Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW warranty renewal

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TONYMOR

BMW warranty renewal

Post by TONYMOR » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:37 pm

The used car warranty is up for renewal on 29.7.16 . . I've had details price etc includes recovery of £408. I was amazed to get a quote of £598 from warranty direct
Who I've used historically with a E85.
Guess it's a simple choice .... Or chance it and not take either out . Any advice out there?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

BMW warranty renewal

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:11 pm

TONYMOR wrote:The used car warranty is up for renewal on 29.7.16 . . I've had details price etc includes recovery of £408. I was amazed to get a quote of £598 from warranty direct
Guess it's a simple choice .... Or chance it and not take either out . Any advice out there?
I'd put the money in the bank and let it build up in case of any issues you get Tony, warranties are there to make other people money. Having said that I can do most mechanical repairs myself and admittedly my view is'nt shared by most on here, I think you'll get the majority to say renew your warranty.

It's worth a consideration though, if you don't get any big issues then you'll save up a decent wedge which is yours and not someone else's.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

sammyz

BMW warranty renewal

Post by sammyz » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Trying to decide the same issue. 33k on a 09 car. Do I get a warranty or put some money to one side.
I had one on my Z4M for 4 years and didn't claim once, sods law suggests I should put one on the 35I :lol:
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

GJC72

BMW warranty renewal

Post by GJC72 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:13 pm

I'll need to make a similar decision when the AUC warranty runs out in 10 months time. Never considered a warranty on my old 3.0si as they aren't that complex and most parts are relatively inexpensive. Having said that it suffered from two of the most common problems, roof motor and ABS module, within about 8 months of each which resulted in combined repair costs of about £1700.

With the E89 it's potential problems with the roof that worries me most, so if I can get a BMW Warranty for around £400, I'll take it for piece of mind. I'm sure i read somewhere there are 23 sensors in the roof mechanism so doubt it will take much to run up a £400 bill.
Last edited by GJC72 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Replacement: 2018 M240i Auto Convertible with plenty of options

Previous
2013 E89 Valencia Orange 20i sDrive Auto
2007 E85 Monaco Blue 3.0si
2003 E85 Sterling Grey 2.5i

The_Dude

BMW warranty renewal

Post by The_Dude » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Renewed mine last year. Was a no brainier as I had a sensor go in the roof whilst it was under the 12 month used warranty, and like you say it wouldn't take long to run up a bill. Especially when you rate in that their hourly labour is around £100 + vat.

I pay monthly, can't remember how much £30ish I think. That's for the £50 excess one on a 2010 23i.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

BMW warranty renewal

Post by Angie4m » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:49 pm

The_Dude wrote:Renewed mine last year. Was a no brainier as I had a sensor go in the roof whilst it was under the 12 month used warranty, and like you say it wouldn't take long to run up a bill. Especially when you rate in that their hourly labour is around £100 + vat.

I pay monthly, can't remember how much £30ish I think. That's for the £50 excess one on a 2010 23i.
And that's the point with these......the roof and those micro switches and for those with a 35 DTC then if that goes wrong well it'll be mucho money.

I recently had some work done which was less than my excess but at one point it looked like I was going to have to use it to have new command boxes installed because if they can't update your car, they need to be replaced. Again not cheap!

I've got a fully comp warranty on mines and it's £37.24 a month with £200 excess and BMW recovery (which is the standard cost for most E89s if not all as I've seen 28i owners quoted the same) The options for excess are £0, £100 & £200 but only if you are renewing an already warrantied car. If you don't renew and choose to do so later the choices are limited in terms of excess and the prices increase.

If I was stop and then restart it would be £47.99 a month with a £250 excess and BMW recovery. You'd save a tenner for the recovery aspect.

My precious E88 didn't have the warranty renewed and within 3 weeks and only 14k on the clock the DSC packed it in (a common issue) which I had to cough up for which was about the price of a warranty but only as I self disagnosed and asked them to fix. One garage was quoting over £1500! And then the roof got a hole in it from the inside about 4 months later again due to a design flaw but as I didn't have a warranty I still had to pay an amount towards it due to the recoding of the car. So I would have been cheaper with a warranty even though up until then I'd had no issues and thought why do I need it?

