Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 sDrive23i M Sport Highline Edition - Ownership Diary

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Spuffington

Post by Spuffington » Thu May 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi chaps - not sure if anyone is interested in this, or whether there's even any point in keeping a thread alive on this forum as regards ownership, but I have done it for a long time with all of my previous BMWs on BMWLand and BMWLänder and some people have found it useful as an archive and true respresentation of what running whatever model it is is like in the "real world".

Happy to take feedback one way or t'other and hope you enjoy the read....

I'll start with photos, since everyone enjoys them! 8)

Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]

I collected my Sept. 2011 registered Z4 from Elms in Cambridge last Saturday; a two owner car (BMW plus one private individual) with 25,862miles on the clock, following a lengthy testdrive and equally lengthy period of considering what was the best thing to do. The car replaces my 2004 1.4i Polo Twist, which although stupidly reliable, cheap, in great condition and perfectly suited to the job of second car and station car, did nothing to fuel my petrolhead desires and left me feeling a bit empty. Although Mrs Spuff has a very nice F25 X3 for family duties and although the 2.0d powerplant is a wonderful mix of performance and economy, it also does nothing to set my pulse on fire.

Enter the Z4. It's stupidly impractical for a family of three. It's a complete waste of money sticking nearly 20k into a car which will do no more than 3-4k p.a. It's far too good to be left in a station or airport car park. But that's missing the point - this car is about livening up what are otherwise tedious, but necessary journeys and for bringing back a little of that excitement of driving and as a reward for working hard.

Collection day - Elms had done a fab job of prepping the car. All the marks on the bodywork (not many, but some could've been problematic) had been removed without trace. SMART repairs really have come on a huge way in the last few years. The wheels and tyres are brand new - I did think initially that they had just refurbed but one look inside the wheel rim confirms they are indeed new. :D

The car has a fairly sparten spec list, which is unusual for me. Starting with the engine. I'm usually one to go for the biggest non-///M engine I can find - 550i, 535d, 330Ci, xDrive40d etc. But I don't know whether it's a mixture of me growing up, realisation that power doesn't get you anywhere quicker, or whether the Polo, a 118d and owning a motorhome has taught me a valuable lesson that power doesn't necessarily equate to fun. Either way, when I truly reflected on this car, the important thing for me was the sensation and the emotion as much as the engine and performance. I read a lot of reviews prior to pulling the Trigger and although most circled on the 35i and 35is, there were one or two 23i Reviews which mirrored my own feelings; the chassis becomes even more exploitable with the lower powerplants and more fun can be had at "normal" (and dare I say, legal) road speeds. :?

The car is no slouch - 60mph comes up in a little over 6secs and in all but 6th gear, the slightest nudge of the throttle indicates there is the willingness to shift along. What is different to a lot of cars I've driven recently though is the torque. Having driven turbo diesels for a while, it's easy to get lazy and rely on huge blobs of torque - this car is different; it thrives on revs and not being overly endowed with power or torque, you really need to work it to get the best performance, which is great fun. And when doing so, it's possible not to get into silly speeds, which might otherwise be the case with more potent versions. But as above, speed is only half the story - the sound from this 2.5l straight six is glorious and as much fun can be had from listening to it across the entire rev range. First gear and the overrun are particularly good friends of mine - the pops, burbles and little bangs you can illicit continue to put a smile on my face in a very childish way.

In terms of the spec, when I looked at the spec sheet, it appeared pretty "poverty spec" and I'd be the first to say it. But a good think about what I was really looking for had rational decision making overrule the childish desire for more toys. Being the Highline Edition, I believe this brought satnav & leather, but otherwise the options ticked were left to just:

- Park Distance Control (Front & Rear);
- Auto-dimming interior mirror;
- Rain Sensing Wipers & Auto Headlights; and,
- Heated Seats.

The standard spec includes dual zone climate control and xenons. I have added the all important Wind Deflector which adds the netting between the headrests and also more inside the rollhoops, which results in a very calm cabin, even at an indicated 80mph. Otherwise the things I've missed out on are things like cruise control (ok, so might've been nice, but given I'm mainly on country roads, it would not be used often enough), storage pack (it's unlikely I'll be doing seriously long trips or touring so existing storage is fine for me, audio upgrade (more to this later), folding and Auto dimming exterior mirrors (this is the option I wish I had, but I made my decision on the basis of the overall package, so this was something I decided was ok to pass on).

First impressions as an owner?

