Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric boot bypass for Europe

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
roger1

Post by roger1 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:52 pm

I know the US cars have a handle in the boot to emergency open it from I side but European cars don't. This is a disaster if the battery is say disconnected and the boot is lowered it cannot be opened.
Also a disaster if the roof ecu thinks the roof is not open and not closed with a defective sensor.
The pass through can always be busted out into the boot from the cabin in an emergency which usually results in no damage to the pass through tabs. Could someone kindly post what parts are in the US version that aren't in the European to retrofit this essential feature.
Thank you.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun May 29, 2016 9:38 pm

I would be surprised if the emergency handle works without power to the unlock motors.
I know I had the boot lid trim out and can see where a Bowden cable might be attached to a lever on the unlock solenoid. Pushing the lever manually seemed to cause the motors to operate to unlock boot lid.
Someone on the US forum had a problem because they disconnect the wrong lead to the positive and got locked out of boot.
Safer to remove the connectors directly at the battery as though it's going to be replaced.
Then the under bonnet lugs can be used to power the car.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon May 30, 2016 8:15 am

flybobbie wrote:I would be surprised if the emergency handle works without power to the unlock motors.
I know I had the boot lid trim out and can see where a Bowden cable might be attached to a lever on the unlock solenoid. Pushing the lever manually seemed to cause the motors to operate to unlock boot lid.
Someone on the US forum had a problem because they disconnect the wrong lead to the positive and got locked out of boot.
Safer to remove the connectors directly at the battery as though it's going to be replaced.
Then the under bonnet lugs can be used to power the car.
Would appear it can be opened using the emergency handle.
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551447
I would suspect that only if the boot was closed power off so that it's not draw down by the lock motors.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Mon May 30, 2016 8:59 am

I did wonder about this. I had the battery out the other week and took it inside for a overnight charge. Left the boot lid resting whilst I did as I was convinced I'd probably never get it open again.

Gonna have a wee look at this.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring