Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insurance help!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Insurance help!

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 pm

esure for me..
£220 fully comp with PNC, courtesy car and legal cover

I'm old too

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 pm

I use eSure last 3 years, always cheap for me and goes down every year!
Last £196 fully comp. (55, max ncd, DY8 post code)
Last edited by flybobbie on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 pm

AlfaScozzesi wrote:LV for me £350 but I am old :cry:

:D
So am I!

When we changed my wifes 3.0 Audi Quattro for a 3.0l 335d last year, our insurers Saga just didn't want to know! They wouldn't touch the BMW - Its only an extra 50 or 60 Bhp :)
We had full NCD, three cars and the house insured with them.
A pal told me to look at LV. I did and they insured the 335 at a reasonable price (about £300 ish) Now they will get first chance to quote for the other cars and the house. :thumbsup:

I hope their price wasn't just a hook! At my age I have to be careful and establish some history with an insurance company (I'm told?)
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:24 pm

ronk wrote:
AlfaScozzesi wrote:LV for me £350 but I am old :cry:

:D
So am I!

When we changed my wifes 3.0 Audi Quattro for a 3.0l 335d last year, our insurers Saga just didn't want to know! They wouldn't touch the BMW - Its only an extra 50 or 60 Bhp :)
We had full NCD, three cars and the house insured with them.
A pal told me to look at LV. I did and they insured the 335 at a reasonable price (about £300 ish) Now they will get first chance to quote for the other cars and the house. :thumbsup:

I hope their price wasn't just a hook! At my age I have to be careful and establish some history with an insurance company (I'm told?)
I go price comparison site every year, still eSure come up cheapest, I suppose they check before I do :)
I never thought my insurance would be cheaper than road tax!
Last edited by flybobbie on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:esure for me..

I'm old too
Only in the last 4 years have I seen any real drop. Normally paid around £500 per year regardless of car. Sold the 2.5si and dropped 20% upgrading to the ///M.

Been going down ever since and now on £204 with mods.

Happy Days. :D

gov

Post by gov » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 pm

thecremeegg wrote:
I thought I'd give Chriss Knott a call as they seem to be recommended on here but they won't insure me as I don't have sufficient experience with RWD and a larger engine.....apparently I have to "get experience" and come back to them.....great.
First I've heard of being asked such questions - sounds like a load of b.....ks :cry:

Each time our car or house insurance comes up for renewal I go to Comparethemarket website and every time I find a cheaper quote than the renewal including the same Company I'm already with - same thing this year - currently with Privilege - renewal for my 2004 3.0SE 7 yrs NCB is £189 - compare website shows Privilege with exactly the same cover £155 - ring them up and they agree and reduce it to website figure .

It's cheap because like others I'm an old fart and live in a low risk area.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:11 pm

I always think that they don't look after low risk / old fart / loyal customers - Every year it seems we have to hawk our business around to find a deal.
I think they've missed a trick somehow.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 pm

srhutch wrote:
Z4M-2006 wrote:esure for me..

I'm old too
Only in the last 4 years have I seen any real drop. Normally paid around £500 per year regardless of car. Sold the 2.5si and dropped 20% upgrading to the ///M.

Been going down ever since and now on £204 with mods.

Happy Days. :D

Think the dearest thing i insured in last 10 years was my 911 C4s...... £380...

I did pay £770 to insure my Rs2000 when i was 20 though,and that was a long time ago..

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:01 am

synthedup wrote:Id try Green light, Adrian Flux and SKY insurance, all good companies to deal with and very very good prices
Greenlight don't insure BMWs full stop. Due to statistics and that's their words, not mines. It's in their literature. I only noticed that when JE was looking for a recommended insurer for mods as thats who the skyline is with on an agreed value policy.

In this instance I would ideally get a year under your belt with a bog standard insurer and then look at making mods and moving insurance providers. Depending on what 'mods' you are planning you may find a bog standard company don't charge you an arm and a leg but you won't know unless you ask or even do a quote based on what 'mods' you plan to get as an idea.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:16 am

gov wrote:
thecremeegg wrote:
I thought I'd give Chriss Knott a call as they seem to be recommended on here but they won't insure me as I don't have sufficient experience with RWD and a larger engine.....apparently I have to "get experience" and come back to them.....great.
First I've heard of being asked such questions - sounds like a load of b.....ks :cry:
Possibly showing your age there as experience was the first thing most insurance company asked me at 23 insuring a brand new Civic Type R (FN2), I could prove I had said experience due to driving a modded cooper s from 17, track days, racing license and being a driver on a couple of rather powerful BMs. As more and more younger people are managing to get their hands on more powerful vehicles thanks to cheap finance its a common question. For all they know you've built up 5 years NCD on a smart for two and then are about to get into something a bit more powerful than you've been used to. I didn't have an issue when moving from the civic to a 135i and then to the Z4 but I've been with the same insurer all that time.

