Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The z5 and future value predictions

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

The z5 and future value predictions

Post by stuartinzg » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:32 am

I originally thought the z4 was BMW's last hurrah, which I suppose it is in a way, since the new car is a mashup with Toyota. Now with the z5 coming what are peoples thoughts about residuals and long term car prospects?

Will the n54 powered Z become the one to have, seeing as tuners in America are pushing the boundaries? We might not tune our cars to kingdom come but the potential in the cars increases their demand as the years go by.

The Supra has a similar history, able to cope with a lot of power, tuners became obsessed. This resulted now in original cars with 6MT being worth a fortune.

Personally I'm keeping mine for a long time as I think it's an interesting project base, parts are readily available and the car is pleasant to work on with a large engine bay and common parts. The residuals are not important so much as a nice to have to get some return in a few years.

If the new Z fails to impress (I doubt) then older cars become more sought after, if its an absolute killer then they make ours less relevant.

The soft top is back, the toyota version of the car will be the Supra. It's an interesting paradox for me because I always saw the n54 as the modern 2JZE, and now the new Z is a Supra!

Whatever next ....
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Re: The z5 and future value predictions

Post by sars » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:52 am

being an impartial non owner, I think the one to have and keep as an investment is the Z4MR. Don't get me wrong the e89 is a fine car and the 35i/35iS the pinnacle thereof but it doesn't have that Je ne sais quoi of the M, and it's that is what makes a classic valuable.

As for you Z4MC owners, historically convertibles tend to appreciate more as classics over the fixed roof siblings but there are always exceptions to the rule, though I would hedge my bet with the one with the R on the end on top eventually
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:25 am

Technically, because of low numbers, if you don't drive or mod a 35is is will eventually appreciate.

but what's the point then? Just like an m car, it will be 20+ years before the real big increases in value kick in. 20 years of storage and maintenence! :( :( :(

if you want an investment buy property. Use your car for fun, wear it out, then replace with something more fun :D
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 am

sars wrote:being an impartial non owner, I think the one to have and keep as an investment is the Z4MR. Don't get me wrong the e89 is a fine car and the 35i/35iS the pinnacle thereof but it doesn't have that Je ne sais quoi of the M, and it's that is what makes a classic valuable.

As for you Z4MC owners, historically convertibles tend to appreciate more as classics over the fixed roof siblings but there are always exceptions to the rule, though I would hedge my bet with the one with the R on the end on top eventually
agreed :thumbsup:
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:14 pm

ZermattV wrote:
sars wrote:being an impartial non owner, I think the one to have and keep as an investment is the Z4MR. Don't get me wrong the e89 is a fine car and the 35i/35iS the pinnacle thereof but it doesn't have that Je ne sais quoi of the M, and it's that is what makes a classic valuable.

sars as much as i love you, you're wrong :poke: :rofl: the M coupe is the 1 to make the money

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:33 pm

if you want an investment buy property. Use your car for fun, wear it out, then replace with something more fun :D[/quote]

This is my train of thoughts regarding vehicles....... can't see the point of having them and not being able to use them when you please and as intended..........far easier to invest in inanimate objects if that's your thing.
Real easy for me as I don't have enough spare income to worry about investment

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 pm

Taz wrote:
ZermattV wrote:

sars as much as i love you, you're wrong :poke: :rofl: the M coupe is the 1 to make the money
yes of course you are right as they didn't make a convertible 1M but we are talking zeds :D

.....ps love you too honey x
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:48 pm

As with every other BMW it'll smash the residuals of the e89...they'll throw silly contributions at it making it easy enough to get into a new one for £350 a month. Personally, because of the softer nature of the car (compared to the boxster) I can only see these being under £10k within a short period of time, and whilst the 35 is a lovely car it falls in that 'middle' of the market that tends to be forgotten.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Personally I'm hoping to keep my Z4 until I die. It's all paid up, I love it despite its faults and if ever I feel down, just sitting in it, never mind leaving most cars for dust, always cheers me up.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Keep any car in good fettle and it will appreciate over the years.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

wooly

Post by wooly » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:14 pm

new to z4 ownership(had mine for one month), I have a low mileage 93 supra had it twelve years so far and love it, when the weather is nice I love to drive it, I hope the z4 puts the same smile on my face. I have been keeping an eye on supra prices on they are very much on the increase.

bsantini

Post by bsantini » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:33 pm

If prices for the Z5 are up as high as forecasted, then I think the opposite will happen: Z4 residuals will rise incrementally while Z5 values driven out the door will plotz, especially with a Toyoda version available at less money.