Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New owner and help needed!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MatthewM

Post by MatthewM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi there,

New 21 year old owner of a 2010 DSB 35i in north-east Scotland. :thumbsup: This has replaced my Honda s2000 and I am very happy as it is far more comfortable for everyday driving while still having a sporty feel to it.

I have updated the sat nav with no problems but when I go to update the software (using bmw/update and vin) it suggests downloading update UPD01008. When I put this update on the USB and try it in the slot under the armrest It recognises the usb and the update but gives me the error message "software on the usb device is incompatible with this vehicle."

Is this because its already fully updated? My versions of software are:
MX-002.005.022
TX-002.005.022

Sorry if it's a stupid question, never really had to deal with anything like iDrive before.. :headbang:

Thanks!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:35 am

First off, that's a nice car to have at 21, lucky you.

As to the Idrive only cars that are COMBOX (a change made in late 2010) can update and have you tried the USB slot in the glovebox rather than armrest?

MatthewM

Post by MatthewM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 am

Thank you, I will get some pictures up as soon as it stops snowing! :thumbsdown:

Decoding my VIN it shows that I have the "6VC control combox" and the car was made on 9/9/10?. Not sure if this is late enough in the year for the update?

I updated the maps using the glovebox usb, however when I select software update it doesn't recognise the usb (tried multiple including BMW usb with just the one file on it) unless it's in the armrest usb then I get the error I mentioned previously :(

I was just trying to update it as when I use my iPhone with Spotify, the track information seems to delay updating. I have read that the software update helps resolve that problem?

Thanks I appreciate the help!

David-H

Post by David-H » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am

I had some trouble updating my software from a USB but eventually got it done. I found that it only works from the armrest USB slot and all the 'unpacked' files need to be on the root drive of the flash drive and not in a folder.
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

uluwatu06

Post by uluwatu06 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi MatthewM,

"This has replaced my Honda s2000 and I am very happy as it is far more comfortable for everyday driving while still having a sporty feel to it. "

Care to elaborate?

MatthewM

Post by MatthewM » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks DLH there seems to be quite a lot of people that have had similar problems so probably just need to keep trying! I only have the single .bin file on the usb no folders etc.. so not sure what else to try.

Also some of the reasons of the top of my head why I find it a lot more comfortable for everyday driving:

Heated seats and more comfortable seating position,
DCT more enjoyable to drive in traffic,
Better MPG on daily commute,
Linear power delivery,
Bluetooth phone connectivity / sat nav / iDrive,
Oil usage,
Not having to store a hardtop in the garage ( although I still haven't got rid of it yet :roll: )

These things weren't problems with the s2000 at all and not the reason for the change, I just realised when I made the switch that they are nice things to have when needed.

David-H

Post by David-H » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:48 am

MatthewM wrote:Thanks DLH there seems to be quite a lot of people that have had similar problems so probably just need to keep trying! I only have the single .bin file on the usb no folders etc.. so not sure what else to try.
When I downloaded the file and unpacked it there was only 1 file in the root directory and it was not recognised when I plugged it into the car. However, when I looked more carefully, there were 5 more files within that file, one xml file and 4 bin files. Once I moved those files into the root directory then the update was recognised and installed.
Whilst the single bin file was UPD0188.bin the files that were needed were (in my case):
SWIP_00000B97_003_005_008.xml
SWUP_00000B98_002_002_006.bin
SWUP_00000B98_003_005_008.bin
SWUP_00000B99_001_912_000.bin
SWUP_00000B99_003_005_004.bin
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

MatthewM

Post by MatthewM » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:53 pm

DLH wrote: However, when I looked more carefully, there were 5 more files within that file, one xml file and 4 bin files. Once I moved those files into the root directory then the update was recognised and installed.
What program did you use to mount, and also extract the 5 other files? Still not having any luck :? Thanks!