Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carly(bmwhat) App

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
HewwoE89

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by HewwoE89 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:45 pm

Has anyone used the Carly(Bmwhat) for coding?
I just want to code a few things and this seems to be fairly user friendly.
Any imput is appreciated.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by Swiftly » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:23 pm

I've used it to code a few options, simple and easy to use :D
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

HewwoE89

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by HewwoE89 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:06 am

I was on bimmerfest forum and it seems like there are frm bricking problems. What's the best way to avoid that from happening?

no fit state

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by no fit state » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 am

Used it on my e86 to code a number of things. Easy to do, plug in and read, select options, write, then cycle the ignition. I'd guess the process is exactly the same for the e89.
Z4MC Imola red

Z4_35i

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by Z4_35i » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I've used it on our e89, to check for error codes and to program a few options, no issues.

HewwoE89

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by HewwoE89 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:37 am

Does the app work well with third party adapters or do I have to get the official adapter?

R.E92

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:46 am

HewwoE89 wrote:I was on bimmerfest forum and it seems like there are frm bricking problems. What's the best way to avoid that from happening?
Do all coding with the car running. Keeps the voltage stable and helps prevent corruption. The FRM module is really easy to brick with any coding software, it just seems more common with Carly.

I have used the app in the past but since getting to grips with NCSExpert I'll never use it again. The BMW coding section on E90post has a thread with a pre setup VM for coding which takes all the difficulty out of the setup.

I did have a pirate copy of Carly. Would never pay the full price for it. They really rip you off with the adapters.

R.E92

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:50 am

HewwoE89 wrote:Does the app work well with third party adapters or do I have to get the official adapter?
Works with 3rd party adapters for most things. The iDrive video in motion coding requires the official adapter according to some.

I did the video in motion coding on my car two weeks ago using NCSExpert and IMO it's a complete waste of time unless you regularly take passengers on long journeys.

I used my K+DCAN cable for coding with Carly as it's much faster than the bluetooth dongles. Grab one from cable-shack on ebay. You can use that cable for Carly, MHD and BMW software packages like INPA. It's a must-have for anyone techie!

Z4_35i

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by Z4_35i » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:56 am

HewwoE89 wrote:Does the app work well with third party adapters or do I have to get the official adapter?
I purchased the official adapter. As per the other comments, I keep the engine running during updates and also make sure no bluetooth devices are connected.

SeanConnor

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by SeanConnor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:07 am

The older versions evidently did work with third party adapters BUT THE LATEST SOFTWARE WILL NOT. I got caught this way . I paid for the software as people were saying that it would work with a cheap ( <£10) adapter from Amazon. I ended up having to buy a £50 unit from Carley :-(
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 am

I have purchased the app and adaptor after getting fed up banging my head against the wall with SSS..

For the E85 you must have the wired (USB) cable, £30 from Amazon for the genuine Carly one. I also downloaded the cracked APK for my S7 Edge, but even with the genuine cable it would not work, so stumped up the £40 for the latest version of the app.

Managed to alter the lock/unlock flash and sounds, auto up on passenger window, allow windows when ignition off and door opened and a good few other bits as well. Works well for me, and as I keep the adaptor in the boot, it's always to hand.

Mike

HewwoE89

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by HewwoE89 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll pony up the cash to buy both the app and the official adapter. At least I know it will be cheaper than having the dealer charge me up the wazoo.
I just want to turn on my clown nose, drop top with key fob, fold in mirrors when door locks, that's it.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Not sure what the clown nose is, but the other two options are definitely in there!

Mike

R.E92

Carly(bmwhat) App

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:31 pm

HewwoE89 wrote:Thanks for the input. I'll pony up the cash to buy both the app and the official adapter. At least I know it will be cheaper than having the dealer charge me up the wazoo.
I just want to turn on my clown nose, drop top with key fob, fold in mirrors when door locks, that's it.
Honestly I would just buy a SmartTop.

Does everything you want and you get extras like one-touch roof opening/closing and the onetouch on the all-windows switch which are both great features unavailable by coding.

Also with coded folding mirrors I don't think you get a choice when to fold them or not, it just does it all the time. If you park your car outside in the winter the last thing you want is frozen shut mirrors that crap out when they try and open!