Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear brake pad service reset....

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
gmetcalf

Post by gmetcalf » Mon May 02, 2016 11:26 am

Hi All,

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me ..... I've changed all the pads on my E89 LCI 20i, went without a hitch, even the ebrake was simple. I installed new pad sensors and all was fine ( the front routing has changed since the E85 8) ). The service menu is refusing to reset the rear pads. I was just changing to cut down on brake dust. I've rechecked the connection and il looks good, nice click where it engages, but it won't reset to more than 6000 miles ( front is 19,000 I think). I've been for a 5+ mile drive, there are no warnings at startup, ebrake etc are fine, but I want to rest the service trip.

I've been holding down the trip reset, waiting 10's or so, waiting for the service menu to appear ( rear brake is first ) then using the stalk button to select, and pressing and holding to reset with the clock spins..... But it still says 6,000. Rears must last more than 6k right ?

Any ideas ? Will it reset with further driving ?

Thanks

G
2013 Z4 M Sport SDrive20i in Alpine White ( LCI ) with Pure Traction Interior
2006 Z4 Sport in Alpine White with Comfort Pack and Alpina Rims

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu May 05, 2016 9:55 am

I was hoping to get mine done over the weekend. But was told I would run into some issues regarding the e-brake, something to do with connecting the car to a computer to allow the motors on the e-brake to disengage to then allow the piston to wind back in. This sounds a bit odd to me though.

Do you have any tips on doing them?
Mine is showing 3700 miles remaining at the moment but I've got an annoying squeal coming from the brakes as I driving so desperately need to get them done.
2013 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport LCI Alpine White

gmetcalf

Post by gmetcalf » Thu May 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi Leo,

It was remarkably easy in the end. Its just the sensors that have caused me a bit of pain, and i think i've worked out why. I believe they are more intelligent than they used to be and instead of a simple open circuit / short circuit, they now have a variable resistance, depending on how much of the sensor is worn out. As I changed mine before the resistance changed ( due to changing because of brake dust rather than wear ), I think the computer doesnt know they have changed ( same resistance ), and thus wont let me reset the computer ( if it is this the software writer needs to add another use case as that crazy ).

Anyway your question.

1) You can either take it to a dealer ( i like working on my car - so didnt want to do this )
2) By an EBrake tool ( about £90 )
3) Remove the eBrake - This is what i did:
a) With the hadbrake not on, chocked appropriatley, open bonnet and remove top of brake fluid reservoir, then Jack up and Remove wheel
b) Unplug the EBrake wiring connector
c) Use a T30 Torx to remove the two bolts holding on the eBrake to the caliper
d) Gently wiggle and pull out the EBrake towards the car, away from the caliper - its got a rubber oRing ( I assume to stop water ingress )- that just sits in a grove so needs a wiggle.
e) Use a 7mm allen key to wind back the ebrake manually. ITs should be VERY easy to wind do not force it. I think its clockwise, but your notice, one was youll only be able to turn it a couple of turns max, and the other ( the way you want ) will turn alot. Once you hit resistance, stop.
f) Remove the two 13mm bolts holding on the caliper - using 15mm spanners to stop the lock bolt spinning
g) Pull the caliper forward ( I used a G Clamp ) to allow enough piston compression to remove the existing pads.
h) Remove caliper and compress piston all of the way - making sure your brake fluid doesn't overflow ;-)
i) Insert new pads and sensor. ( The sensor is behind the wheel arch lining on your right and weaves around a bit - 2 8mm screws under the sill need removing to get to it )
j) Now reverse procedure - remembering to tighten the ebrake back to roughly where it was e.g. turn until it gets tight, then go back one turn.
k) Once it the wheels back on turn on ignition and test ebrake works as expected.

Hope that helps

Gareth

( FYi - Fronts are the same as the E85 - But the sensor now connects under the bonnet - which is MUCH better than the rear sensor)

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu May 05, 2016 1:48 pm

Although I've bought the pads already I didn't get the sensors, should I do those as well?
2013 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport LCI Alpine White

gmetcalf

Post by gmetcalf » Thu May 05, 2016 8:18 pm

I would, if the ones you have are worn, and sounds like they might be with 3700 miles left, then you will need to replace them. They are also brittle so likely to brake if you try to reuse them. They're cheap enough, Carparts4less have them for about £8 each.