Love it. Pure and simple. :wub: The car illicits a smile every time I drive it or even think about driving it. I keep coming up with excuses to pop to the garage and look at it. The shape of it evokes a real sense of pride, excitement and a bit of awe. It's such a beautiful shape; a bit of a squint and it has E-type proportions and curves. It looks so much more expensive than it is! :lol: I was a bit like a kiddy waiting for Christmas on Sunday night at the thought of driving to LCY Monday morning.

When the morning came, I fired the Zed up in the garage (sounded awesome!), pulled it out and dropped the roof. At 5am and 13degs C it felt a strange mixture of stupid and indulgent! But with the heated seats set to postion 2 and the heating fired up to 24degs, I was nice and toasty warm all the way down the A11, M11 and A406 to LCY. Even a few miles through a heavy rain shower, there was no need for the roof - as long as 70mph was held, the rain was kept out of the cabin and only the smallest of drips made their way over the tops of the windows onto my shoulders.

The run was also a good test of the audio system. Given how sublime the engine note is, there has been relatively little reason to listen to anything else so I had been having second thoughts about the AudioFile upgrade; particularly going the whole hog. But even I had to confess that listening to the engine for over an hour was a little boring so I cranked up the stereo. It's ok. I have to say, I'm actually quite impressed at just how ok it is for the base system and in some ways there's little reason to spend the money. But you really do need to crank it up and it feels and sounds a bit weedy, so maybe some additional amplification and decent cones will do it justice. It's not the imperative I thought it would be, so I've just cancelled my booking with AudioFile until I've spent more time in the car and know what it is I'm looking for - if anything at all. Music might be mor of a thing when winter hits and I spend more time with the roof up, but every journey (so long as ist dry) is roof down! :)

Costs

I had to pay for the Wind Deflector. Scary thing, even at cost price, I was removed of nearly 400quid for supply and fit! But it does make a difference so worth it. Just a shame the original owner didn't think it worthwhile enough to drop 200quid on at the time of ordering.

I have now done well over 200miles. Average fuel consumption is 30.1mpg with the "norm" I reckon settling around 29mpg. Countryside hooning has me around 28mpg, motorway up to around 40mpg and gentle A-road cruising around 33mpg

Considering Beryl (the Polo) did 38mpg, I don't think the fuel penalty is that great for the performance and enjoyment on offer.

I notice that the car is due an Oil Service in 8000miles. Haven't checked on the date stamp for that, but it is doubtful I will hit that in two years, so the date stamp will be important to note and may consider having an Interim done.

So, to do list:

- Aerial upgrade to stubbie - DONE. Thanks to a former owner on BMWLänder for the kind donation of his stubbie, the Zed already has a very nice mod, which really does look good. :cool:
Image[/url]

- Private plate needs to come off Beryl and be transferred to the Zed;
- Elms have ordered a set of velour mats for me, which I am waiting upon, so have hedged my bets with a set from Cotswolds;
- I am trying to source a set of front mudguards which Elms & Cotswolds weren't able to source (out of production, I understand). Ideally would like to find some since it would be nice to get some additional protection on there given we live on farm and down a 1/2 mile private road;
- AudioFile upgrade - to be confirmed;
- I will source some white LEDs to update the corona rings, given the current yellow ones date the front end;
- In due course I would like to do the front wing LCI indicator mod, which adds LED indicators and chrome "swoosh". I need to research the right parts on this and how easy it is to fit. I believe it is an easy task.
- A full detail - it's in great condition but could do with a polish and coat of wax. There are some swirls visible, but not that bad.
- Source some winter wheels.

Other than that, I love my car. :wub:

Truly.

I can't think of a time since owning my S2000 where I enjoyed driving just for the hell of it, quite as much as over the last few days. I'm currently stuck out in Frankfurt but can't wait to get back to LCY tomorrow evening so that I can drive Zed home.

So, to go back to my original "Mission Statement" for the car - a vehicle which brings fun, excitement and smiles to even the most mundane journey? Has the Zed achieved it? Yes, in spades. :driving:

And it's not a bad "Family car" either - my daughter loves it so much that she and I went everywhere together in it at the weekend, whilst Mrs Spuff travelled behind in the X3! :thumbsup:
Image[/url]
Last edited by Spuffington on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 E89 Z4 sDrive23i M Sport Highline Edition - Commute Duties & Kicks

2011 F25 X3 xDrive20d SE - Family Duties

2001 Hymer B640 Starline on Mercedes 416CDI Sprinter Chassis - Family Holiday & Mountainbiking Accomodation

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu May 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Good post and great pics :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Keep the updates coming! Glad you love it :thumbsup:
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

Carl69

Post by Carl69 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:48 am

Really good review glad you are enjoying the new toy :D

3rdPillar

Post by 3rdPillar » Fri May 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Honest review of first week. Keep it up.
Current Car : BMW E89 Z4 S-Drive 35is, Mineral White/Fusion/Nav/TV/Pro HiFi/Heated seats, steering/Cruise/Remote/Comfort etc etc etc ....

