Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

oh my!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Zed Five

oh my!

Post by Zed Five » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Just noticed that Birds do a 400bhp conversion for the 35is, £1090..

... that does not invalidate the bmw warranty. :D

Would this be drivable without the lsd conversion too? :|

edit , no they dont. Its £5k
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Jasey

Re: oh my!

Post by Jasey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:43 pm

The last thing the 35iS needs is more power it can't put down :D

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:00 pm

I think they offer their own warranty as BMW don't support modification against their warranty do they?

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:27 pm

"All Birds conversions are guaranteed for up to 3 years and do not affect the manufacturers warranty on your car."

Apparently

. Quite interested.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Jasey wrote:The last thing the 35iS needs is more power it can't put down :D
^^^ This. The 35is struggles without a LSD as it is - definitely needs one before any more oomph is applied.
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Garvin wrote:
^^^ This. The 35is struggles without a LSD as it is - definitely needs one before any more oomph is applied.
I don't find it does ... though too much more would be an issue.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Garvin wrote:
OE tyres? Running on the OEs mine had much more power than grip. On Uniroyal Rainsport 3 265/35R18 it feels like it can hand a fair bit more.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:07 pm

You really need to know what and where there is an increase in torque, if there is a big increase in low end torque then this will cause you traction problems, however if the increase occurs at higher RPM then traction shouldn't be that different.

Power is a function of torque and RPM, Power enables the car to travel faster, torque is a force at a radial distance resulting in acceleration.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:56 am

One for Maniac :P

Tim.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Yes mine is getting the LSD before any more power... total beast on full chat already even with super sticky MPSS ...

Wheel spin and almost going sideways at 80+ mph changing from 3rd to 4th in the damp is not a fun experience :rofl:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

techathy

Post by techathy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Problem is the Z4 has quite a lot of static neg camber at the rear. This reduces pressure on the outside shoulder of the tyre & puts more weight on the inside shoulder when the car is trailing in a straight line. On the MPSS this means when not turning the car is not pressing the sticky rubber into the road. I know on the GT86/BRZ people running high neg camber were finding they could accelerate harder round a gentle corner than dead straight with MPSS tyres.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 pm

TitanTim wrote:One for Maniac :P

Tim.
To do this I need a working car in the first place. Currently I have a very large paperweight.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:58 pm

techathy wrote:Problem is the Z4 has quite a lot of static neg camber at the rear. This reduces pressure on the outside shoulder of the tyre & puts more weight on the inside shoulder when the car is trailing in a straight line. On the MPSS this means when not turning the car is not pressing the sticky rubber into the road. I know on the GT86/BRZ people running high neg camber were finding they could accelerate harder round a gentle corner than dead straight with MPSS tyres.
Very interesting, thanks.

I had planned to reduce the camber, I was looking at some rear camber adjustment arms from germany - looked very high quality. Coupled with the H&R springs and LSD I think it shouldn't compromise then handling?

What are other people's views?
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:19 pm

techathy wrote:Problem is the Z4 has quite a lot of static neg camber at the rear. This reduces pressure on the outside shoulder of the tyre & puts more weight on the inside shoulder when the car is trailing in a straight line. On the MPSS this means when not turning the car is not pressing the sticky rubber into the road. I know on the GT86/BRZ people running high neg camber were finding they could accelerate harder round a gentle corner than dead straight with MPSS tyres.
Presumably to aid corner handling if this is correct but if there was a lot of neg camber car would wear the inside shoulder quite quickly and unevenly surely?

Not arguing with you but I'm struggling to think this is right as I've not heard of stories of the E89 wearing the inside shoulder prematurely.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:41 pm

john-e89 wrote:
Presumably to aid corner handling if this is correct but if there was a lot of neg camber car would wear the inside shoulder quite quickly and unevenly surely?

Not arguing with you but I'm struggling to think this is right as I've not heard of stories of the E89 wearing the inside shoulder prematurely.
Actually lots of discussion online about it... and my run flats had a lot more wear on the inside than outside (at least 2-3 mm difference)

Reducing the rear and front camber so the rear is 1c less can make a huge difference.

What's not really clear is why the BMW spec allows such a huge variation (from -1.9c to -2.8c) and why we can't get it down to -1.0 with OEM adjustments, but the Z4 does have after market camber arms which allow you to get down to -1.0.

There are various threads floating around which state it causes more oversteer, and this is one of the reasons they added neg. camber - it isn't really helping us on the street...

I'm no suspension expert so I'm only going by what people have written and detailed who have first hand experience.

Cheers,