Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

windscreen woes..

jepowl

windscreen woes..

Post by jepowl » Fri May 27, 2016 3:44 pm

It's my front windscreen this time.

Got hit by a presumed stone.

It cracked the screen, so using my insurance policy, Autoglass have replaced it. I insisted on, and got, a BMW windscreen.

They have fitted it. Where the plastic trim, which is called the scuttle I believe, meets the bottom of the windscreen, there appears to be a few places where it doesn't quite touch (by a few mm at most). It used to fit flush before. I'm wondering if during the installation it got slightly deformed, and will slowly 'reform' back again. I thought I'd give it a few weeks, and if it doesn't sort, get Autoglass back to check it.

Anyone know much about the various components of windscreens and the surrounding trim?

many thanks

John

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

windscreen woes..

Post by flybobbie » Fri May 27, 2016 8:52 pm

Have you tried pushing the trim down.
There are several clips holding it down.
There is a male pin in the trim and a female lug in the body work.
I had this part off a few weeks ago to clear out any bits of leaves and seeds that fall from a tree I park under.
Surprised how little there was.
From memory there are about 8 push down pins holding it down.
Took me a few attempts to get all of them to align and push in.
When you pull the trim off, some of the female lugs become detached and almost impossible to push back in whilst still attached to the trim. They may have tried to push them in whilst still attached to trim.
I tried this and the trim wouldn't sit flush, until I sussed what was going on.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

windscreen woes..

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Almost certain they either broke off some of the pins as their base tears of the panel easily, or as posted above didn't separate the female part before refitting it.

Call them back to fix it and don't let them mastic/bond it to the screen
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jepowl

windscreen woes..

Post by jepowl » Sat May 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Many thanks - will get back to them, and report back...

SonnyA85

windscreen woes..

Post by SonnyA85 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:07 pm

jepowl wrote:It's my front windscreen this time.

Got hit by a presumed stone.

It cracked the screen, so using my insurance policy, Autoglass have replaced it. I insisted on, and got, a BMW windscreen.

They have fitted it. Where the plastic trim, which is called the scuttle I believe, meets the bottom of the windscreen, there appears to be a few places where it doesn't quite touch (by a few mm at most). It used to fit flush before. I'm wondering if during the installation it got slightly deformed, and will slowly 'reform' back again. I thought I'd give it a few weeks, and if it doesn't sort, get Autoglass back to check it.

Anyone know much about the various components of windscreens and the surrounding trim?

many thanks

John

I have a chip in mine which has been repaired but out of interest does having the full windscreen replaced count as a claim?

Z4Rick

windscreen woes..

Post by Z4Rick » Sat May 28, 2016 2:45 pm

"...count as a claim?"

Not in the US. Counts as a 'road hazard'. In 9 months, I had both windshields replaced in my Toyota FJ Cruiser and my wife's Jeep Wrangler XL from stone damage. Geico told me they were the two worst cars for windshield breakage due to them being so flat and so vertical. $200 deductible for each one - no premium penalty.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

windscreen woes..

Post by TitanTim » Sat May 28, 2016 3:09 pm

When I had my E89 this was one of the things that bugged me as the scuttle panel never fitted tight against the screen even from new from the factory. The plastic trim looked to be wafer thin and made of chocolate.

The scuttle panel on my Z3 is about 3 times as thick and more substantial so its just cost cutting.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

windscreen woes..

Post by ronk » Sat May 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Screen replacement bothers me - it seems they can't reliably fit trim never mind all the electronic bits hung behind the screen!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

roger1

windscreen woes..

Post by roger1 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Heat gun or mastic it in center and keep supported overnight.