Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rattle inside silencers

stuartinzg

Rattle inside silencers

Post by stuartinzg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:06 am

I have been noticing a very annoying rattle and vibration for a while now. I thought at first it might be the new tips I installed, so I had them welded on and still it persisted. It was rattling at idle, but under half load it also made a strange noise like metal pieces flapping around.

Took the car to the shop today and we put it up on the ramps to start banging around.

Turns out the rear silencers have rust parts inside them (both silencers)- when you hit them with your hand, and also further down, hitting the secondary cats, they make the same noise as at idle.

:headbang:

I think my warranty just ran out too. Might be a good reason to get that Eisenmann race finally?
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

35i-Nut

Rattle inside silencers

Post by 35i-Nut » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Man thats a bummer

I'm debating to get a custom made system with secondary CAT delete , prices are coming in at around £550

Also looking to just get the OEM tips cut off and new tips welded on £140

Although the eisenmann system is nice , just cant justify £1400 !

Also been looking a this system which is more resonably priced -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Sports-Ex ... SwyQtV4Cjl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYmiJ9_LjKI

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Rattle inside silencers

Post by Maniac » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:58 pm

Thankfully I had a full system replacement at year 3 due to the exhaust flap failing. Still, my car has done a lot of very short trips and I suspect that will reduce the lifespan quite a bit.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Rattle inside silencers

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:33 pm

It looks and sounds a fantastic system Stuart, I suppose it depends if your cars a keeper and affordability obviously, from what you've already done I'd guess it is for the foreseeable sooo go for it, your car deserves no less... :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

stuartinzg

Rattle inside silencers

Post by stuartinzg » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 am

john-e89 wrote:It looks and sounds a fantastic system Stuart, I suppose it depends if your cars a keeper and affordability obviously, from what you've already done I'd guess it is for the foreseeable sooo go for it, your car deserves no less... :thumbsup:
Hi John,

Yes I would love it, but I would also love the LSD, which would provide a lot more value for money in the performance stakes.
I can't justify spending £3000 extra on the car this year, so I'll have to pick and prioritise!
Temped to take the exhaust off and try and shake the rust out, or cut open the silencer and re-pack it.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Rattle inside silencers

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:10 am

stuartinzg wrote:
john-e89 wrote:It looks and sounds a fantastic system Stuart, I suppose it depends if your cars a keeper and affordability obviously, from what you've already done I'd guess it is for the foreseeable sooo go for it, your car deserves no less... :thumbsup:
Hi John,

Yes I would love it, but I would also love the LSD, which would provide a lot more value for money in the performance stakes.
I can't justify spending £3000 extra on the car this year, so I'll have to pick and prioritise!
Temped to take the exhaust off and try and shake the rust out, or cut open the silencer and re-pack it.
Well if you've got access to a welder etc, that sounds the only short term option other than buying new boxes Stuart, I would'nt imagine 35is exhausts are littering the breakers yards, especially where you are.

Is it worth doing a find-a-part search on the interweb as a stop gap?

BTW are you still going to the Watermill meet next month? I'm looking doubtful as having some un-expected surgery on 3rd August, it's got to stay an open internal wound and self heal so it's not looking good, pissed off as I was looking forward to that chat and seeing your mods. Not definate though so fingers crossed.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

techathy

Rattle inside silencers

Post by techathy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:05 am

Are you getting the same sound from the secondary cats? If so you may not have a problem with the silencers at all. Given what my Z4 is doing with 'correct' fueling & given the Thunderclaps like Thor... thread I'd suggest the secondary cats may have got scorched and started to fall apart. Now debris from this has made its way into the back boxes.

So you're car is auto-decatting?.. be happy people pay money for that :rofl:
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

stuartinzg

Rattle inside silencers

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:58 am

john-e89 wrote:
stuartinzg wrote:
Hi John,

Well if you've got access to a welder etc, that sounds the only short term option other than buying new boxes Stuart, I would'nt imagine 35is exhausts are littering the breakers yards, especially where you are.

Is it worth doing a find-a-part search on the interweb as a stop gap?

BTW are you still going to the Watermill meet next month? I'm looking doubtful as having some un-expected surgery on 3rd August, it's got to stay an open internal wound and self heal so it's not looking good, pissed off as I was looking forward to that chat and seeing your mods. Not definate though so fingers crossed.
Yes I'm definitely coming. Bringing my father along too as I haven't seen him all year.

Hope you can make it, sorry to hear about the unexpected surgery, bit of a bugger :(

stuartinzg

Rattle inside silencers

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:03 am

techathy wrote:Are you getting the same sound from the secondary cats? If so you may not have a problem with the silencers at all. Given what my Z4 is doing with 'correct' fueling & given the Thunderclaps like Thor... thread I'd suggest the secondary cats may have got scorched and started to fall apart. Now debris from this has made its way into the back boxes.

So you're car is auto-decatting?.. be happy people pay money for that :rofl:
You are probably right - because the noise is not really that pleasant :(

The Eisenmann removes the secondary cats and replaces them with what looks like a resonator.

Doh :headbang:

stuartinzg

Rattle inside silencers

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:41 am

Quick update, now I'm in the UK I hunted around and found this chap: www.exhaustmods.co.uk I'm booked in for Friday.

He will take out the secondary cats and cut open my silencers, fix all the issues and put it all back together again.

Gives me a bit more time to sort out another exhaust rather than rushing as MHD Stage 1+FMIC seems a better option (additional cooling from the Evo FMIC) which would provide more tangible benefit for less money, given I am still trying to save for that Caterham :driving:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Rattle inside silencers

Post by john-e89 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:09 am

Hey Stuart,

No hope of making it to the watermill, gutted, have a great day and thanks very much for offering me a try of your fettled car, was really looking forward to the differences to stock. Hopefully another time. :(

Take plenty of pics please. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

stuartinzg

Rattle inside silencers

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:13 pm

john-e89 wrote:Hey Stuart,

No hope of making it to the watermill, gutted, have a great day and thanks very much for offering me a try of your fettled car, was really looking forward to the differences to stock. Hopefully another time. :(

Doh! Hope you get better soon. Where are you based? If you aren't too far from Long Sutton is there the option for a pub visit on Saturday?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Rattle inside silencers

Post by john-e89 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 pm

stuartinzg wrote:

Doh! Hope you get better soon. Where are you based? If you aren't too far from Long Sutton is there the option for a pub visit on Saturday?
I'm in Derbyshire in the Peak District Stuart, too far and at the moment I'm bed ridden, 32 tablets inc' injections a day, like a zombie!

Cheers for the thought though, next time your in Blighty we'll have a meet up & a pint. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

stuartinzg

Rattle inside silencers

Post by stuartinzg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:28 am

john-e89 wrote:
stuartinzg wrote:

I'm in Derbyshire in the Peak District Stuart, too far and at the moment I'm bed ridden, 32 tablets inc' injections a day, like a zombie!

Cheers for the thought though, next time your in Blighty we'll have a meet up & a pint. :thumbsup:
Blimey, sounds serious :cry:

Yep, I will be back nearer Christmas or failing that next year. Car will be better then too :thumbsup:

Get well soon :thumbsup:

techathy

Rattle inside silencers

Post by techathy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:47 pm

stuartinzg wrote:
john-e89 wrote:I'm in Derbyshire in the Peak District Stuart, too far and at the moment I'm bed ridden, 32 tablets inc' injections a day, like a zombie!

Blimey, sounds serious :cry:

Yep, I will be back nearer Christmas or failing that next year. Car will be better then too :thumbsup:

Get well soon :thumbsup:
Can only re-iterate that. GWS!
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS