Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service Stamps

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
dk345

Service Stamps

Post by dk345 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi guys,

So my Z4 was in the dealership on Monday to have its brake fluid changed as per the iDrive and a complimentary vehicle helth check.

Got a 435i as a courtesy car - actually quite quick and I like the external looks, but the interior just didn't feel as nice, well built or comfortable as the Z4.

Anyway, this counts as a service to be consumed by my service pack, even though it's not a full on car "service" as many people know it to be.

My question is, would you guys expect the service book to be stamped? I know the service history is all electronic now and stored in the key, but the dealer made no mention of a stamp and the book wasn't even in the car.

How important is a stamp these days? The dealer and my iDrive know it's been done, but all I have to prove that is a receipt.

Cheers.
2013 Mineral White 35iS

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Service Stamps

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:37 pm

I'd ask for the book to be stamped for any future owners peace of mind if nothing else, I don't understand why it wasn't done? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Service Stamps

Post by markplant » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Isn't there a specific section in the service book for break fluid changes to be stamped, although unsure about e89
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

srhutch

Service Stamps

Post by srhutch » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Smartbear wrote:I'd ask for the book to be stamped for any future owners peace of mind if nothing else, I don't understand why it wasn't done? :?
Rob
x2

Northotheborder

Service Stamps

Post by Northotheborder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:22 pm

I had a recent oil and brake fluid change at my local BMW dealer, the car didn't need anything else. I had to ask the service dept to stamp the book.

dk345

Service Stamps

Post by dk345 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I was going to get the stamp anyway, glad I'm not the only person who thinks it should have been done.
2013 Mineral White 35iS

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Service Stamps

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 pm

A stamp in the book is not an option with my wife's 335 - it doesn't cone with a book they told me!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Service Stamps

Post by metal licker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:14 am

Mines just had its first service and the book was stamped :thumbsup:
Why didn't you take the book with you ?
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Service Stamps

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:23 am

I've had to return many a time to have my book stamped even though it's been on the passanger seat or handed to the service dept.

I believe that from late 2014/early 2015 all new BMWs do not have a service book and it's all electronically updated on the key as currently is. Not sure how this will work when trying to sell on. Just hand over a load of receipts or is it just a ploy to get people to phone that rather expensive number for historic BMW service confirmation
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Service Stamps

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:22 am

I'd get the book stamped for sure.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Service Stamps

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:38 am

Angie4m wrote:I
I believe that from late 2014/early 2015 all new BMWs do not have a service book and it's all electronically updated on the key as currently
Yes, Mrs K s car is July 2015 and I spent a couple of hours searching in my study for the service book - I was convinced I had filed it or basically lost it.
Eventually I phoned the dealer to ask for a replacement and was given the info re electronically saved.
Personally, I would much prefer a book to supplement the electronic data.
The dealer said that as service items aren't regular and are on an 'as needed' by the system a book wouldn't be practical .
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Service Stamps

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:43 am

ronk wrote:
Angie4m wrote:I
I believe that from late 2014/early 2015 all new BMWs do not have a service book and it's all electronically updated on the key as currently
Yes, Mrs K s car is July 2015 and I spent a couple of hours searching in my study for the service book - I was convinced I had filed it or basically lost it.
Eventually I phoned the dealer to ask for a replacement and was given the info re electronically saved.
Personally, I would much prefer a book to supplement the electronic data.
The dealer said that as service items aren't regular and are on an 'as needed' by the system a book wouldn't be practical .
I would very much argue the last part. BMW have condition based servicing but they still replace everything even if it doesn't need to be done. Which was supposedly the whole point. The car also, as you know Ron will tell you at 2 years it needs a oil change and then at 3 years tell you it needs a brake fluid change and then at 4 years tell you it needs another oil change this time with spark plugs as well as a 'vehicle inspection' service and then at 5 years another brake fluid change. So unless you do mega miles or drive the car extremely hard the time will come up before the miles. So their service items aren't regular is absolute nonsense and clearly made up.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

dk345

Service Stamps

Post by dk345 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:45 am

metal licker wrote:Mines just had its first service and the book was stamped :thumbsup:
Why didn't you take the book with you ?
I'll be honest, I completely forgot that the car was meant to be going in, so it was quite the rush around when I realised and I just forgot to take the service book out with me.

It doesn't live in the car, it lives in my drawer of many things, the manual and all its leaflets just won't fit in the glovebox...

My old 330 had service stamps added by the same dealer but they always asked for it when I handed the keys over. Perhaps they'd have stamped the Z4's if the book was there. I'll pop by next weekend and get it sorted - can never have too much proof of a service really.
2013 Mineral White 35iS