Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exhaust popping

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust popping

Post by flybobbie » Wed May 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Few weeks ago had a significant amount of Shell nitro fuel in the car.
Like to run tank full now and then in the hope it cleans the system out and I do notice a difference.
Something I noticed after a good run was how much loader the exhaust note was, as though a silencer baffle had come lose or something clogged became unclogged like the cats.
And how much extra popping of the exhaust happened on the overrun.
Even to the point of being embarrassed when a couple looked around to find out which chav was making the noise.
Quite sporty :D

Having put on my sensible head last week put Sainburys cheaper super unleaded in.

I notice all the popping has gone or barely noticeable :(

The only other factor was I was driving 1st to 10, 2nd to 20, 3rd at 30mph and so forth, as it makes the exhaust sportier.
With Sainsburys fuel just a muffled drone and barely a pop on overrun, same with straight unleaded.

A Jaguar fuel engineer friend tells me the pops are just over rich mixture igniting in the exhaust.
So does the Nitro change the fuelling as well as possibly the ignition timing via knock sensors?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust popping

Post by Maniac » Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 pm

You're basically talking about full performance on 98/99 Ron fuel and retarded ignition/reduced performance on Ron 95 fuel.