Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Insured Warranty rejected claim

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
martins

Post by martins » Sat May 21, 2016 11:00 am

Hi,

I've just had a claim rejected by BMW insurred warranty (Allianz). I have named component cover, which includes this:

Turbocharger: Factory fitted turbocharger, intercooler and wastegate.

I've described the fault here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=87475, which was with the pair of pressure converters that regulate the boost on the turbos. Now, to me thats a component of the turbo system, but Allianz are saying this isnt a named component :headbang:

Does anyone else have any experience of fighting this kind of battle? The dealer I used should really be doing this, but it was Vines Redhill and their customer service is diabolical!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

M.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 21, 2016 11:02 am

Named component says it all. You had linked/associated components replaced.

You might be better off putting your money in the bank each month with that policy.

martins

Post by martins » Sat May 21, 2016 4:28 pm

My argument is the pressure converter is a part of the turbo/intercooler, and the fault that was detected was a turbo over boost. Am I on thin ice with this argument? I'm trying to find a diagram or pic which shows where one of these pressure converters is to see if that helps my case. There is £275 in this for me so I'm not keen in giving up!

...but yes you're right, as soon as I have this claim settled I'm cancelling it!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 pm

That's the issue its part of the system, but not named component.

If the turbo or inter cooler needed replacing then that should be covered, but associated parts and other parts required to do the job aren't covered.

Only way is if you can get some goodwill I would say.

Z4_35i

Post by Z4_35i » Sat May 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Unfortunately this might be a difficult one to escalate, when you look at the breakdown of parts on RealOEM, the parts you've had replaced are shown under the vacuum control system not the turbo charger. As with all insurance, they'll try to not pay out unless they really have to. :(

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 1747626350

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp ... +35i&mg=11

martins

Post by martins » Sun May 22, 2016 10:15 am

Z4_35i wrote:Unfortunately this might be a difficult one to escalate, when you look at the breakdown of parts on RealOEM, the parts you've had replaced are shown under the vacuum control system not the turbo charger. As with all insurance, they'll try to not pay out unless they really have to. :(

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 1747626350

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp ... +35i&mg=11
Actually these links are exactly what I wanted, thanks very much! The fact that section is called 'Z4 E89 Z4 35i VACUM CONTROL-ENGINE-TURBO CHARGER' means I'm going to argue it is part of the turbo, and then I'll slowly wear them down with polite persistence... and then cancel the policy once the claim has been paid :thumbsup:

M.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 22, 2016 10:28 am

Still think you will have no joy. The wording of the policy says it all really. Other areas you might get help where it says "not limited to", but the turbo isn't one of these.

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/NamedCom ... entDetails

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:56 am

I wouldn't class boost solenoids as part of the turbo either, rather an ancillary. Would expect it to be covered under the comprehensive warranty but not named component if it wasn't specifically mentioned.

Would have been an easy enough fix without getting the dealer involved.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 am

How long have you had the car? For the money involved sale of goods act might be a better bet, would have to be a stubborn dealer to contest £300.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

martins

Post by martins » Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm

I've had the car 18 months, and the dealer that I bought from isn't near where I live (and wasn't who I used to fix it), so I'm a bit stuck there.

I'll continue my charm offensive with Allianz, my complaints lady is very efficient and attentive so you never know.

Meanwhile..
How could I have self-diagnosed this? I'm very keen on doing my own maintenance, but I'm not sure how I could have?

M.

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 pm

One way to approach it would be to see if you would get that part supplied with a replacement turbo. If not then your chances are 0, if it is then I'd say you have an argument worth fighting :driving:
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:49 pm

martins wrote:I've had the car 18 months, and the dealer that I bought from isn't near where I live (and wasn't who I used to fix it), so I'm a bit stuck there.

I'll continue my charm offensive with Allianz, my complaints lady is very efficient and attentive so you never know.

Meanwhile..
How could I have self-diagnosed this? I'm very keen on doing my own maintenance, but I'm not sure how I could have?

M.
Although this is one of the main forums for the Z4 it still has quite a small community. Mainly because the car is so rare. If you have a none engine related issue then this is the best place to come (roof problems etc). But when it comes to the engine related problems you need to be reading elsewhere.

The overboost code is quite commonly caused by either sticking wastegates or faulty solenoids. The N54 has plenty of niggles like that and the best place to seek help would be on an N54 focused forum like BimmerBoost or the N54 modifications area on E90post.

The E89 Z4 shares a platform with the E9x 3 series so you can often find solutions to issues on the larger 3 series boards.

JAD

Post by JAD » Fri May 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Unfortunately I agree with the above - most of these warranties are not quite worth the paper they're written on. I had a third party warranty on mine when I bought it from an Indie, knowing full well only named parts would be covered, not the "linked" parts.

BMW did a FOC Winter health check, which showed a snapped rear spring. Advice from here and both were replaced along with the rubber mounts/bases, but only one spring was refunded by the warranty claim and half an hours labour @ £180 p/hr. Total cost was just over £300.

Not wanting to start an argument, but this is where reading the small print pays off.