Spuffington

Post by Spuffington » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Well, the very honest review of the last three months is that I can't remember a car I've enjoyed owning as much as the Zed. It's ticked all of my boxes in terms of smiles per mile and I've bonded with it enormously. Even my original concern about it not being powerful enough has not come to pass and I struggle to think of a time where I've really thought - ooo, I'm a hundred horsepower down. The engine is so bidable and is very responsive in any gear to shifting the car along at a swift enough pace.

I've managed to get a few of the things done which I had hoped - I've sourced a very lovely, 99% mint set of style 290 17" wheels which are awaiting winter rubber; I've had BMW Elms fit the LCI indicators, which look an absolute treat and I've fitted new carpet mats (Cotswolds BMW) and sourced white LED corona ring upgrades on recommendation of a former owner, which complete the modernised look.

Everything was going so well........

And then about a month ago, we started noticing we had a BIG damp issue in the house. Before we moved in, we had rising damp resolved and had all of the downstairs plasterwork hacked off, replastered and chemical damp proof course injected. We thought that was it. As it turns out, we have penetrating damp upstairs which is being caused by knackered pointing and a plasticised finish on the brickwork. Only way to resolve is >10k worth of building work, so given we don't have that Kind of cash lying around - the Zed has to go. :cry:

I've been putting it off for weeks. We got the quotes in and we've tried to work out every which way of keeping the Zed and getting the work done, but the only way is realising cash from the car. But everytime I get in it to drive to the Station or drive home again in the evening, or get back to LCY after a long trip away, fold the roof and fire up that glorious six cylinder, I can't quite bare letting go. But better to get rid now whilst there's a hint of summer for the new owner to enjoy and for us to get the work done before the worst of the wet weather hits us again in winter. Life's just not fair. :cry:

I've got no idea how I'm going to replace the Zed. I previously had a very good (and solid) 2004 VW Polo but I can't face going back to something like that - a real retrograde step. I'm considering a high mileage Yeti as something a bit quirky and practical (complete opposite to the Zed) or an R56 MINI CooperS. But my heart will always be with the Zed.

An expensive time given I paid 19k (plus wind deflector & bits) only three months ago. But it's been some of the best motoring I can remember. For Sale thread here - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=89230

2001 Hymer B640 Starline on Mercedes 416CDI Sprinter Chassis - Family Holiday & Mountainbiking Accomodation

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:56 pm

That is a proper pi$$er but you don't live in a car so the house has to come first. Best of luck!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Sad times. Why not pick up an old E85 Z4, just as much fun, if not more.

Spuffington

Post by Spuffington » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks chaps.

I haven't entirely excluded the idea of an E85 - always liked them when they first came out and there's one parked in the station carpark next to mine every day and it still looks the business. The only potential fly in the ointment is that the wife was always against the Z4 when I bought it since we're a family of three and she views the car as "pointless" and "impractical" so I'm kinda under pressure when it does go to sort that side of things out. :roll:

All that said, I jumped in the Zed yesterday evening at the carpark, roof down and pootled into Saffron Walden for dinner. Enjoyed admiring glances and the exhaust note rumbling off the walls of the narrow streets and parked up in the Market Square and it was the best feeling ever - constantly looking over my shoulder at the Zed. 8) Then tucked my daughter into her car seat on the passenger seat for the ride home and enjoyed her whooping and giggling. :driving:

I'm now investigating how easy it is to sell one of my kidneys...... :lol:

Who knows. We still haven't got the written quote in from the builder, so may not be as bad as we'd hoped (course it will), but I can but dream. :(

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:43 am

Well now I've got my fingers crossed for you and the impending bill, if the worst comes to the worst have you thought about trading it in for a new one......Okay that may sound retarded, but part ex it in, take half the cash for the house and half for the deposit against a PCP, there's some hefty discounts to be had on the soon to be defunct Z4's, win win as they say
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 am

Can you put it on the mortgage? Ok no-one wants to increase that but it's not crazy money and at 16.5k you'll have lost 2.5k since May selling, plus you've still got to buy another car. You can always increase the mortgage payments slightly to pull it back in line when things are settled.

Anyway best of luck, not a nice thing to have to sort out. :(
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29