Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nankang NS-2

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tommyboy

Nankang NS-2

Post by tommyboy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:51 pm

My wife's Z4 is a bit of a handful to drive at the moment. We live in the country where the roads are in an atrocious condition with lots of overbanding etc, she also regularly commutes on the A14 which is heavily rutted with the constant artic lorry traffic. I think some non-runflats would seriously improve the handling of the car, it certainly did on our old Z4 where it really improved the ride, were much quieter and dramatically reduced the tramlining.
i have been looking around at online tyre prices and we can get a full set of nankang NS-2's for a fraction over £300. Does anyone have any experience of these on their Z? I know some people will frown and ask why i am not looking at unicorn skin inflated with the tears of mermaids but the car is not used for track days or driven anywhere near its limits on the public road so i am not sure expensive performance tyres are required.
Thanks for reading,
Tom

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Nankang NS-2

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:18 am

Just because you don't want high performance tyres it's no reason to fit ditch finders. Can't see why you want your wife to drive on cheap tyres. They grip less as in can't brake so well, wear faster and make a lot more noise. Economics and safety just don't stand up.

Go for some Falkens, vredsteins or Goodyear F1's for good value well liked tyres.
Lots of reviews on here.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:58 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Just because you don't want high performance tyres it's no reason to fit ditch finders. Can't see why you want your wife to drive on cheap tyres. They grip less as in can't brake so well, wear faster and make a lot more noise. Economics and safety just don't stand up.

Go for some Falkens, vredsteins or Goodyear F1's for good value well liked tyres.
Lots of reviews on here.
X2....Review for Nankang are not very positive on this side of the pond. Good grip especially when wet for stopping is something I value over just about everything else including price.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:03 am

On a performance car I always go for Vreds. For the money I find them hard to beat.
ImageImage

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 am

Michelin pilot sport 3s are excellent, as are good years Eagle f1 Assymetric 2s if you're looking for a more performance oriented everyday tyre. Failing that within reason anything from Goodyear or Michelin or Vredstein as already said will do you well - even if it's not a performance oriented tyre the construction, compound and tread pattern all play an extremely important role in displacing water and giving the driver as much grip as possible.

I have had nankang NS-2s on an old 306 back when I was a student - they were fairly good as a summer tyre actually but they were truly woeful in the wet. I'd not look at them again - there are better summer tyres for the money and the likes of the Goodyear Eagle f1 Assymetric 2s I'm running now although slightly more expensive just outperform them in all weathers.

End of the day you really do get what you pay for with tyres I'm afraid...
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:45 am

You're right to be thinking of switching from runflats, I originally fitted Falkens which I really rate for the money and completely cured tramlining but wear slightly quicker than some others. I now have Goodyear Eagle F1A2's which offer marginally better wet performance and should last slightly longer but are slightly less comfortable. I'de shop around for any of the recommendations from members so far there are deals out there.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Spikey

Post by Spikey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:53 am

TBH the OP is obviously not looking at premium tyres in this case but a balance between cost and acceptable performance

Try Rainsport 3s - you can get these at very good price and performance is very good

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:02 am

I'm with the other on this, I've run budget Autogrip tyres on my DD for a couple of years, even though I drive like Miss Daisy these days I've still had a couple of hairy moments in the wet with the Autogrips, changing to Falken's is like night & day in terms of wet grip & also road noise is reduced, I can't comment on wear rates as yet.

An old cliché I know but your tyres are the only thing connecting you to the road & whilst your wife is undoubtedly a very safe driver there are plenty of other idiots that may put her safety into jeopardy, is your wife's safety worth saving less than a couple of hundred quid on decent tyres.

Also a +1 on the Vredestein range of tyres, a forum favourite for a mid price tyre.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 am

Here's an independent review showing how woeful the nankang ns2's are and echoing all the comments made above. Second worst tyre tested with vredstein and f1's coming out way better.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:49 am

It never ceases to surprise me when people try to skimp on the very thing that makes the car work safely. They're cheap for a reason and cutting corners, perhaps quite literally, could result in damaging a very expensive car or loss of life.

What is more important?

z4peter

Post by z4peter » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Another vote here for vredesteins, I've had them on a few cars and are an unbeatable balance of performance and value.
2012 Z4 3.0 msport Highline.

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:16 pm

i had the NS2's on the rear of my Z for 2 years and although not amazing grip in the wet i never felt unsafe and believe me i had many hours of spirited driving in the Yorkshire dales and often pushed the car to the limit. i doubt the OP's wife is going to be trying to go sideways round corners. if you want a decent tyre without spending a fortune and you dont intend on pushing the rear tyres to the absolute max then i would recommend them

andya1

Post by andya1 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:18 pm

Tom don't buy cheap tyres as Maniac says they are cheap for a reason if you shop around you will find some great deals on quality tyres online I wouldn't dream of putting cheap tyres on my Zed and when it comes to replacing mine I will go with some Michelin Pilot Sports for sure.

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Just look at the reviews online:

typical run flat:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Conti ... n-flat.htm

Nankang NS2:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/NS2.htm

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... -3-PS3.htm

To me it looks like changing tires to something cheap doesn't make sense.

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:53 pm

I've had Nankang Road tyres in my younger days. I'd avoid!
Z4less :?