Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport+

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

Sport+

Post by stuartinzg » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:25 am

35i-Nut wrote:
stuartinzg wrote:
35i-Nut wrote:
90% of the time I love the DCT but occasionally it frustrates me and wish I had just gone manual !
Why don't you just use the paddles? :-?
Your right and I should do :lol: you just get lazy with the DCT !
You need to remember it's an automated manual and the changing style isn't like a normal auto. It goes up and down sequentially, did you notice that it will never skip a gear? With automatics they can quickly swap around and have a torque converter for smoother riding.

The DCT usually will never properly guess where you want it to be on a spirited drive, so I always have that in my mind when I'm driving and think the paddles are just an electronic stick.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

techathy

Sport+

Post by techathy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Odd gears are on one drive shaft, even gears are on another drive shaft. As long as you're going to another gear that on the opposite shaft it can block sot just fine. However, it's only kick down that will cause a block shift.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

Filtermike

Sport+

Post by Filtermike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:59 pm

Totally agree can be too many settings and usually run in sports mode for both and use the paddles at roundabouts and T junctions because of the slow response sometimes :headbang: you are right default should be sport + sport - otherwise fantastic car love the sounds :thumbsup:
Jaguar F-Type - Bluefire Blue
M2 Competition DCT - Hockenheim Silver :D
E89 2016 3.5iS plus all the extras - Valencia Orange - gone :o
E89 2014 2.8i M sport Valencia Orange - sold
White E89 2.3i High Line sold and missed

stuartinzg

Sport+

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:04 am

techathy wrote:Odd gears are on one drive shaft, even gears are on another drive shaft. As long as you're going to another gear that on the opposite shaft it can block sot just fine. However, it's only kick down that will cause a block shift.
I did wonder how kick down managed to swap so many gears - I assumed it had some way of disconnecting the clutch completely and doing some sort of wizardry.

But, I can't stand kick-down, when I finally get this MHD installed I'll be ticking "disable kickdown" :thumbsup:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories