Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Z4 Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension Package - NOW KW3's

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

E89 Z4 Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension Package

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 pm

No arrived yet - delivery date around the second week of April

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Congrats on the purchase of a great piece of kit!

:thumbsup:

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Update.....

Booked in for Tuesday for both KW been fitted and new downpipes

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:Update.....

Booked in for Tuesday for both KW been fitted and new downpipes
What DPs are you fitting?
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:19 pm

Well I purchased some Wagner Downpipes as the retailer said they would fit - but they did not.

Only option was super-sports that were £700 - or some cheap ones from ebay.

So I decided to purchase an secondary cats from an scrapper and "bash the cat" - Furthermore I have a JB4 to remove any error codes.

I am planning in keeping my original cats - just in case I have an MOT issue - but some one who has done this before with an N20 said it passed doing the same thing as me. With the secondary cats been removed.

If the noise levels get to high - I will revert back to stock - so we will see.

In addition I have spoken to a local BMW dealership regarding modifications and they said.

"If an a fault happens and has no relation to the modifications - or is an known fault - they would replace under warranty - only if the modifications have caused the fault and is not an know issue - it will be void"

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:17 am

Ok - just worth noting the JB4 only hides the error and cats do not show as ready (AFAIK) although you may already know this. If the MOT station do a DME read out for readiness of the cats, it will fail. There is a DP fix you can buy from AR design in the US and put on, it's a small resistor which you plugin to the DME, it marks the cats as ready but makes the car run really rich, so you only want to do that for the MOT.

Friend of mine here fabricates machines for the pharma business - he re-uses his CNC machines to make exhausts... (hobby), and he made his own catless DPs with the lambda hole at an angle facing backward, plus further out - he only gets a CEL every 6 months or so, but he's running an S65 in the M3 which apparently isn't as sensitive as the lambda on the N54. Pretty much impossible to "trick it", according to n54tech forums.

This is why I haven't bothered with the DPs yet - it's too much labour to change twice a year. If you do manage, please let me know how
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:48 pm

KW 3's finially fitted

Defiantly more firm, more planted on the road - difficult to say much as only driven a few miles.

However exhaust seems to pop more and has more of an rasper sound.

Need to get rid of these RFT and get some MPS4's

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:12 pm

Well I thought I would right a review after my recent changes, as I have recently added Kw3’s and gone catless. As these were installed 5 days ago.

Suspension
Well I had two objectives firstly to reduce the height as the gap between the tyre and the wheel arch was just to much for me – and improve its cornering.

Well see picture below – thinking lowering it down a further 1 cm – but waiting for the settling in period.
The ride, well my fear would be it would be very harsh and to be honest it was quite a lot firmer than OEM sport – and was thinking What have I done. As there is not something you can experiment with prior – only reading other people’s feedback and take a subjective viewpoint. And what makes this more complex there are so many variables in settings of suspension makes things even more varied.
I did take the car back to the garage regarding a possible Watergate rattle – but I will get to that point later. Anyway the garage fitter told me that they had set everything to 0 – so they changed it from the default settings. So I was thinking that’s why it felt like a bone shaker and speed bumps were a sure going to hurt my back.

Well this morning took the car down to a local tyre fitter, and wanted to change the settings to the bellow as I found from other users to be a comfortable ride, and great for fast road.

Front rebound – 9 clicks from full hard
Rear rebound - 7 clicks from full hard
Front Compression - 8 clicks from full hard
Rear Compression - 9 clicks from full hard

And to be honest after 100+ drive though Derbyshire B roads, the ride quality is great and handles speed bumps with more refinement than OEM.

And cornering well speed limits were the limitation – body role has totally been eliminated and healing (hard acceleration) has also been removed.

The car handles totally different than that supplied from BMW- and is much more to my liking.

As mentioned I removed my secondary cats, and had a rattle noise for the first two days – well I have installed an latest version of the firmware – and this seems to help reduce the problem as I have not heard the rattle any more since.

Well it defiantly feels stronger and pulls harder than before, to the point I get that sinking feeling under hard acceleration – that I only got from modifying my 3350D and 335i however no were near as intense.