Mikes mate (34) who has just traded his 996 Turbo for a Gallardo three weeks ago was asked by the insurance company he is insured with what experience he had with performance cars, even though his NCD came from his 996 and it's still the same company! If I'm not mistaken I'm sure it's Chris Knotts he is with.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:20 am

Angie4m wrote:
synthedup wrote:Id try Green light, Adrian Flux and SKY insurance, all good companies to deal with and very very good prices
Greenlight don't insure BMWs full stop. Due to statistics and that's their words, not mines. It's in their literature. I only noticed that when JE was looking for a recommended insurer for mods as thats who the skyline is with on an agreed value policy.

In this instance I would ideally get a year under your belt with a bog standard insurer and then look at making mods and moving insurance providers. Depending on what 'mods' you are planning you may find a bog standard company don't charge you an arm and a leg but you won't know unless you ask or even do a quote based on what 'mods' you plan to get as an idea.

Green Light do insure BMWs, I was with then 3 years ago, I then went to Sky, and then Adrian flux as Green light did say in 2014 they would not insure the car. However that said I spoke to Neil on the 27th of January 2016 who offered me a fully comp quote of £395. on my BMW Z4

Hate it when people say Full stop :thumbsdown: :!:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:36 am

synthedup wrote:
Angie4m wrote:

Green Light do insure BMWs, I was with then 3 years ago, I then went to Sky, and then Adrian flux as Green light did say in 2014 they would not insure the car. However that said I spoke to Neil on the 27th of January 2016 who offered me a fully comp quote of £395. on my BMW Z4

Well this is directly from their site and someone on here recently spent a good bit of time on the phone to them to be told sorry we don't cover BMWs and my other half asked about insuring a M3 with them only 2 weeks ago as an already exsist for customer of 3 years to be told the same.

Excluded vehicles

All BMW models are excluded due to claims statistics

There may be certain vehicles that require a minimum level of driving experience or that due to our Insurers claims experience we are unable to cover, in this situation we will endeavour to direct you to someone who may be able to help you

http://www.greenlightinsurance.co.uk/st ... insurance/

I stand to be corrected but it's in black and white and until this is removed from their site and litature there is no argument on their stance. FULL STOP! Why would anyone who has never been insurered with them even give them a look when they state they don't provide cover.

Plus for this thread the OP has already been advised he would need experience from another company and Greenlight maybe the same given that text from their site above.

Recent topic on this site viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83323&p=1233788&hil ... t#p1233788

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 am

Angie4m wrote:
synthedup wrote:
Angie4m wrote:

Well this is directly from their site and someone on here recently spent a good bit of time on the phone to them to be told sorry we don't cover BMWs and my other half asked about insuring a M3 with them only 2 weeks ago as an already exsist for customer of 3 years to be told the same.

Excluded vehicles

All BMW models are excluded due to claims statistics

There may be certain vehicles that require a minimum level of driving experience or that due to our Insurers claims experience we are unable to cover, in this situation we will endeavour to direct you to someone who may be able to help you

http://www.greenlightinsurance.co.uk/st ... insurance/

I stand to be corrected but it's in black and white and until this is removed from their site and litature there is no argument on their stance. FULL STOP! Why would anyone who has never been insurered with them even give them a look when they state they don't provide cover.

Plus for this thread the OP has already been advised he would need experience from another company and Greenlight maybe the same given that text from their site above.

Recent topic on this site viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83323&p=1233788&hil ... t#p1233788

You're boring me.

gov

Post by gov » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:26 am

synthedup wrote:
Angie4m wrote:[quote="synth

You're boring me.

:rofl:

I should be grateful they didn't ask me about my experience with fast cars - over recent years I've owned a Fiesta , Ka and a Campervan :D

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:16 pm

thecremeegg wrote:
I had this with Chris Knott too - seems a largely pointless forum sponsorship, they cant ever actually quote - and now that they can they're not competitive at all.

I'm with Sky Insurance, mainly because i forced them to match Admiral, and then forced them to beat their previous year's quote :)

IF you're London based, Admiral group is usually your only option.

Also worth mentioning to be aware of the comparison sites, they're mostly owned by insurers themselves nowadays. Saying that, i found moneysupermarket beat confused/comparethemeertwat most of the time.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK