebody at the dealers talk of the safety of the RF system and how/why they don't suffer blowouts !
Now they are a must have as far as she's concerned.

techathy

DCT is new to me

Post by techathy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:20 am

john-e89 wrote:Did'nt you fancy it Techathy?
Just bad timing, I'm the only person who's not got family commitments this weekend so can't get out of weekend contact duty. That means being able to get into work within 2 hours. So no Zedfest for me :(

techathy

DCT is new to me

Post by techathy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:32 am

ronk wrote:Mrs K heard somebody at the dealers talk of the safety of the RF system and how/why they don't suffer blowouts !
There's a very narrow window of decompression speed & vehicle speed where an RFT show an advantage over non-RFT tyres if the car is exposed to any lateral load. cConsidering high speed roads in the UK are deliberately designed to have shallow bends, it kind of eliminates most of the safety aspect of RFT tyres when dealing with near instantaneous decompression events..

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

DCT is new to me

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:55 am

techathy wrote:
ronk wrote:Mrs K heard somebody at the dealers talk of the safety of the RF system and how/why they don't suffer blowouts !
There's a very narrow window of decompression speed & vehicle speed where an RFT show an advantage over non-RFT tyres if the car is exposed to any lateral load. cConsidering high speed roads in the UK are deliberately designed to have shallow bends, it kind of eliminates most of the safety aspect of RFT tyres when dealing with near instantaneous decompression events..
She was mainly twisting on about my speed while in Germany - although the novelty of high speed blasts has worn off now, a steady 100/110 mph where allowed is good -- and that's just about when she starts to complain!

pvr
Legend
Legend

DCT is new to me

Post by pvr » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:32 pm

With classical music on the radio you can extend that to 160+ :whistle:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo