Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nankang NS-2

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
domsz4

Re: Nankang NS-2

Post by domsz4 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:59 pm

It's interesting how different rubber suits different cars. the ns2 are getting popular and good reviews in the kit car world
Proud Whip owner ;)

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:29 pm

domsz4 wrote:It's interesting how different rubber suits different cars. the ns2 are getting popular and good reviews in the kit car world
I think with tyre suggestions you have to look beyond some opinions. Many will justify a tyre on the basis that they bought it and therefore it must be good. I have been lucky enough with my sports cars and company cars to try a large number of different makes and see how they perform. I do tend to give my cars a bit of a thrashing over short bursts and like to push them during different conditions.

I have thought that certain tyres were good until I replaced them with a different make and judged them over the full life of the tyre. I am surprised with Falkens as I ran a full set on my Supra and the rears didn't last long. Paired the semi worn fronts (5mm tread left) with a new pair of Vreds on the rear and ran those tyres all the way to bald over a couple of years. Even when the Vreds were at the end of their life, the rear grip in the wet was so good compared to the Falkens on the front, it made the car under steer with 400Hp at the back... :o

H.
ImageImage

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 pm

domsz4 wrote:It's interesting how different rubber suits different cars. the ns2 are getting popular and good reviews in the kit car world
Exactly. Its got to have something to do with a cars weight along with a lot of other things.
I have Avon ZZ5s on the front of the Mini and although they get good reviews.... on the Mini they are awful.
They probably would suit a heavier car as they dont inspire confidence in damp weather and spin a bit too easily.
They replaced ZZ3s that were great and I still have these on the rear.
I really should swap them onto the front to see what differences there are
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:52 pm

I agree with what others have said. Why go for the cheap option when there are so many tried and tested forum favourites like Vreds, Falkens, Michelins etc that are known to perform well on the Z4.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:23 pm

I guess it also depends on what your after and the compound. The comparison on a westfield is to Toyo r1r in a medium soft compound. I wouldn't expect them to last a huge amount of time on a heavy car like the z. Likewise vreds/falken are s**t on the light car. Weirdly a few like the khumo.
Proud Whip owner ;)

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:04 pm

I put Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 tyres on my Z4 and they are fine but definitely not as good as the Bridgestone Potenzas.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:49 pm

I try and remember the rule "Buy cheap and buy twice"
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: