Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My impressions of 718 Boxster S versus e89 z4 2.8

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 am

New2Zed wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that most Porches are but ugly? Bit shallow, I know.
They dont do it for me either.
In the 80s I thought the 911 was cool but they really havnt changed much over the years and now look dated to me.
One I like the most is the Caymen but even then is it just because its a Porsche and the best of a bad bunch?
No offense to any Porsche lovers intended.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am

Nictrix wrote:
New2Zed wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that most Porches are but ugly? Bit shallow, I know.
In the 80s I thought the 911 was cool but they really havnt changed much over the years and now look dated to me.
One I like the most is the Caymen but even then is it just because its a Porsche and the best of a bad bunch?
For me its a bit like the Mini's. Having owned both Porsches and modern Mini's you do come away thinking great cars to drive but not the best looking/stylish thing in the world. I remember when the E89 came out and I was thinking of chopping my 987 for one, it looked so fresh/cool in comparison.
The thing is you can try to keep that classic look a bit too much, the current mini is horrible in my opinion (sorry owners!) Modern Mini wise the first gen was/looked cool, the second was ok, but this third one is terrible.
Last edited by MACK on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 am

MACK wrote:
Nictrix wrote:
For me its a bit like the Mini's. Having owned both Porsches and modern Mini's you do come away thinking great cars to drive but not the best looking/stylish thing in the world. I remember when the E89 came out and I was thinking of chopping my 987 for one, it looked so fresh/cool in comparison.
The thing is you can try to keep that classic look a bit too much, the current mini is horrible in my opinion (sorry owners!) Modern Mini wise the first gen was/looked cool, the second was ok, but this third one is terrible. Sames true for me with the Porsche 718, the rear is fugly, the post facelift car was much better.
I agree that the mini has lost the plot over the years, but imo the boxster is improving - I really like the overall lines and shape of the 718 and prefer the back end to previous incarnations.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 am

My take on it is the new 718 looks a bit max power at the rear. The lights clusters look like they after market halfords jobbies, or even a bit original Lexus IS200.
PORSHE-718Boxter_Rear2.jpg
PORSHE-718Boxter_Rear2.jpg (46.75 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
I did prefer the simpler look of 981
981-05.jpg
981-05.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:42 am

I like the 981 too, I was comparing recent boxsters with the 987
Last edited by Marlon on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 am

MACK wrote:
Nictrix wrote:
The thing is you can try to keep that classic look a bit too much, the current mini is horrible in my opinion (sorry owners!) Modern Mini wise the first gen was/looked cool, the second was ok, but this third one is terrible. Sames true for me with the Porsche 718, the rear is fugly, the post facelift car was much better.
I completely aree with the minis, we owned one for just over 4 years and they are not the best to look at and the interior is just outdated.
The new minis have just been changed for the sake of changing, the rear lights just look oversized and spoil what little looks they had.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:39 am

Nictrix wrote:
MACK wrote:
Nictrix wrote: They dont do it for me either.
I completely aree with the minis, we owned one for just over 4 years and they are not the best to look at and the interior is just outdated.
The new minis have just been changed for the sake of changing, the rear lights just look oversized and spoil what little looks they had.
I agree, the whole thing looks awkward and oversized, more Maxi than Mini these days. Wont be long before they are launching a model to sit below the Mini called er......The Mini Mini?! :headbang:
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Well I have owned 2 e89's and now have 981 boxster GTS , I would say that in the beauty stakes the Z4 wins it however when it comes to driving in press on mode The Porsche is much better , in the z4 i always felt I was on the edge whereas the Porsche still feels composed this might be that my e89s were 35is and some people have said the chassis is not up to the power also although its slightly larger the porsche actually feels smaller which I like
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

techathy

Post by techathy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 am

chasBMW wrote:Well I have owned 2 e89's and now have 981 boxster GTS , I would say that in the beauty stakes the Z4 wins it however when it comes to driving in press on mode The Porsche is much better , in the z4 i always felt I was on the edge whereas the Porsche still feels composed this might be that my e89s were 35is and some people have said the chassis is not up to the power also although its slightly larger the porsche actually feels smaller which I like
From my experience chassis problems with regard to handling the power are resolved by upgrading the driver. The chassis does need the right touch to exploit its potential.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:27 pm

techathy wrote:
chasBMW wrote:Well I have owned 2 e89's and now have 981 boxster GTS , I would say that in the beauty stakes the Z4 wins it however when it comes to driving in press on mode The Porsche is much better , in the z4 i always felt I was on the edge whereas the Porsche still feels composed this might be that my e89s were 35is and some people have said the chassis is not up to the power also although its slightly larger the porsche actually feels smaller which I like
From my experience chassis problems with regard to handling the power are resolved by upgrading the driver. The chassis does need the right touch to exploit its potential.
Well i'd be the first to admit im not lewis hamilton or even close but as my driving has been consistant and the Porsche feels much better it must be the car :)
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:55 am

chasBMW wrote:
techathy wrote: From my experience chassis problems with regard to handling the power are resolved by upgrading the driver. The chassis does need the right touch to exploit its potential.
Well i'd be the first to admit im not lewis hamilton or even close but as my driving has been consistant and the Porsche feels much better it must be the car :)
That's where the 'right touch' comes in. The Boxsters & Caymans have a wealth of traction which is well balanced so accommodate a wide range of driving styles. The Z4 is much more picky about how you drive it, get it wrong and the Zed is never balanced and has this kind of slightly numb nervousness.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:33 pm

techathy wrote: the Zed is never balanced and has this kind of slightly numb nervousness.
no that would be the electric steering and runflats :P
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Rathean

Post by Rathean » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:20 pm

chasBMW wrote:Well i'd be the first to admit im not lewis hamilton or even close but as my driving has been consistant and the Porsche feels much better it must be the car :)
I agree, my ol' Boxster made driving on the edge a far more manageable for a commute-a-day driver like me, but that's exactly the reason I prefer the Z4. Don't want to spend hours a day on the roads without occasionally feeling my heart in my mouth :evil: :poke:
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:56 pm

sars wrote:
techathy wrote: the Zed is never balanced and has this kind of slightly numb nervousness.
no that would be the electric steering and runflats :P
Oddly enough when you get it right there isn't this numb nervousness even on RFT tyres so :P back at ya.

Simon20VT

Post by Simon20VT » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Drove both the 2.0 base model and the 2.5 s today. The exhaust note on both is very different. The base model sounds much better than the s and certainly sounds better than the z4. It's also noticeably quieter than the s. Neither had the sports exhaust. Base had a manual and the s was pdk. The manual box is incredible, so slick and fast it puts the z4 to shame. Weird thing was the height of the stick, felt a bit odd having been used to the z4. Interior quality is miles ahead of the z4, except the indicator stalk. For some reason it felt cheap in comparison. One win for the Z4 at least. On the road the performance between the two models was pretty negligible. Steering was incredible, again far better than the z4.