Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dropped on rear brake disk

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
SpecialNick

Post by SpecialNick » Mon May 02, 2016 7:58 am

So I got four new tyres yesterday from tyresonthedrive.com, I used them last year and was very impressed with service quality and price so decided to use them again. I gave him keys and locking wheel nut and left him to it, I looked out of my window 10 minutes later and the pneumatic jack he had used to prop the right side of the car up had deflated - leaving my car held up on the deflated jack on the front...and the rear brake disk at the back. By the time I'd got outside he had inflated the jack and put the wheel back on without so much as checking for damage. I had to tell him to remove the wheel and check. At first he denied it was resting on the floor, but the rust on the ground and bent flange plate suggested otherwise. As far as I could tell there was no other damage, but I'm no expert.
I've complained and I'm getting someone else to come out tomorrow to check the work and check for further damage, is there anything in particular I should look out for? The only obvious damage is a slightly bent flange plate next to the brake disk, but it's not fouling anything and there's no obvious grinding noise or anything when I drove it back onto my drive.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 02, 2016 8:06 am

If it drives ok with no strange noises it sounds as though there's no damage, shame it happened but to deny it makes it worse imho, poor show :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon May 02, 2016 8:09 am

assuming the jack slowly went down rather than a quick collapse then my gut feeling is it should be ok, however getting it checked properly is wise

good job you spotted it other wise you would have none the wiser

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Zedward

SpecialNick

Post by SpecialNick » Mon May 02, 2016 8:25 am

Thanks - I'm just unimpressed with his complete lack of consideration for my car and his dreadful attitude. The worst part is I made him a cup of tea and he drove off with the mug!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 am

SpecialNick wrote:Thanks - I'm just unimpressed with his complete lack of consideration for my car and his dreadful attitude. The worst part is I made him a cup of tea and he drove off with the mug!
What a shame it happened, considering you had good service before. The other angle here though is safety, that company shouldn't be using jacking equipment that has failed, as this could have been a lot worse if it had dropped on someone.
I would make a fuss about it and the fact that he took your mug.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Z4_35i

Post by Z4_35i » Mon May 02, 2016 8:48 am

I think I would drop the company director(s) an email explaining what happened with any supporting photographic evidence you have. Keep everything factual and ask them to make the appropriate adjustment to your invoice for the work.