Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i or 35is?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Zed Five

Re: 35i or 35is?

Post by Zed Five » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:13 pm

Japseroony wrote:Thanks for the input guys and taking everything you guys are saying into account.

The only downside with the DCT is the lack of ability to hold it in a gear when driving around a corner and flooring the "loud pedal" as it has the tendency to change down, where as the manual you can get into gear and floor it and the car will pull without changing down - different style of driving I guess.

I know you can down change the DCT and get into gear prior to the corner etc but depending on the speed/revs the gearbox can if the revs are not too high change down if you push that pedal down to far - this is all controllable I guess once you get used to the gearbox and car. I have tried this on the DCT in every mode so know it happens and I guess I need to work out if I can live with it :?
If you push the lever to the left and put it in sport plus you can do this.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Japseroony

Post by Japseroony » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Regardless of what mode you put the DCT box in the car will change down if you put your foot to the floor unless the gear down would result in it over revving.

Depending on where in the rev range you are it could result in a double gear down change.

It's only the newer DCT box that allows you full manual control :thumbsup:
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the front of the car,
OVERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car,
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the fence,
TORQUE is how far you take the fence with you.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:34 pm

New the big difference in residuals would probably steer me into the 35is even though I do prefer manuals.
Used i would opt for an 35i and use the extra for a remap, exhaust and suspension mods, all the go of a 35is with better ride/handling and the driver involvement of manual.

I have never understood why BMW didn't offer the 35is as a manual as well! Its not like the engine hasn't been mated to manual transmissions in other BMW models
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:39 pm

Japseroony wrote:Regardless of what mode you put the DCT box in the car will change down if you put your foot to the floor unless the gear down would result in it over revving.

Depending on where in the rev range you are it could result in a double gear down change.

Foot flat to the floor in DTC manual does NOT drop my 35iS to the lowest possible gear. I have to press the down paddle in with my foot beyond the kick down point for that.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

Japseroony

Post by Japseroony » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:39 pm

You can for an extra £900 get the adaptive suspension in the 35i with the manual box so only lose out on the 34ish BHP I guess - maybe that's the answer :wink:

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:45 pm

techathy wrote:
Japseroony wrote:Regardless of what mode you put the DCT box in the car will change down if you put your foot to the floor unless the gear down would result in it over revving.

Foot flat to the floor in DTC manual does NOT drop my 35iS to the lowest possible gear. I have to press the down paddle in with my foot beyond the kick down point for that.
Nor mine. Must be come with the VO spec!!
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

Japseroony

Post by Japseroony » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:45 pm

techathy wrote:Foot flat to the floor in DTC manual does NOT drop my 35iS to the lowest possible gear. I have to press the down paddle in with my foot beyond the kick down point for that.
Sorry but I think you are wrong on the Z4.

Next time you are in it put it into Drive and then push the lever to the left. Set off and change into 3rd at about 30 mph and then put your foot down hard to the floor and she will kick down into 2nd or possibly 1st or try 4th and do the same thing.

If half way round a long bend and you intend on powering out of the corner you need to feather the throttle in the 35is or it may down change upsetting the rear end.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Ok. Mines only a few months old, i assumed all did this.

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Japseroony wrote:
techathy wrote:Foot flat to the floor in DTC manual does NOT drop my 35iS to the lowest possible gear. I have to press the down paddle in with my foot beyond the kick down point for that.
I regularly accelerate down the slip road in 7th gear from about 40mph, foot pinned. At the correct point I tap the left paddle which immediately dumps me into the lowest possible gear. So don't tell me I'm wrong because this is how I drive my car.
Last edited by techathy on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Zed Five wrote:Ok. Mines only a few months old, i assumed all did this.
Mine is 9 months old.
Last edited by techathy on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:56 pm

Japseroony wrote:

Next time you are in it put it into Drive and then push the lever to the left. Set off and change into 3rd at about 30 mph and then put your foot down hard to the floor and she will kick down into 2nd or possibly 1st or try 4th and do the same thing.

If half way round a long bend and you intend on powering out of the corner you need to feather the throttle in the 35is or it may down change upsetting the rear end.
sport plus
stick to the left
manual mode?

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm using comfort & DTC manual mode.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:03 pm

I should probably shut up, but if mine in manual and stick left it does what i want, its basically manual. It i dont change up itll rev like mad, likewise i can change down 1,2,3 gears if i wish. I cant say its ever left lacking.

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:10 pm

I agree. It has to be with the gear lever over to the left & in manual mode. If I'm in over-ride mode (stick in the normal D position) and click through into kick down then it drops to the lowest possible gear.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Zed Five wrote:I should probably shut up, but if mine in manual and stick left it does what i want, its basically manual. It i dont change up itll rev like mad, likewise i can change down 1,2,3 gears if i wish. I cant say its ever left lacking.
Yeah that proper manual mode. If you use 'manual' via the paddles without shifting the selector to the left then it will basically behave like an auto and revert back to auto mode and have kick down. If you want a bit more power like a kick down when in proper manual mode you've got to shift it down. The only auto thing it will do in manual is rev up to the read line and then change up. It will not allow you to over rev the engine or keep it at the line whilst in motion. Likewise it will shift it down if the revs drop too low. So you can use it like a manual but still protect the engine.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring