Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto or manual

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Auto or manual

Post by GuidoK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Perhaps we have a different view on quickly.
One should think there would be a reason why automatics arent used in racecars.
I mean even F1 has an oldfashiond shifterdrum system (so manual sequential) like has been used for decades on motorcycles.
Just like rallycars.
No slushboxes there I can tell you.
Last edited by GuidoK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:57 pm

GuidoK wrote:Perhaps we have a different view on quickly.
Perhaps we do.

None of my old manual cars have needed to go down to 3rd from 6th in order to overtake.

Mainly because if I did that the engine would explode - 3rd isn't good when coming down from cruising at 90 in 6th :D

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Well we definately have a different view on overtaking.
I'm probably the one closing really fast in your rear view mirror....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:00 pm

GuidoK wrote:Well we definately have a different view on overtaking.
I'm probably the one closing really fast in your rear view mirror....
Doubt it ;)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:01 pm

Then why do you say your engine will explode when shifting back to 3rd?
At? 90mph?
My 3rd goes to 96.
That's something you'd know if your closing really fast in rear view mirrors of people who think they go fast :lol: :rofl: :poke:
Last edited by GuidoK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:02 pm

:driving:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:25 am

It would seem to me that the entire army is marching out of step except one man !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:57 am

:rofl:
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:00 am

ronk wrote:It would seem to me that the entire army is marching out of step except one man !
Too bad none of you want to discuss all the technical workings and mechanics of an automatic for which I gave so many hints. :thumbsdown:
I guess that takes another level of understanding :roll:

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:02 am

I think we should have a project marmite typecollection to see Guido change down to 3Rd from 90 in 6th in order to accelerate..

I'd love to see what happens :).

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:31 am

GuidoK wrote:
ronk wrote:It would seem to me that the entire army is marching out of step except one man !
Too bad none of you want to discuss all the technical workings and mechanics of an automatic for which I gave so many hints. :thumbsdown:
lets be honest here, there is plenty of discussion but it seems your version of a discussion is telling everyone that they're wrong "I guess that takes another level of understanding" says it all really doesn't it... nobody else's opinion counts and you know better than everyone else.
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

techathy

Post by techathy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:02 am

GuidoK wrote:
Yes at an intellectual level the differences between the various types of gearboxes are interesting but in the real world you get the choice of a gearbox with a clutch pedal or one without a clutch pedal. You see, most people don't give two hoots about how the gearboxes work. So you don't see 8sp auto, 7sp DCT or 6sp manual options, you'd get very confused customers wondering why you have low & high spec auto options. At driving level what I care about is that...
- The DCT transmission in the Z4 35iS changes gear in a fast & crisp manner but sometimes causes harsh changes.
- The automatic in the M135 is always smooth and never makes harsh changes but can get a little soggy under certain circumstances.
- The manual in my 120dx was slightly notchy but very positive & a nightmare to change smoothly under constant speed or moderate to gentle acceleration.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:39 am

GuidoK wrote:
So now you think that those who don't agree with you don't have the same level of "understanding" as you!

Maybe it's only another opinion that you don't understand! :D
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:14 pm

The DCT gives you a number of options to change down a number of gears e.g. when going for a 'crisp' overtake:

1. Kick down. But if the box needs to select a couple of gears lower there is a definite perceivable delay whilst it sorts itself out before 'engaging'.

2. Manually flick the paddles. This is OK but if you change down and delay hitting the 'loud pedal' whilst you look for the correct opportunity to execute the overtake it can have reverted from 'manual' back to 'auto' and have changed back up a couple of gears. If you wait for the overtake opportunity before flicking the paddles then there can be a discernible delay - not very much but it is noticeable.

3. Use the 'stick' to put it in manual - you then have control over gear selection as you wish.

4. Use the 'stick' to go to 'sport' mode. Box changes down to select a low enough gear and holds it. Then when you want the overtake hit the 'loud pedal' and it will change down if necessary but usually only one gear and away you go with minimal delay.

It's all about learning to drive a DCT. My most often used option is No 4. On approaching a slower vehicle i just put the box in 'sport' preparing for the overtake and then nail the manoeuvre when the opportunity becomes available. Afterwards the box can be put back into normal 'auto' mode to continue the 'cruise'.
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:39 pm

I enjoy driving a manual, but the biggest difference for me now, which hasn't really been mentioned, is the ridiculously long gearing on manual cars. At least with the auto boxes, and the 8 speeder in particular, the first four ratios are pretty close and short.

One of my favourite little cars is the Fiesta 1.0 turbo, but the gearing is hopeless, third goes over 100 mph.

Part of the enjoyment of driving is taking the car to the redline, but I would prefer to have more than just 1st and 2nd available to do it without going at stupid speeds.