It's the same with the E89, never had any warranty work carried out or issues within the original warranty period. Sod's law I believe.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Pastry

BMW warranty renewal

Post by Pastry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:12 pm

If my current situation is anything to go by you may as well bank the money as BMW won't pay out anyway!
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

srhutch

BMW warranty renewal

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 pm

john-e89 wrote:
TONYMOR wrote:The used car warranty is up for renewal on 29.7.16 . . I've had details price etc includes recovery of £408. I was amazed to get a quote of £598 from warranty direct
I'd put the money in the bank and let it build up in case of any issues you get Tony, warranties are there to make other people money. Having said that I can do most mechanical repairs myself and admittedly my view is'nt shared by most on here, I think you'll get the majority to say renew your warranty.

It's worth a consideration though, if you don't get any big issues then you'll save up a decent wedge which is yours and not someone else's.
This is my view also. I can fix things myself where possible, where not get an Indy to do it at a better rate than main dealer.

sammyz

BMW warranty renewal

Post by sammyz » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:52 pm

A modern car is so full of electrics yet generally very reliable but a folding metal roof, twin turbo engine, DCT and i drive sports car is pushing your luck . :lol:

A good indi will be able to fix most things for half the price of a dealer. Also, if your car is not your daily driver you can afford to wait to get it fixed.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Z4_35i

BMW warranty renewal

Post by Z4_35i » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Our 2009 35i Z4 has been faultless in over 4 years of ownership, maybe we got a good one ...

TONYMOR

BMW warranty renewal

Post by TONYMOR » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Maybe I've been lucky but what price peace of mind .

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

BMW warranty renewal

Post by jimbo1958 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:09 am

Had a £3000 job consisting of replacing 6 injectors and a module carried out under Warranty last year.
If I keep the Zed and Warranty for another 5 years I'm still quids in. My Warranty is BMW/Mondial and is £45 a month.
Also had a £3000 job done on my E85 which again was covered by my Warranty.
Both claims went through with no problems by my Main Dealer.
I appreciate if you have a good local Indy these costs should be considerably less for the same job.
Probably have been unlucky in having these couple of large jobs and for most people £50 a month into a dedicated account would probably be enough to cushion any unexpected works.

Just another perspective. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

BMW warranty renewal

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Pastry wrote:If my current situation is anything to go by you may as well bank the money as BMW won't pay out anyway!
Your issue is with the anti corrosion warranty and the issue of 'non fixed pannels' which is completely different to the paid for insured warranty.

But people need to be aware that in order for the warranty to be hounered that they need to ensure the car is serviced in line with the spec. You don't have to get BMW to do it but the garage must be VAT registered and use OEM, equivalent or better parts in order for a service not to deem your warranty invalid.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

BMW warranty renewal

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:29 pm

jimbo1958 wrote:Had a £3000 job consisting of replacing 6 injectors and a module carried out under Warranty last year.
If I keep the Zed and Warranty for another 5 years I'm still quids in. My Warranty is BMW/Mondial and is £45 a month.
Also had a £3000 job done on my E85 which again was covered by my Warranty.
Both claims went through with no problems by my Main Dealer.
I appreciate if you have a good local Indy these costs should be considerably less for the same job.
Probably have been unlucky in having these couple of large jobs and for most people £50 a month into a dedicated account would probably be enough to cushion any unexpected works.

Just another perspective. :thumbsup:
Or it could just be the previous owners driving style that contributed to the issue given the amount of wheels he got through :P

Only joking Starky boy :driving:

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

TONYMOR

BMW warranty renewal

Post by TONYMOR » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 am

I've paid up and continued with the comprehensive policy . I'm always happy to read all the forum blogs on all matters but I hope that a certain feeling of confidence in this decision will be a benefit albeit hoping I don't have to put it to major test !!