Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Getting the old girl remapped... I should have learned my lesson by now...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Getting the old girl remapped... I should have learned my lesson by now...

Post by Taz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:28 pm

Maniac wrote:The car is home. Sigh of relief.

:thumbsup: :)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:30 pm

jamesbond wrote:Hello

That is great news .. just out of interest did they save the original ECU ? and was it a main dealer where you took your car ?

regards
Yes BMW main dealer had the kit to resurrect the original ECU.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:48 pm

Maniac wrote:
jamesbond wrote:Hello

That is great news .. just out of interest did they save the original ECU ? and was it a main dealer where you took your car ?

regards
Yes BMW main dealer had the kit to resurrect the original ECU.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Great news that it's sorted :thumbsup:

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Great news for you, get those new shocks for the summer and enjoy :driving:

philip27

Post by philip27 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Good news glad it got fixed and that the guy helped resolve the issue.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:28 pm

Good news - glad it all worked out in the end :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:47 pm

ronk wrote:Remapping does worry me - the standard map is good for all scenarios but the tuned map?

I use my cars at sea level and in the mountains in Europe , would a remap cope in both situations ?
Remaps, like standard maps have all sorts of correction values programmed in for differences in air pressure, air temp and water temp to name but a few. These are usually fairly standard settings across all different types of vehicles etc. Usually remapping involves playing with the settings for ignition timing, fueling and boost etc and leaving most of the corrections as per the standard setting.

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff but have fitted a good few throttle body kits and aftermarket ECU's to run them. These ECU's give you unrestricted access to the settings in the same way a decent re-mapper would have access to in the OEM stuff. Played around with these settings/maps etc enough over the years to get a decent understanding of how maps work etc.

I wouldn't let using the car in different climatic conditions put me off having a remap, as the correction values would work in exactly way. So you would only see the same relative loss of power you would with the standard map in higher elevations. Fuel quality is a much more critical element.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:25 am

techathy is completely correct about the JB4.

It works well as a meth controller and and has some nice little gimmicks like shift lights and gauge hijacking but as a boost controller it's just not needed. It's an absolute train wreck on a car with a DCT transmission. The developer seems like a really nice guy who is doing his best to keep his product relevant but piggybacks are only ever a fudge for when you have no ECU access.

stuartinzg is also correct about MHD.
MHD is by far the best option for anyone wanting to tune their car and with a custom tune from Wedge Performance you get to specify exactly what you want from the map.
I know some people like to believe that these remap garages are run by tuning professionals but the sad truth is that these garage based tuners are to car ECU tuning what staff in PC World are to IT experts.

I know his comment may have come across as an "I told you so" but I can see his point. There's an entire forum devoted to ECU tuning on E90Post which is extremely active and 99% of people there either have COBB, MHD or a JB4. There's a good reason nobody bothers visiting a garage to get a remap anymore.

But it's good to see you have the car on the road again without the financial pain of getting a replacement ECU :thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:01 am

Sorry to hear about your issues maniac, I get the distinct impression from the J.E . Episode and your story, that this engine customizing /car tuning/ remapping business is a total minefield ,I know nothing about modern car electrics, but the risk to your pride and joy being ruined is such that I wouldn't bother . These companies seem to just lie ,suck you in ,say they can do the job ,nonchalantly screw it up hand you your keys back with a shrug of the shoulders . Are any of you guys still contemplating this course of action , if yes then I think you are bonkers ,bit of a strong statement I know. As a layman I know these cars electrics are ridiculously complicated ,And yet look at some of these back street outfits who claim huge results ,and I think , your a cowboy mate ,hi ho silver away with his money.
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:13 am

If you must tune the car then I would always go the AC Schnitzer or Birds route with some kind of warranty. Nothing wrong with tuning so long as you accept potential pitfalls however why not just get a more powerful motor if that's what you crave.

Tim.

Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:48 am

I agree with Titan Tim , if you want more power upgrade your car , unless I was 100% certain the outfit was good and had a guaranteed track record with members testimonials all over the place I would not do it.these cars are bonkers complex How much power do you need maniac ? And will it affect the resale potential / insurance ?
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:17 am

Glad you got it all sorted, you must have breathed a huge sigh of relief.!!
A Dirty M///

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:10 am

Really good result - back to square one but at least at no cost and an experience gained and a warning shared with others.

Regarding more power in a 35is I really can't see how it can be exploited on the road, or even a track. The chassis/handling on these is, IMHO, only just coping with the existing power and without mechanical changes any power increase will be wasted - except for the straight line traffic light Grand Prix and/or bragging rights down the pub!

If the addition of a LSD and better tyres etc. isn't attractive how about spending money on high performance driving courses. I'm not talking about track experiences in supercars I'm talking about proper instruction in how to drive bloody quick but in safety. It's a route I have followed and it's been worth every penny.
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:16 am

The arrogance of some people never fails to amaze me!
On one hand they tell you they know nothing about the subject. Yet then quite bizarrely, act like they are the world foremost authority on the subject and feel qualified to make broad brush statements about the folks that do know what they they are talking about and go down these routes being fools and the companies that provide these services all being cowboys and charlatans!
Honestly I am gob smacked they really think any one cares about their ignorant, overly simplistic opinions
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)