Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Volume of oil / oil temp

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
gameover000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by gameover000 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:49 am

Hey folks,

I did an oil change a couple of days ago, but noticed a couple of things that I hope you may be able to clear up.

Firstly - while the engineer was warm (ish) I only managed to drain out 4.25L - so put the same back in. Both before and after, the reading showed as bang on the max line.

Secondly - oil temp is heating up much faster now, maybe 5-10 mins to the first notch whereas before itd take 20 or so. I don't know what oil was in before but could it simply because I'm using 5W30, it's fresh oil and it's been bloody boiling here in Scotland for once...?

First oil change in this one anyhoo, so any info would be appreciated thanks!

gameover000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by gameover000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:05 am

If anyone has any ideas before the morning, please do shout up - otherwise I'm going to drain/fill again as I'm worried the sensor is broken...can't think why it's only take 4.25ish :(

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:47 am

Silly question, but you did change the filter at the same time right? There would be some oil in there (but not as much as you appear to be missing, I wouldn't think)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

gameover000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by gameover000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:32 am

I did yup. Stupidly fitted the new filter first though, but removed it again mid drain - didn't get a massive amount extra mind you.

spanna2000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by spanna2000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:27 am

I've fancied doing this job - I used to do it on all my old bangers but stopped when I started buying cars that had manufacturer warranties and service requirements.

Now that I have more time on my hands and I agree that the manufacturer service interval is the worst case and an interim oil/filter change would be a good idea it seems like something I should just get on and do.

If you want to take some photos of your progress I'm sure it would help those of us thinking about it to be reminded of the realities of things like sump plug removal/o rings/ filter removal etc vs the way we remember it. How do you feel about posting a photo set of your progress?

gameover000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by gameover000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:45 am

Too late, sorry! Just finished. Very quick job mind you - remove filter, undo panel in the middle of underside of the engine - the drain plug is a plastic large hex, think it's 10mm... Watch out for the crush washer falling in the oil!

Drain, plug then top up!

My issue on the other hand...realised it wasn't an issue. Opie sent me 7L, and me not thinking about it didn't question the capacity - the 20i only takes 4.5L!

Hahahaha, amateur hour here, but at least there's no issue!

spanna2000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by spanna2000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:47 pm

I suppose this makes documenting this my problem then. I need to do some research first though as crush washer means nothing to me.

gameover000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by gameover000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:23 pm

A longer version then....

Order what you need (opie oils will send you what you need based on the car - albeit they sent me more oil than I needed):

Oil.
Oil filter (will include 2 rubber washers for the filter, 1 copper crush washer for the drain plug).
10mm Allen key/hex (for the drain plug.
Flathead screw driver (for the hatch that houses the drain plug).
Something to drain the oil into, and ideally something that'll measure the volume afterwards (I buy the cheap asda 2L water bottles).
Either a correctly sized oil filter wrench OR a generic strap/chain type - I used the latter, though it can be a bit tight at times.

Warm the car up - anything past the 70 should hear it up enough to flow nicely.
Jack the car - I do both sides, some do one side. Make sure it's secure enough with axle stands as you'll be under it soon!
Remove the oil filter - careful when it comes loose as it'll dribble down the side of the filter so have a container handy to sit it in.
Replace the 2 rubber washers on the filter with the new ones.
Get under the car..
There's a small hatch in the middle rear of the underside - use the screw driver to open it.
Next, start loosening the drain plug with the chunky hex - when it seems like it'll come free, get the oil pan under and await the waterfall! Keep in mind to not let the drain plug fall in the pan - there should also be a copper washer fall out too if they did it properly previously.
Let it drain - once done, measure it out to determine how much to put back in.
Some folks like to fill the filter with oil, some don't - Either way, fit the filter back into the housing making sure there's nothing else in there. Tighten it up - torque if you've bought the correct oil filter wrench.
Fit the copper washer and drain plug again, level the car then fill her up with the amount you drained

Simple job really - best to do the cabin and air filters while there too - both dead simple (cabin is under the glovebox, air is front right big box in the engine bay).

NOTE - I'm no expert, so if anyone disagrees, speak up!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 pm

gameover000 wrote:Too late, sorry! Just finished. Very quick job mind you - remove filter, undo panel in the middle of underside of the engine - the drain plug is a plastic large hex, think it's 10mm... Watch out for the crush washer falling in the oil!

Drain, plug then top up!

My issue on the other hand...realised it wasn't an issue. Opie sent me 7L, and me not thinking about it didn't question the capacity - the 20i only takes 4.5L!

Hahahaha, amateur hour here, but at least there's no issue!
Hi, surely the e89 doesn't have a plastic drain bolt!
That's taking cost cutting a step too far! :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by dr_john » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:43 pm

On the time to heat up issue - I would say what you are seeing now (5 - 10 mins to first notch) is what I have experienced in my e89s rather than 20 mins.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

gameover000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by gameover000 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Least it's not going to thread the metal I guess Rob :D

John, that's good to know! Strange that pre oil change mine took an age mind you. Either way, car feels a lot better for it - screw the daft condition based intervals

spanna2000

Volume of oil / oil temp

Post by spanna2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks for the very detailed write up - I'll want to do this. I need to think about lifting up the car as our land is sloping and I'd have to purchase a jack as I gave mine (and axle stands) away years ago when I decided I wouldn't be doing my own maintenance again.

I'll have a word with my neighbour and see if he wants to lend a hand. if I do this I will take pictures but from your write up I don't see how it could be clearer. Thanks again.