Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Glass wind deflector

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
35i-Nut

Glass wind deflector

Post by 35i-Nut » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Tim

many thanks for posting the pictures , the plexi looks another good option :D

Gazhyde

Glass wind deflector

Post by Gazhyde » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Bought the perspex version from a UK manufacturer, drove for 6 miles towards work and took it off and then sent it straight back for a refund. Similar reasons to list above, primarily that it forces the air downwards and back in to the cabin making the situation considerably worse than without. Also the plastic vibrated in the air flow and caused a rattle against the roll hoops.

I think it's because the Z4 hoops are in line with the top of the windscreen which puts the perspex directly in to the air flow.

No way I could drive 75 miles daily using it. Found a bargain roll hoop mesh version and that is about as good as it will get I think.
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

Filtermike

Glass wind deflector

Post by Filtermike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:07 pm

I made a Perspex insert for the original mesh - works well for visability but the air does get forces back into the cabin - I do have a mesh one as well tend to change depending if it is a hoon or not (like to be able to see what is behind me :evil: ) the Perspex is a bit prone to getting scratched mind :thumbsdown:
Jaguar F-Type - Bluefire Blue
M2 Competition DCT - Hockenheim Silver :D
E89 2016 3.5iS plus all the extras - Valencia Orange - gone :o
E89 2014 2.8i M sport Valencia Orange - sold
White E89 2.3i High Line sold and missed

WilliamB

Glass wind deflector

Post by WilliamB » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Filtermike wrote:I made a Perspex insert for the original mesh - works well for visability but the air does get forces back into the cabin - I do have a mesh one as well tend to change depending if it is a hoon or not (like to be able to see what is behind me :evil: ) the Perspex is a bit prone to getting scratched mind :thumbsdown:
There is a german manufacturer that sells a glass version, their price isn't that bad. The e89 wasn't designed for a non-permeable deflector because it lacks the high-back, unlike most new 2-seater convertibles. That nice looking glass or perspex deflector means occasional sharp wind running behind your ear lobes or down your collar. Either get the original mesh (you can get kits on ebay, not every expensive) or keep your windows up and have no deflector and use more hair-gel.

David-H

Glass wind deflector

Post by David-H » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:48 am

Seems to be a choice of form or function. I have the OEM mesh and am happy with it and don't think that it affects the rear view too much; besides, the use of the mirrors on the doors helps to see what's happening behind you!
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

*AL*

Glass wind deflector

Post by *AL* » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 am

I've never had a problem with the mesh, I love it that you can drive 70-80 windows up and still have a conversation and not get blown about!
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

Dejablue

Glass wind deflector

Post by Dejablue » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:02 am

Pastry

Glass wind deflector

Post by Pastry » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:41 am

I've got a spare Perspex one I can bring to Zedfest if you want to try one out? It has Velcro which wraps around the roll bar hoops
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i