Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for advice on dealing with dealer

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ruffedlemurz4

Post by ruffedlemurz4 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:23 am

Hi
I'm now a month into my zed ownership and loving the experience and the exercise that comes from frequent washing and polishing.
I just have one small issue which I am struggling to get resolved with the dealer and I would welcome any advice. She is 2013 89. One of my requirements was a dab radio. I was repeatedly assured that she had one, but I now know she doesn't. I probably should have physically checked myself, but with so many new buttons and gadgets facing me, I just took this on verbal assurance. For the first few weeks I thought the radio was just switching between dab and fm was my old car did, but when I wanted to programme in the digital channels I like, I found I was mistaken. I checked the bmw spec online and confirmed no dab.
It seems sort of petty to quibble when I love the car so much, but it was an essential requirement on my list. I would 't have looked at the car without it, or would have discussed retrofitting before buying and factoring in the cost.
I know my rights as I can ask for a complete refund as it not as described. But I don't want a refund. i just want the car to be as promised. I've made 3 phone calls to bmw Oldbury about it. Everyone sympathises, but no one calls back and I haven't been offered any solution (or rejection of my claim on the basis of it a verbal promise it had dab, not paperwork.)
Sorry for the long post, but I'm just sitting here waiting again for a call back and don't know what my next move should be.
Thanks for any opinions or advice
Viv
2013 E89 2.0 msport in space grey
Comfort pack with cruise, storage, lighting, wind deflector, heated seats, stubby.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:34 am

Drive down and talk face to face with the sales person that told you it was dab. Best outcome would be if they would a contribution towards fitting dab.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:24 pm

I do sympathise with you as you thought you were getting something you didnt get.
But, what is so good about DAB that you find it essential?
I find DAB a pain in the butt as when it loses signal slightly it just cuts off completely unlike FM that just loses quality for a bit.
Tried DAB a few times and end up switching to FM to stop it cutting out.
I know some cars can switch between DAB and FM automatically, not tried it but does it still cut out while its switching over.
DAB only seems good if you are stationary.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Rathean

Post by Rathean » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi Viv, sorry to hear about your plight. If you are happy with your car apart from the analogue radio I suspect you will have to just accept it. If you have anything in writing, on email, perhaps in the car advert etc that states the car has DAB then you are in a strong position to get a benefit in kind, but I've not heard of BMW retro-fitting DAB.

There are after-market DAB options, others on here can advise on those better than I can.

You're not alone, I also had a mis-sell issue when I picked up my Z4 a few months ago. In the end I made the choice to accept the car anyway, it was the model I had been hunting for and the missing extra USB connectivity has been a minor inconvenience as I can plug a flash drive into the glove-box socket to upload music.

FWIW my last car had DAB, this one doesn't and your brain soon filters out the lack of clarity from the analogue reception.
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

35i-Nut

Post by 35i-Nut » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:19 pm

If I'm honest I cant see you getting anywhere with the dealer , they will tell you anything to part with your cash , if it was on your essential list you should have checked this yourself before parting with the readies

However , the Z is a great car I wouldn't get too hung up about the DAB , enjoy it for what it is :thumbsup:

ruffedlemurz4

Post by ruffedlemurz4 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks for the advice and sympathy. It was very much needed. I like dab for some of the stations that you can't get on normal radio
The dealer has admitted liability and will retrofit a radio at their cost.
I just wish I hadn't had to chase so hard.
In no way does it detract from the best car decision I have ever made! I love my z4 and would without any in car entertainment of any kind.
Viv
2013 E89 2.0 msport in space grey
Comfort pack with cruise, storage, lighting, wind deflector, heated seats, stubby.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:18 pm

As long as the dealer has done the decent thing!
We've all dropped clangers at work and been red faced at times.

It's all about how things are corrected !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:49 pm

My new van has DAB and I like it because I can get LBC nearly everywhere now :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981