Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unwanted visitor

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 18, 2016 10:02 am

Sorry to hear this.
We also have a cat it brings more mice in than taking them out!!!
I had a mouse chew through my can bus network on mine. It was parked at my brothers workshop over Christmas. It was fairly easy to fix and cost about £500 to fix.

Dont forget if using a humane trap. You must release the mouse over a mile away or he will be back.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by PerryGunn » Wed May 18, 2016 10:17 am

Machine monkey wrote:Dont forget if using a humane trap. You must release the mouse into the kitchen sink waste disposal or he will be back.
Fixed your post for you Matt :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 18, 2016 10:33 am

PerryGunn wrote:
Machine monkey wrote:Dont forget if using a humane trap. You must release the mouse into the kitchen sink waste disposal or he will be back.
:rofl: :rofl: Sink pig loves mice. :rofl: :rofl:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

gov

Unwanted visitor

Post by gov » Wed May 18, 2016 10:41 am

We live in the country and have had mice in the garage and even a rat up in the loft once - came up through a storm drain - pest control man put poison up on the loft - never had one back since :evil: As for mice I've put poison in a couple of places on the rafters of the garage roof out of reach of anyone and put several traps there as well - haven't seen a mouse since :D :D

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by dr_john » Wed May 18, 2016 10:46 am

PerryGunn wrote:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Best solution! We are looking at humane traps mainly because we don't want our cat to accidentally get injured or worse. I would release the little sods at the far end of the village, there's a river between us and them.

As for the car, the damage to the bulkhead insulation is very superficial whereas the bonnet and engine insulation damage has penetrated right through the thickness so they definitely need replacing.

Thanks everybody for your comments, some of them were even useful!
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by PerryGunn » Wed May 18, 2016 10:49 am

dr_john wrote:As for the car, the damage to the bulkhead insulation is very superficial whereas the bonnet and engine insulation damage has penetrated right through the thickness so they definitely need replacing.
In that case, and given the likely cost, I wouldn't bother replacing the bulkhead insulation
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by dr_john » Wed May 18, 2016 10:55 am

PerryGunn wrote:
dr_john wrote:As for the car, the damage to the bulkhead insulation is very superficial whereas the bonnet and engine insulation damage has penetrated right through the thickness so they definitely need replacing.
In that case, and given the likely cost, I wouldn't bother replacing the bulkhead insulation
Yeah, that was the dealer's thoughts as well. They quoted me a shade over £200 to replace the bonnet and engine insulation, which is less than my insurance excess so I'll settle it out of pocket.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go out and get some mousetraps............. :D

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed May 18, 2016 10:59 am

My parents have glis glis (edible dormice) in their tack room and they're bloody hard to remove, not least of all because the law prohibits unlicensed people from catching or killing them. Fortunately, their cat is savage and has a voracious appetite for rodents!
I think I'll email my father now and ask him to make sure the cat spends some time sleeping with my Zed in their garage :evil:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

djb222

Unwanted visitor

Post by djb222 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 am

I've got some humane traps, then release. catch 2,3,4...at a time. get them off eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mouse-trap-hu ... 2054222984

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by dr_john » Wed May 18, 2016 12:56 pm

djb222 wrote:I've got some humane traps, then release. catch 2,3,4...at a time. get them off eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mouse-trap-hu ... 2054222984
Thanks, those look like the business!

Just ordered a couple from Ebay :thumbsup:

exdos

Unwanted visitor

Post by exdos » Wed May 18, 2016 1:48 pm

I live in the sticks and mice visit the outbuildings. I've tried all the usual tricks to deter them. Cats are the best but no longer have one. For the past 3 years, I've had a radio in my garage which comes on with a timer from dusk to dawn. I have it on Radio 4 because it's constant talking and this has considerably reduced the evidence of visits to almost nil.

beezernorton

Unwanted visitor

Post by beezernorton » Wed May 18, 2016 3:07 pm

When the scuttle plate came off for a windscreen replacement I found a nest built mainly of leaves plus various foam and rubber parts selected from my engine bay. Think it was an old one from previous owner but lucky I found it as it had blocked the big drain hole so was filling up and submersing the wiper motor regularly. Looking round the engine I could see lots of nibbling going on, hope it hasn't got anywhere near the wiring as I have a mate who had to sell his Porsche due to the little blighter attacking the wiring.
2013 E89 2.0 S-DRIVE M-SPORT TITANIUM SILVER

Sae

Unwanted visitor

Post by Sae » Wed May 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Btw, in all seriousness does fully comp cover rodent damage :?
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted visitor

Post by ronk » Wed May 18, 2016 4:45 pm

Make the cat go hungry for a while - Release a trapped mouse in the vicinity and the cat will soon get the idea that Mouse = Dinner
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

nb67

Unwanted visitor

Post by nb67 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:03 pm

dr_john wrote:
nb67 wrote:Your lucky as our friend who live in a rural location had wiring looms and fuel pipes chewed thru by rodents on 3 separate occasions on their cars.

I'm not sure how they've prevented it happening since but I'll ask to see if they have an tips for you.
Thanks, any tips gratefully received.

We are in a similar location, river at the bottom of the garden and open fields beyond. Great view, but obvious drawbacks.
Right, spoke to my mate who had a serious rodent issue being out in the sticks.

He used mouse traps, not humane I'm afraid, in the garage where they'd chewed thru his jump leads. Sorted over a period of 2 weeks.

For the car parked outside, he was told to use peppermint oil. Soaked a rag in it, popped it into a plastic bag and put a few holes in it. He then popped 2 of these bags under the bonnet, away from pulleys, heat or where they could cause an issue and he never had a problem after that.

It was also parked next to an edge, virtually touching it, he then parked as far from the edge as possible so that they could not get a leg up from the edge onto the car.

He doesn't know if it was more luck than judgement but he's not had a problem since, hope some of the above helps.
GONE - 3.0i SE. Sterling Grey. 2005.
Gaptech RCH+, ZHP, Stubby. CDV Delete.