Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot gas strut lifters

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
spanna2000

Boot gas strut lifters

Post by spanna2000 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:20 am

When pressing the boot release should the lid lift mostly on its own or, as in mine, just open small enough gap to get fingers in and lift the lid? Assuming it is supposed to have a bit more lift of its own, would this be anything other than tired gas struts?

M1ghty_m0use

Boot gas strut lifters

Post by M1ghty_m0use » Sun May 22, 2016 11:42 am

Great question mine only opens about 2 inch but have wonders this

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Boot gas strut lifters

Post by Maniac » Sun May 22, 2016 12:26 pm

The boot should open a little and that's it, you don't want it shooting up and knocking your teeth out.

spanna2000

Boot gas strut lifters

Post by spanna2000 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure the boot on my e90 used to open all the way when unlocked from the remote, at least it did for the first few years - not fast enough to do harm :-) I might be confusing it with an XF we had - people assumed it had an open/close motor.
I looked at some videos reviews of the e89 and they seem same as mine - boot opens just enough to get a grip. I'll check the manual to see if the badge is also a handle or I guess that is going to come off in my hand one day. The boot lid is heavy to lift. Makes the soft close pointless when the lid will slam itself.

First real day with my new old car today - we had some sun so managed to get the roof down which is the point of this car. Roof up I have rattles but at least the cup holders are quiet :D

I wish I had not read all the stuff @maniac wrote in the roof squeak thread that lead to the posts about ditching the Z4 and BMW dealers not taking them back at any price. I assume you still have yours though? I'm going to just tune that out for now and then if/when I get a problem I'll recalibrate my view.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Boot gas strut lifters

Post by Maniac » Sun May 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Boot definitely just opens half an inch and you must lift it. Soft close mech is just to ensure boot is closed properly ready for roof activation.

Still have mine, almost every niggle sorted over the years, no way it's going to leave my grasp, it's like an old expensive shoe now, fits me like a glove.

Don't worry about issues until they happen.