Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Considering Z4 - How to tell if Adaptive M Suspension is included?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
philip27

Post by philip27 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Getting a look at the shocks seems the best way if you don't have the vin etc. I thought it was standard until a week ago until I got the info from Maniac.

Be warned if it goes wrong it's not cheap to fix as I am finding out.

That aside the 23i is still a great Z4 I have been very happy with mine. It's not the fastest Z4 but it goes well and is not exactly slow. The straight six engine is lovely and smooth.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

rskadk

Post by rskadk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Wondermike wrote:
rskadk wrote:Thanks for your answers. Im really confused whether i should get it with adaptive suspension or not.
I think it's pretty unlikely that you'll find a 23i with adaptive anyway, so not something to get you heart set on unfortunately.
Actually there is a lot of 23i with adaptive suspension for sale, so i dont think that is a problem. Most of them doesn't cost much extra with adaptive suspension.

rskadk

Post by rskadk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Nictrix wrote:Not that I am knocking adaptive suspension because I am not.
I have never been in a car with it but personally if you have never had it I doubt if you would miss it. I think it will also depend on what car you are coming from whether you think the suspension is hard or not.
I think the suspension in our 23i is superb, dont feel it crashy or hard at all but our other car is a Mini and you feel absolutely everything in that.
Cars previous to the Mini were a Hyundai Coupe and and also a 307 and the suspension is better than them also.
Even with the runflats the ride in the Z was better than the Mini.
I have newer had it. I get the point that it will be more stiff in the racetrack. But i'm more interrested in how it will work in daily driving, ex. highway (Normal speed) and normal city driving..

Rathean

Post by Rathean » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:43 pm

rskadk wrote:Actually there is a lot of 23i with adaptive suspension for sale, so i dont think that is a problem. Most of them doesn't cost much extra with adaptive suspension.
I guess it depends on what you're going to be doing with you car 8)

My previous 23i had adaptive suspension and used to crash over potholes but stuck to the road really well. My 35i has a standard set up, ride height is slightly higher and it feels far more refined - hitting the exact same pothole is a far less traumatic experience.
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:01 pm

I think car reviews didn't like the adaptive suspension and ride.
My 23i doesn't have it and with 18 inchers and non RFT feels great and holds the road well.
I would look for the iDrive screen, nice toy to play with.

David-H

Post by David-H » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 pm

flybobbie wrote:I think car reviews didn't like the adaptive suspension and ride.
My 23i doesn't have it and with 18 inchers and non RFT feels great and holds the road well.
+1 for having iDrive. :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

rskadk

Post by rskadk » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:25 pm

DLH wrote:
flybobbie wrote:I think car reviews didn't like the adaptive suspension and ride.
+1 for having iDrive. :thumbsup:
Yes - im also only looking for 23i with I-drive :) I guess it's impossible to buy/mount afterwards. Further more i wan't automatic transmission, black, black seats and a 2009 model. Thoose criteria seems to be hard to match, nt many available..