It does really sound like an tractor or an Scooby on an clod start, but an few revs and it sounds normal – and there is an increase of popping which is also good.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:59 am

Sounds good - I'm going a different route as I have EDC with the eibach springs now, and fitting some M3 parts. I thought about a kit like this but I can't justify the cost, especially as the EDC is also an expensive upgrade. Will you be at the Z meet up in August?

Where did you get the DP from ? Can you try the free torque app and tell me what your cat readiness state says? I'm interested to see as that's the reason I didn't get the catless DPs so far

35i-Nut

Post by 35i-Nut » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:Well I thought I would right a review after my recent changes, as I have recently added Kw3’s and gone catless. As these were installed 5 days ago.

Suspension
Well I had two objectives firstly to reduce the height as the gap between the tyre and the wheel arch was just to much for me – and improve its cornering.

Well see picture below – thinking lowering it down a further 1 cm – but waiting for the settling in period.
The ride, well my fear would be it would be very harsh and to be honest it was quite a lot firmer than OEM sport – and was thinking What have I done. As there is not something you can experiment with prior – only reading other people’s feedback and take a subjective viewpoint. And what makes this more complex there are so many variables in settings of suspension makes things even more varied.
I did take the car back to the garage regarding a possible Watergate rattle – but I will get to that point later. Anyway the garage fitter told me that they had set everything to 0 – so they changed it from the default settings. So I was thinking that’s why it felt like a bone shaker and speed bumps were a sure going to hurt my back.

Well this morning took the car down to a local tyre fitter, and wanted to change the settings to the bellow as I found from other users to be a comfortable ride, and great for fast road.

Front rebound – 9 clicks from full hard
Rear rebound - 7 clicks from full hard
Front Compression - 8 clicks from full hard
Rear Compression - 9 clicks from full hard

And to be honest after 100+ drive though Derbyshire B roads, the ride quality is great and handles speed bumps with more refinement than OEM.

And cornering well speed limits were the limitation – body role has totally been eliminated and healing (hard acceleration) has also been removed.

The car handles totally different than that supplied from BMW- and is much more to my liking.

As mentioned I removed my secondary cats, and had a rattle noise for the first two days – well I have installed an latest version of the firmware – and this seems to help reduce the problem as I have not heard the rattle any more since.

Well it defiantly feels stronger and pulls harder than before, to the point I get that sinking feeling under hard acceleration – that I only got from modifying my 3350D and 335i however no were near as intense.

It does really sound like an tractor or an Scooby on an clod start, but an few revs and it sounds normal – and there is an increase of popping which is also good.

Thanks for sharing some really good info here , I'm going down the Eibach and H&R sway bar route , just waiting to fit the springs in next 2 weeks

Interesting to know the body roll is eliminated with your set up , the 35i has far to much roll for a sports car as standard

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Yes I be at Z fest again, so happy to discuss however I dont have an Android - so torque does not seem to support Iphone.

And having the JB4 bypass the OBC connector - so it has to be disabled to allow OBC support.

Regarding springs & sway bars thats the route I would have chosen if I did not track the car. However I do 3-4 track days a year - therefore I have increased flexibility.
Last edited by Twin Turbo on Fri May 27, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:21 am

Well what can I say!

Had an blast against a friends 135M (2016 Model) - and he was shocked on the cars transformation as performance wise the cars were very similar - and possibly mine was better handling though some fast and tight corners.

To be honest - I was expecting him to pass me - but he said he was not holding back and when my went - he could only keep up.

der

Post by der » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Guys, if anyone is interested, I am selling my KW v1.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86504

jedddavies

Post by jedddavies » Fri May 27, 2016 10:39 am

stuartinzg wrote: eibach pro-kit spring
guys,

im looking at upgrading my suspension pref to the eibach pro kit, I have a 3.0 can anyone point me in right direction of the best kit for me?

Ta all

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Fri May 27, 2016 2:20 pm

There are lots of different solution or improvements that can be made in relation to suspection.

The key question is what are you looking to achieve?

And then people can give feedback.