Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Head Unit

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
adann

New Head Unit

Post by adann » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:24 pm

I'm getting a new Sony head unit installed in my car on Tuesday by Halfords as I would like both Bluetooth and Dab. Sadly, they don't have any of the Connect 2 CTSBM009 (Steering Wheel Adapters in stock) and will not for a very long time by the sounds of it. My question is, if I go ahead with the install on Tuesday, if I was to buy this adapter separately to get installed outside of Halfords, would it be a difficult job?
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

85genius

New Head Unit

Post by 85genius » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:28 pm

adann wrote:I'm getting a new Sony head unit installed in my car on Tuesday by Halfords as I would like both Bluetooth and Dab. Sadly, they don't have any of the Connect 2 CTSBM009 (Steering Wheel Adapters in stock) and will not for a very long time by the sounds of it. My question is, if I go ahead with the install on Tuesday, if I was to buy this adapter separately to get installed outside of Halfords, would it be a difficult job?
5-10 minutes depending on how difficult it is to pop the Sony HU out and weather it's just slots straight back in after or there are wires in the way
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

adann

New Head Unit

Post by adann » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:37 pm

85genius wrote:
adann wrote:I'm getting a new Sony head unit installed in my car on Tuesday by Halfords as I would like both Bluetooth and Dab. Sadly, they don't have any of the Connect 2 CTSBM009 (Steering Wheel Adapters in stock) and will not for a very long time by the sounds of it. My question is, if I go ahead with the install on Tuesday, if I was to buy this adapter separately to get installed outside of Halfords, would it be a difficult job?
5-10 minutes depending on how difficult it is to pop the Sony HU out and weather it's just slots straight back in after or there are wires in the way
So reckon it would be pretty easy job? I probably wouldn't attempt it myself and would try and find a car audio shop somewhere.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

85genius

New Head Unit

Post by 85genius » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:26 pm

It's dead easy but if you don't fancy doing yourself get it before you buy the headunit and get halfords to fit it when they do the install will add literally 30 seconds to the job for them
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

adann

New Head Unit

Post by adann » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:34 pm

85genius wrote:It's dead easy but if you don't fancy doing yourself get it before you buy the headunit and get halfords to fit it when they do the install will add literally 30 seconds to the job for them
I did ask them this, they said they would only fit it came direct from Connect 2 (where the massive wait is) and would not install it if purchased elsewhere.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

goldbcfc

New Head Unit

Post by goldbcfc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:25 pm

I got this sony BT one few month ago really good I wouldn't even bother about steering wheel function unless you really cant do without it but yeah is easy just pull stereo out and attach the unit
Attachments
IMG_9256.JPG
IMG_9256.JPG (83.57 KiB) Viewed 1056 times

35i-Nut

New Head Unit

Post by 35i-Nut » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:03 pm

I you change the OEM head unit I'm sure I read somewhere the main dealer cant do any new updates ?

adann

New Head Unit

Post by adann » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Mine isn't iDrive so have no screen so would imagine that wouldn't affect me?
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

goldbcfc

New Head Unit

Post by goldbcfc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:06 am

it isn't a straight swap though its quite complicated if your z4 uses bmw amp in the boot. Mine all needed rewiring and bmw amp bypassed for the new headunit to work. I bought it and plugged it in but got no sound so I went back in and the audio guy came out to have a look. Had to basically re-route all the audio wiring form rear to the front to work took about 1.5hr.

adann

New Head Unit

Post by adann » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Halfords were unable to fit it so will probably leave it for a while and have a think what to do. Wondering whether to go down the route of getting a parrot kit installed for the bluetooth and the DAB from BMW with the little remote. Anyone who has gone for the BMW DAB retrofit have any opinions on it?
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

philip27

New Head Unit

Post by philip27 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:49 am

Be interested to hear if you do go the dab add on route. The lack of dab is the one thing I really miss on my car.

Did they give any reason why they couldn't fit it ?
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

adann

New Head Unit

Post by adann » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:01 pm

philip27 wrote:Be interested to hear if you do go the dab add on route. The lack of dab is the one thing I really miss on my car.

Did they give any reason why they couldn't fit it ?
The fascia that was recommended for it was too big and didn't fit. I had gone to get it fitted several times and there were always issues so decided to look for another option.

The DAB option through BMW seems quite reasonably priced but it's the separate control I don't like the idea of.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

goldbcfc

New Head Unit

Post by goldbcfc » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:13 am

contact dean Harrison on he does all the bmw audio solutions hes got an ebay page and website etc either search him or bmw audio on facebook he wil help most his stuff is direct from Germany he supplies all lighting and audio upgrades for most bmw models

adann

New Head Unit

Post by adann » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:16 am

Still have had no luck with this. Halfords were unable to do it, a recommended Car Audio shop locally have sadly closed down and other branches are too far.

I have contacted a couple of other Car Audio shops who have surprisingly said they will not touch it. I am now at the point where my only option is to probably attempt it myself. I have found this kit on ebay, anyone have any experience with it or think there is a reason to avoid? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E89-20 ... SwsFpWRQiU
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

New Head Unit

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:45 am

I thought the E89 just had a standard DIN for the HU? Do BMW not make a facia adapter? Have seen Kenwood units installed.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.