Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

sDrive28i Engine Oil Capacity

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
templed

Post by templed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:47 pm

hi folks,

I recently traded in my tired but trusty 05 3.0i for a 2016 28i ... nice upgrade overall, especially since the 28i was the only Z4 model left in the US that I could equip with the manual trans and no infotainment screen.

I do most of my own maintenance, including oil changes more frequently than recommended ... I stick to every 5000 miles. However, for the sDrive28i, I haven't seen much documentation on service topics.

Does anyone know the correct engine oil capacity for the N20 in the Z4 28i? I have seen conflicting information online, and my best clue so far has been the ECS Tuning oil change kits which all come with 7 qts ... So I assume the capacity is between 6 and 7 qts.

Anyone have any tips or references?

thanks!
'05 Z4 3.0i, olivine green, 6 speed man., sport package, M seats, CDV mod, BMW strut brace, H&R rear sway bar, clutch-stop, non-RFTs!!!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:44 pm

templed wrote:hi folks,

I recently traded in my tired but trusty 05 3.0i for a 2016 28i ... nice upgrade overall, especially since the 28i was the only Z4 model left in the US that I could equip with the manual trans and no infotainment screen.

I do most of my own maintenance, including oil changes more frequently than recommended ... I stick to every 5000 miles. However, for the sDrive28i, I haven't seen much documentation on service topics.

Does anyone know the correct engine oil capacity for the N20 in the Z4 28i? I have seen conflicting information online, and my best clue so far has been the ECS Tuning oil change kits which all come with 7 qts ... So I assume the capacity is between 6 and 7 qts.

Anyone have any tips or references?

thanks!
Bmw 2.0 petrol single turbo , 5 / 5.5 litre for capacity , should be in your handbook :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

templed

Post by templed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 pm

I agree, it should be in the handbook, but it is not ... at least not in the US spec version

Any chance you could PM me a soft copy of the version that you have referenced?

cheers
'05 Z4 3.0i, olivine green, 6 speed man., sport package, M seats, CDV mod, BMW strut brace, H&R rear sway bar, clutch-stop, non-RFTs!!!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:51 pm

templed wrote:I agree, it should be in the handbook, but it is not ... at least not in the US spec version

Any chance you could PM me a soft copy of the version that you have referenced?

cheers

Google is your friend

http://mywikimotors.com/bmw-n20/
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

templed

Post by templed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Yeah, I've seen that one, and another that stated 6.1 or thereabouts ... Google is no friend in this case

If I can get a soft copy of a non-US version or a reliable source, that might be the ticket

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Hah , a reliable source :oops: its not exactly a rare engine , its in virtually every other BMW model that offers a 2.0 petrol whether X3 or Z4
If it isn't in the handbook ( which I find hard to believe ) then phone your dealer or local trade supplier & give him your chassis number

in the meantime

CAPACITIES:

Engine, with filter..........5.3 quarts [1] ( which converts to around 6litres )
& before you ask
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclel ... BMW+328i+A
Last edited by mr wilks on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

templed

Post by templed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks for the info, and it's definitely not in my manual unfortunately .. the only capacity I am given is the fuel tank, which is not helpful for a DIYer.

For the capacities that you have listed here, what is your source? I have seen listings for other BMWs with the N20, but the z4 may have a different oil sump pan, so I have not trusted listings for other models.

At any rate, I do appreciate your help. I see you're in Normandy. On an off topic, my next-door neighbor is a retired chef from the Normandy region. I believe he is there on vacation visiting some family ... hopefully the weather is good where you are, instead of the 38C + temps we have here in central Texas.

templed

Post by templed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Sorry, thanks for the AMSOil reference ... I'll keep looking around too, as there are many conflicting accounts.

cheers!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:47 pm

templed wrote:Thanks for the info, and it's definitely not in my manual unfortunately .. the only capacity I am given is the fuel tank, which is not helpful for a DIYer.

For the capacities that you have listed here, what is your source? I have seen listings for other BMWs with the N20, but the z4 may have a different oil sump pan, so I have not trusted listings for other models.

At any rate, I do appreciate your help. I see you're in Normandy. On an off topic, my next-door neighbor is a retired chef from the Normandy region. I believe he is there on vacation visiting some family ... hopefully the weather is good where you are, instead of the 38C + temps we have here in central Texas.
Some of the confusion may lie with the info in different measures as Qrts or litres , if you do your own then always best to measure what comes out which i'm sure you would know
If you bought 6 litres i'm sure that would be enough

as for 38deg :P if only mate , back in Lancs at the mo on 20
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti